Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SAMATHA12 ( )
Date: February 25, 2017 09:16PM

Has anyone made the hard decision to divorce their TBM spouse? I still love my husband with everything in me but I have also come to realize we cannot continue the way things are going. The resentment that has built up in him because of me leaving the church is huge and so very damaging. He has become so distant and vengeful. He can't handle me even speaking positively about the church and his family is getting involved and taking his side which is leaving me feeling even more isolated than I already was. Part of me feels me asking for a divorce is just around the corner. I just need one more big push or incident and another part of me feels i will just keep hanging on until things are so bad there is no turning back. I know that isn't healthy but it's so hard when it comes to love. If he could just work through his resentment and make efforts. Show affection etc I know we could work through this. I think he sees it as I am the problem. I broke our temple covenants, I left the church, I am a liar, I am not who I said I was, I am the sinner, etc, etc. And family and church keep reinforcing those thoughts with him. I feel like I am fighting a loosing battle. Has anyone else been here?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: February 25, 2017 10:18PM

my suggestion(S):

q. Do U feel (any) love from him? Love is the Foundation of a happy, healthy relationship

Ask him if 'live & let live' is on his (& yours?) agenda/menu

the answers to those questions will show the way, IMHO.

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: February 25, 2017 10:20PM

Sorry, I forgot to mention:

Love isn't a mystery; its expressions are

Kindness, Honesty, & Respect.

Posted by: gatorman ( )
Date: February 25, 2017 10:40PM

Many on the Board here have had similar experiences...and more often than not you are fighting a losing battle. When you want an answer you must go directly to the source. Ask your husband what are his wishes. If your return to the church is the mandate then I think you prepare by copying all tax returns for five years, W2's, retirement accounts, mortgage statements. Are you secure in your own career? You don't mention children but that is a remarkably complicating factor. Where you live- the Mormon Corridor for instance- could have bearing. Finally seek attorney counsel for understanding the laws where you live. Hopefully other members will now step forward...EdZachery are you reading? This soul could use your insight

Gatorman
9-4
23-6
5-1

Posted by: Edzachery nli ( )
Date: February 26, 2017 08:15AM

I'm so sorry for your situation, Samatha12. As Gatorman had mentioned, I'm going through this very thing right now. I'm afraid I have to agree with those who have already posted saying that it is very much an uphill battle for you. Please understand that, despite their constant preaching to the contrary, LDS , Inc is not about love: they require absolute conformance...anything less is paramount to "falling away," making you an apostate. As my soon-to-be-ex TBM uttered, in the LDS world, "EVERYTHING IS CONDITIONAL." There is no such thing as love for its own sake: any feelings of love must always be accompanied by "pay, pray, and obey" like a good morgbot...
I agree wholeheartedly with Gatorman's counsel; his counsel to me has always been spot-on: get the financial picture in order first. You cannot change your tbm spouse. He, and his family, love LDS, Inc: nothing (or nobody) else. I have received an incredible amount of support and great advice from the folks here at RfM. This is the chapter of your life where you re-learn how to live your own life, how to feel and show real love,and to understand that no matter how many facts or how much logic or reason are applied to a cult such as LDS, Inc, the tbm members of such an organization will keep right on believing their delusions: "drinking the koolaid" as it were. You can't save them...so save yourself and your own sanity.
Big hugs to you, my dear friend. Many people on this board are going through exactly what you are going through. Don't hesitate to reach out to the folks who post here. Hang in there. Things will get better.

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: February 25, 2017 10:45PM

First of all, living with such a negative situation is not going to be something that you can do, and still have a decent quality of life. There is a limit to how much any person can live as a human punching bag in a family full of angry boxers.

So, something has to change. If you haven't, already, talk to your husband. Tell him how much you love him and that your love for him has nothing to do with your leaving the Mormon church. Tell him that if he is willing to work things out, you will be there working alongside him.

But it has to be between the two of you. Not between you and him and him and his family and you and his family. His family needs to learn to act with respect towards you, and he needs to insist on that.

But if he is only going to continue to try to punish you for your beliefs, it will never work. Tell him that. This is not all on you to make a decision. *He* has a choice. He can either learn to follow his own religion's articles of faith, and work with you on making a good life. Or get out.

Right now, he and his family are pretending to be such righteous people, but in fact, they are acting in complete disregard to their faith's teaching and the express statements of the faith's leadership. They have no standing for criticizing you. Their faith requires them to worship "Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may." And, yes, that is the inclusive "men" meaning all men and all women. Even you.

