Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: February 20, 2017 09:36AM

We want to move on from Keurig to fresh ground coffee. What is a good coffee grinder and good coffee beans? Is there a grinder where you put the beans in and it grinds the correct amount for a cup of coffee.

Being BIC sure left lacking in certain skills and we all know women like men with skills. Like Bow Staff Skills and coffee making skills.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2017 09:36AM by themaster.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mav ( )
Date: February 20, 2017 09:51AM

Coffee beans from Costco. Starbucks says up to 2 tablespoons of ground coffee for a cup.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2017 10:42AM by mav.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 20, 2017 09:55AM

I have this one:

https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-114213/cuisinart-supreme-grind-automatic-burr-mill.jsp?ci_mcc=ci&utm_campaign=SMALL%20ELECTRICS&utm_medium=CSE&utm_source=google&utm_product=87773003&CID=shopping15&gclid=CjwKEAiAxKrFBRDm25f60OegtwwSJABgEC-ZWgL6O_kRSNwQ97c1E9aldCA1IzprIaMJRJpVDX1d0xoCVBbw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CLPMqMf2ntICFRo7TwodwrEORw

It's reasonably "automatic" -- set your grind, decide how much to grind, and turn it on. It turns itself off when it's done. There are much more expensive "automatic" ones, but this is a reasonable compromise between function and price :)

Incidentally, you don't have to give up your Keurig. I use the Keurig "My K-Cup" filter, and grind my own coffee, now and then. I mostly only do that on weekends, or when I'm out of my good-quality K-cups. Of course, if you want a pot of coffee instead of a cup, that's a different story...

http://www.keurig.com/content/reusable-coffee-filter?cm_mmc=pdsch-_-Brand_Brew_Accesories-_-gog-_-Filter_BMM_mkwid|s8N2Tz5cs|pcrid|155288382879|pkw|%2Bkeurig%20%2Bfilter|pmt|b|pdv|c|&utm_source=gog&utm_medium=pdsch&utm_term=Brand_Brew_Accesories&utm_campaign=Filter_BMM&utm_content=mkwid|s8N2Tz5cs|pcrid|155288382879|pkw|%2Bkeurig%20%2Bfilter|pmt|b|pdv|c|product||

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: February 20, 2017 12:19PM

I have that exact same grinder and highly recommend it.

Posted by: Facsimile 3 ( )
Date: February 20, 2017 11:16AM

When we moved off our Keurig, we went with the automated espresso machine below that was available at Costco at the time.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005MMN4DG/ref=asc_df_B005MMN4DG4847397

We prefer dark roast, but medium roast is supposedly "more healthy", so we buy the 2 lb version of the Ruta Maya beans below at Costco.

https://www.costco.com/Ruta-Maya%C2%AE-Organic-Medium-Roast-Whole-Bean-Coffee-5-lb.-Bag.product.100041370.html

In lieu of sugar/milk, I place about 15 Ghiradelli 60% dark chocolate chips in the bottom of the cup before brewing a big double cup and then stir in about 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil. Topping it off with another single cup and then a shot of espresso when about halfway done drinking (yes, I am an OCD creature of habit).

https://www.amazon.com/Ghirardelli-Chocolate-Baking-Chips-Bittersweet/dp/B004YVOFB6

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 20, 2017 11:19AM

you left the church only because you want to sin.

Posted by: Facsimile 3 ( )
Date: February 20, 2017 11:26AM

That is a good point and exactly why I would recommend a more automatic machine. If you want to maximize your time to eat, drink, and be merry, then you don't want to get bogged down measuring coffee beans/grounds.

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: February 20, 2017 12:14PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> you left the church only because you want to sin.

Yes - but only because I wanted to drink coffee not because but the church of the almost dead Cult of zombies is a lying organization.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 20, 2017 11:19AM

I know real coffee lovers think only fresh ground is acceptable, but I just don't want the bother.

As for measuring, exact coffee measure scoops are the easiest. The ones I have were free when I've bought coffee makers or coffee packages over the years or it's easy to pick one up at any store that sells quality measuring spoons.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: February 20, 2017 01:00PM

For grinders, most quality burr grinders do feature a setting for how many cups to brew (plus, burr grinders are more consistent in grind size than crappy blade grinders).
For beans, it's up to your preferences. Dark roasts are much less acidic, but the lighter roasts are more flavorful (Except Starbucks, where beans of all roasts taste burnt). Most supermarkets should have sections of whole bean coffee, and if you have local roasters, think about stopping by there.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 20, 2017 01:39PM

We've got a Cuisinart grinder. And we also have a single serving filter for our Keurig where we can use our own coffee.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.