Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: QuestioningRM ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 09:19PM

So basically on my mission, I had an accident and ended up with trauma to my mouth which caused an infection in a root, and a root canal was required. As a missionary I was so scared to push the church to cover the expenses, even though it says in the white handbook they cover anything except ROUTINE dental work. Long story short, my mom got billed, and we didnt have the money for anything more than the root canal (namely a crown). Now I need a crown, is there any way to get the church to pay for it since it happened on my mission?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: canary21 ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 10:08PM

Sure. You served your mission and this happened while you were performing your duties. This was an accident.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 10:51PM

Not a snowball's chance in hell.

There are hundreds of returned missionaries struggling years after their missions with medical needs. The church does not spend one red cent to help.

You may try the local bishop. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

Good luck to you.

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 11:14PM

What a cruel, selfish church. I think they should pay these missionaries a "modest stipend" as well as give them full medical benefits.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: February 22, 2017 01:53PM

Yup, and it's the exact opposite. Missionaries have to PAY to go on a mission and they're expected to provide their own medical insurance as well, IIRC.

Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 11:27PM

I think it is a good idea to talk to your bishop, or even your mission president. It may depend on how long you have been home, and what your relationship is with your MP and bishop. Can't hurt to ask.

Posted by: Agnes Broomhead ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 11:20PM

What did Doug Llewellyn always say on The People's Court?

I'm assuming this is considered small claims (I'm not a lawyer).

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 11:26PM

So some 25 years after serving a mission; my TBM mom drops a bombshell in one of our casual conversations last month. She confesses that she took out additional insurance on me when I left to serve the church.

So I asked her what prompted her to take on additional payments. She replied, "I knew that if you got seriously hurt or even died while serving that the church wouldn't cover any expenses in such a tragedy."

And yet she still gladly sends in her $$$ to the fraud. :(

And this is the same "great" organization that begrudgingly loaned me 50 dollars when the monthly missionary payment got missed for one month. Do you know how hard it is to survive on 1.66 per day?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2017 11:29PM by messygoop.

Posted by: canary21 ( )
Date: February 22, 2017 12:34PM

This whole missionary thing sounds like a bad business deal. I feel ever more sad for the hardworking missionaries living on a budget and working themselves to the bone like this. I'm so glad I will be a nice memory to them since I always bought them hot chocolate from Starbucks and apples w/caramel dip :( I hope they leave the church, too. The missionary I am fond of, his dad got ex-communicated :P

Yep, the church milks every penny and steals/cheats them of their happiness. I am almost certain one of the sons of the current 1st counselor of the bishopric at the family ward I visit will leave TSCC some day, too (the kid's testimony consists of philosophical questions). Yep, strong possibility that kid is out the door.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: February 22, 2017 12:35PM

My friend was janitor (when they were paid), and took a new post on the CA coast in a moldy old LDS building. She got some crap in her lungs.

She was hospitalized for a long time and then died.

Did the church help her? Hell.No.

Not one cent!!!!

NOt $.001 !!!!

Her dad and her brother, both bishops, were enraged over it. I hope they have left the church by now.

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: February 22, 2017 01:10PM

Lawyer was willing to take cases of RMs who had serious medical issues on their missions. Maybe Eric can help with his contact info?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 22, 2017 05:23PM

Did you maintain some of the paperwork, hospital reports, or other records relating to your injury? If you have established a paper trail, write a letter to the missionary department at the COB and ask them how you submit a claim or otherwise arrange for payment. A letter serves as an official notice. See what they say.

The possibility always exists that you can take the church to small claims. But I would make sure that you have all documentation first.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.