They have no moral high ground to stand on. I'd suggest going forward constructively, maybe with (non-Mormon) counseling, as long as your husband is willing to do the same thing. But if he is not, then he has decided that he wants to end the relationship. It is,sadly, that simple. However, first, try to get him to understand that nothing will work for you both, unless he begins to treat you with, as GNPE1 said, kindness, honesty, and respect.

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: February 25, 2017 10:48PM

Well I have always wondered if I had pretended for a TBM girl and been that fake TBM guy until marriage and farther down the road what would happen, good thing to know the facade doesn't last and it will eventually end up in divorce most likely or it just gets hostile in the home, good to know.

Date: February 25, 2017 11:08PM

But as for fighting a losing battle I was always losing against the Mormons and my family since birth it seems even at my best I still was never good enough to even go in the weird temples soo it's my destiny to stay away, they win when it comes to who's the most weird I won't fight anymore.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: February 26, 2017 12:10AM

Yup, you'd be better off thrusting your weeny into a loaded bear trap.

Date: February 26, 2017 01:19AM

Hahahaha I'm laughing but it's probably true.

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: February 25, 2017 10:49PM

I'm sorry, Samantha, that this is happening to you. I am fortunate because my husband disbelieves right along with me. We have no family to interfere. In case it has to happen, start working to protect your assets now. Start making the plans of where you will live, etc. Again, I am so sorry.

Posted by: de ja vue ( )
Date: February 25, 2017 11:16PM

IMO your husband has already ended the marriage and his anger toward you is simply how he is choosing to give you the message. You know you are a good person. Maintain your self worth by not personalizing his comments. Let him own his behavior. This is about him not you.

I think you already know where your situation is going and aware of what you need to prepare for. Do not let that paralyze you. Begin working through your grief by accepting where you are, and where he is, and taking the time to line up your ducks by moving forward.

Get copies of all your financials (as was mentioned above), start checking out attorney's, stay as amicable as you can but do not take any more abuse, mentally, verbal, emotional, nor physical.

I hope you will be proactive rather than reactive. Letting go and moving on can be scary and painful but your life is waiting for you.

<<< Hugs to you.>>>

Please keep us posted.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: February 25, 2017 11:35PM

If he sees you as breaking the marital contract, then he may see you as the one who "breached the covenant," and therefore that voids the vows you both made (if he's that draconian.)

If there's more underlying love than the church controlling his passion, he might see past that.

Only you know his heart, next to him.

If your marriage has become insufferable, it may be time for you to start looking for a divorce attorney to represent your interests.

The big difference between you and him is you've grown apart from not just the religion, but him too. The distance might as well be an ocean between you. If you can't bridge it, it sounds like your marriage is nearing its natural end whether you force it to or not.

Maybe weigh the pros and cons of staying in the marriage vs splitting. There's always a cost factor. You give something up to gain something.

Have you tried marriage counseling yet? Or personal therapy? When you can't get the hubby to go with you, personal therapy will give you sound feedback you need to help you make a more clear headed decision as to whether you should go or stay in the marriage. Hubby may force that outcome too, if you don't.

Best wishes either way.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 25, 2017 11:46PM

Expectations play a HUGE role in these things, Not Only his & yours, but family, friends & 'the church'.

If his family isn't 'tied in the wool' tbm, or even just kind, sensible folks, that might help the marriage / relationship survive.

Remember, with MANY tbms, it's CHURCH FIRST, no matter what the GAs say about living a Christ-Like life/family values, etc.

Don't be naive, but give love, no matter what; If anyone 'faults' you for that, Their Loss!

Honesty, Kindness, Respect, & a good dose of (appropriate) affection: Those are the starting points.

Posted by: logged out NLI ( )
Date: February 25, 2017 11:57PM

First off, realize that TBMs such as your husband and in-laws are children. They are essentially nothing more than a pack of five-year-olds throwing a tantrum when they can't get extra dessert.

I hope you have family of your own for support.

"The resentment that has built up in him because of me leaving the church"

This implies that you're the one at fault, that you caused it. NO. That's not accurate. He's resentful because THE CULT tells him that he should be, because THE CULT reinforces that view at every opportunity, because THE CULT insists that those who leave are unworthy and inferior. It's a big deal only because THE CULT makes it so. It's not you, it's THE CULT. Please lock that understanding into your mind.

You can love your husband, but it sounds as if he's doing his best to bully and shame you back into belief, or at least submissive compliance. If he's not willing to give an inch, and you're unable to be his meek little doormat, then sad to say it will be tough to work out. Protect yourself with all the other advice you're getting here.

