Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: February 20, 2017 06:16PM

I'm not that stubborn, somehow I think my father told them I had foot surgery. So unless it may be a bad idea that I don't see I say accept the help in these situations.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Now a Gentile ( )
Date: February 20, 2017 06:25PM

Many years ago I "broke" something. Was in surgery many hours rebuilding it. I was laid up for over three months. Nary a sign of ward members at my door. I got better responses from my insurance company and they were giving me money.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: February 20, 2017 06:27PM

That would be welcome relief, no doubt. :)

Date: February 20, 2017 06:36PM

It is welcome the conversations so far have been a little awkward they know I haven't been to church in quite some time but other than that not having to make my meals right now has been pretty nice

Date: February 20, 2017 06:37PM

Or mean that they want me to die right haha jk

Date: February 20, 2017 06:31PM

Three months good Lord its only been three days so far with me and its been hell, so nobody from any ward helped you at all with anything?

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: February 20, 2017 06:34PM

Just so you know ... when they bring you "funeral potatoes" it doesn't mean they think you're dying.

; )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2017 06:34PM by lurking in.

Date: February 20, 2017 06:39PM

Or mean that they want you to die right? Haha jk

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: February 22, 2017 12:36AM

listed "favorite foods" from each state. For Utah, they listed "funeral potatoes," AKA "Mormon funeral potatoes!" I had to explain to my formerly TBM DH what those were!!!

Date: February 22, 2017 01:39AM

I don't think I've ever seen those

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: February 20, 2017 06:44PM

Just consider it as a partial payback from your tithing.

Date: February 20, 2017 08:01PM

That's exactly how I'm kinda looking at it

Date: February 20, 2017 07:55PM

Well, the spread the Relief Society had for the funeral two days ago was really lovely. They really went all out for my cousin's funeral. Even though cousin had moved away years ago (it was where she'd grown up.)

They were really sweet to do that. No one looked unhappy to be there. It was a gift of love from those people. They are simple country folk. That's a big departure from some of the city folk I had the misfortune of knowing.

The only one who didn't want to be there who made it known was a singer. She just wanted to be somewhere else for her Saturday. Since she wasn't related, can't say as I can blame her. She was volunteered, rather than volunteered herself.

Date: February 20, 2017 08:04PM

What did you end up wearing to that funeral that white dress I suggested? Haha jk

Date: February 20, 2017 08:38PM

I wore a dressy top over slacks, with a sweater.

It was cold, so by the time we went to the cemetery was glad I dressed for the inclement weather.

Afterwards I drove to a different cemetery on my way back to the airport to put flowers on another ancestor's grave, and got stuck in a snowbank. Was glad I was dressed for inclement weather there too.

It didn't stop me from getting a speeding ticket though. Next time I'll pay more attention to the speed zones. It's 80 mph on the Interstate through Idaho and Utah. Yet on the secondary highways it's 65 mph. Why it isn't posted as clearly I don't know. Although I should've known better.

I was trying to clear my lungs of the formaldehyde when I was speeding, and trying to get to SLC before dark. Didn't work. I ended up back tracking because the windy roads between Bear Lake and Logan, or Bear Lake and Preston were formidable, so I went back the way I came from which cost me probably another 100 miles out of my way (but drivable miles.) Where the same route I got my speeding ticket the first time.

Never plan a trip thinking you're going to save money. It never works. The speeding ticket alone is $155. Ouch. I was so upset, but the officer didn't care I'd just come from a funeral or was going to a cemetery to put flowers on my great grandpa's grave. He had a quota to make.

And I learned a valuable lesson: don't speed in Idaho. They won't nab you for going under the speed limit, but they will for going over it. The roadway was actually safer than the interstate - straight through and wide open. The cops must love it - it's a road trap!

One good thing that came of that drive though is that I ruled out Bear Lake as a retirement community! With only one route of ingress and egress, it isn't someplace I can see myself living year round. The Logan and Preston routes are "accessible" but dangerous in the wintertime, and iffy in the best driving conditions. I didn't realize how bad the Preston route was before Saturday when I attempted it. Once I reached the Caribou Forest, with snow closing in on both sides of the narrow roadway, I turned the car around and went back the way I came. Eek!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2017 09:39PM by Amyjo.

Date: February 20, 2017 11:18PM

Yikes that bear lake to Logan route through the canyon is rough my grandma used to live in garden city so I know what you are talking about. I am not surprised you got a ticket here in Idaho either if they can tell that you are not from here you will get a ticket its ridiculous like if you only have one license plate they will pull you over. I'm getting tired of the cold.

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 09:01PM

badassadam Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yikes that bear lake to Logan route through the
> canyon is rough my grandma used to live in garden
> city so I know what you are talking about. I am
> not surprised you got a ticket here in Idaho
> either if they can tell that you are not from here
> you will get a ticket its ridiculous like if you
> only have one license plate they will pull you
> over. I'm getting tired of the cold.

One license plates- 30 years ago I moved from Georgia (one license plate only) to Arizona and decided to make a side trip to Utah. On the way back from Salt Lake to Phoenix this Utah Highway Patrol saw my car had only one plate and he came flying across the medium (about 1/4 mile I kid you not it was that wide). He must have thought he had caught Satan's Son. It was a Sunday and the SOB kept me for almost an hour trying to trick me into saying something wrong. OMG. Finally he was told Georgia only issued one plate and he had to let me go. Made me late for my date in Phoenix.

Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: February 20, 2017 08:23PM

I agree, good for you. Accept help where ever it comes from.

Date: February 20, 2017 08:35PM

I think it's paying off.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 04:44AM

Taking food, gifts, or favors from mormons comes with a price. They assume you owe them. They then expect you to welcome them whenever they show up to preach at you and invite you to meetings. If that idea doesn't bother you, then it's fine to accept as much food as they'll dish out.

Date: February 21, 2017 06:11PM

Shit I did think about that last night now the war to get them to leave me alone in the future will be much much harder.

Date: February 21, 2017 06:28PM

Not if you put a "Gone fishing" sign on your door. Don't answer when they come by (unless you want to.)

I once told the mishies to go away through the door. They got the hint.

Date: February 21, 2017 06:41PM

Nice I like it I don't think I'd be as nice as you just saying go away

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.