It could very well be that you've outgrown him. He's still a child, while you're an adult.

Date: February 26, 2017 01:36AM

Good point I noticed myself that since I left my mind isn't as childish, I think the cult tries to keep all the adults as children without them even realizing it, because its way easier to control grown adults that act like kids mentally.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: February 26, 2017 12:29AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2017 07:31PM by want2bx.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 26, 2017 12:44AM

How long have you been married? Do you have minor children?

I would try counseling if he will go with you. As others have stated, get copies of all financials and put them in a safe place.

Posted by: butterfly48 ( )
Date: February 26, 2017 12:45AM

I wonder how you accept the difference between the husband the you love, and the husband that is infected my the Cult?
I think I can sometimes separate and be forgiving.
IT is so complicated. Be angry at the Church/Cult.
You have my sympathy.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 26, 2017 01:13AM

I don't think LDS Cultists know/understand/live Love like most other people do, U might already be aware of that. Many posters say that LDS marriages are like living 100% of their lives with a third-party (Yes, including in the bedroom).

TBMs believe that's a good thing if not an Essential for Exaltation part of their lives; for too many, that won't ever change.

Posted by: incognitotoday ( )
Date: February 26, 2017 09:03AM

My TBM spouse divorced me. There is no middle ground for them. No reasoning. No empathy. No compassion. Their entire life is directed by fear. They cannot love. Fear and image.

I feel your pain. You love him. He loves the church. Is it worth your love to be forever manipulated?

It may seem really sad today, but if you leave, one day you'll be in awe of the backside of the waterfall.

Posted by: NeverMoJohn ( )
Date: February 26, 2017 12:13PM

You may have left the Mormon church, but that is not the reason that you are in this position now. He is treating you with resentment. That is what is breaking up the relationship. Be clear about that in your own mind. There is no need for him to treat you badly, because you left Mormonism. That is his choice. He could choose to treat you with kindness and respect. He could still make that choice if he wants to save your marriage.

I agree with those who recommend (nonMormon) counseling. If he isn't interesting in counseling or treating you with kindness and respect, then I would agree with those above who advised you how to prepare yourself for a divorce.

Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: February 26, 2017 12:34PM

What you are going through is very painful. It would help to know how long you have been out, if there are children. When I told my TBM husband, almost a year ago, that I no longer believed, I expected that it
would be very hard and might take a long time for him to accept it. It has been extremely hard on both of us. From the beginning, I told him that I don't expect him to feel the same about the church as I do now,
and that I support his continued activity and devotion. And that I would expect that he would respect my beliefs. In my mind, I decided to give him at least a year to kind of get used to it. So, there has been a lot
of anger, pain, harsh words, but we seem to be past that. He now does seem to accept me, and we show love and respect for each other. In some ways we are better than ever.

I recognize that that is not possible for everyone. Both spouses have to be willing. One of his temple covenants was to be with you forever. You might ask him if he plans to keep that covenant. Being with you
must include love, respect, fun, work, etc. His family needs to stay out of it.

And he will need plenty of time to adjust to the "new you."

Counseling is a good idea, especially if you have children. Whether you stay together or divorce, counseling can help you work together to parent the kids.

Good luck! We all know that this is so very hard.

Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: February 26, 2017 01:10PM

This has happened to me after 10 years of marriage. I loved her very much with no conditions. for her, our marriage was based on conditions other then the normal; love, respect, attention, etc. The real deciding factor was the "a member in good standing" condition. Me leaving tscc was our downfall. Loving her, respecting her, being a good husband / person, etc, etc meant nothing. We stayed together another year but it was strained. She could never get past me not believing, not attending and so on. I as a person and a husband didn't change, but that mattered not.

While talking with her during the year after I left tscc I asked her this.

1) Do you love me more then the church? Her answer; I love who you are. My answer to the same question; Yes I do.

2) do you want our marriage to work? Her answer;I want a priesthood holder who I can trust to follow the teachings of the church. My answer; Yes I do.

End result, we divorced.

The thing is we are still very good friends. I am very much excepted as a friend. Why? because of the good person she knows me to be. Because she knows I respect her and care for her. All the good traits she loved about me and were a big reason she married me (was not a member. Converted after marriage) in the first place. These are all wonderful to her as friends but were meaningless in comparison to belief in tscc.

What you described in his reaction and treatment of you since you left is exactly what I experienced. The distance, the smart-ass comments, the accusations from her mind following what tscc teaches about people who have denied the LDS gospel.

It's a sad time and a very hard time. The worst is losing her respect as a husband. And realizing her true love for me was conditional in the LDS belief and following the rules thereof.You live your marriage thing that the love and commitment is much deeper then that as mine was for her, only to realize it was not that way with her. This was and still is very painful and hard to understand.

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: February 26, 2017 01:51PM

It's so sad that the Mormon church trains its members to believe that the church is everything, all important, and that anyone who leaves the church is bad, evil, a sinner.

How awful to brainwash people into believing that following the church is more important than being a kind, loving, generous, honest person. Having priesthood authority in a family is the one prime consideration. Not how good husband a man is. Not how good father he is. Not how decent and caring.

All that matters is that he holds the priesthood. And that he can call his wife out of the grave so that she can join him in heaven. Because the all-loving, all-powerful heavenly father can't imagine a way to simply let righteous women get into heaven automatically. And if a woman dies get into heaven without a man leading her, god will assign her to some total stranger, as his plural wife. No choice on her part. (Probably, she'd get stuck with Brigham Young or Boyd Packer --- oh, wait, now I see why women would be so upset....)

Posted by: wht me worry? ( )
Date: February 26, 2017 01:45PM

Thanks Summer, I was wondering when someone would recommend counseling.

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: March 09, 2017 02:43AM

I hope that you are working things out successfully.

Posted by: Iceman ( )
Date: March 09, 2017 09:37AM

It happened the same for me. The unnattanable expection of mormonism ruined a great family. Being a bit bitter i picked 6 of the best attornies in my area and got my free consultation. Once doing that she could not hire them and it left the bottom feeders. I selected the best one that knew what mormonism did to families and full tilt on her.

Posted by: scootergirl57 ( )
Date: March 09, 2017 10:38AM

I couldnt take the meaness and judgement of a TBM husband. So sorry, I hope it gets better for you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2017 10:38AM by scootergirl57.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: March 09, 2017 04:01PM

I've written a lot on the subject of marriage to a TBM and how I handled it.

This is a long, detailed post. Maybe there is something here that can be helpful to you.

REPOST-Long: Staying Married-How I made it work with a believing husband.

This is part of my personal history. It has been updated a few times. The core topic is how I stayed married and made it work with a believing husband.
I am reposting this as it is a subject that comes up almost daily here.

Here goes:
As most of you know, my husband of 50+ years died Jan 12, 2013. During much of his declining health, religion was never an topic -it was a non issue. I respected and honored his right to his beliefs and he did the same for me.

This is a repeat post -- updated.... people come and go from the board and many are faced with the problem of making a "part-member" marriage work.

That has been my situation for several years now. I am often asked about how I do it.
This is an overview and a little background from some prior posts. (updated)

Everyone's situation is different. It requires compromise, negotiation, some things that are not always easy to do. It also requires that the need to be a "right fighter" is dismissed.

I recognized, early on, that I needed to accept that we both have rights.
There is a right that we often forget. :-)
The right to believe in Mormonism.
That comes into play when one partner changes their mind about their beliefs in the LDS Church's claims and the other holds onto them.

I was a convert as a young adult woman---Mormon for over three decades--certainly, if anyone understood that I would! As a young adult convert, it was my "adopted tribe." I adjusted to the culture shock, especially when we landed in Utah in Wymount Terrace Married Student Housing. It wasn't easy, but I made it work, including trying to find work. Besides, I am a bulldog - I have a tenacious personality, I will do the work to find a way for the best outcome!

When I could no longer accept or believe the claims, (another story for another time), I had a big dilemma: how do we handle that in our marriage? I had changed my mind. My husband had not and never did.

I was done. Through. Not going to be a Mormon anymore. I needed to tell my husband, and interestingly, he accepted it and asked what I needed from him. Some background incidents had prepared him, somewhat.
I told him I needed him to live the 11th Article of Faith and he said he would, and he has. He had some warning. He knew I was not content with many things in the LDS Church for some time.
(11th Article of Faith: We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may. )

Also, it seemed reasonable to "take turns" about a few things. We had done it his way for over 30 years, now he could do it my way, about a few things. And we did! :-) We had some rough spots about that, but we worked them out.

I completely stopped attending the LDS Church in my late 50's, sometime in 1998 after some traumatic events. The last one was The Man in the Restroom story. That was the "Last Straw" = the impetus for figuring out "what is wrong with this picture" which lead to months of research and study, much on line and from books and from a family member doing the same thing.

A few years later, my husband retired. I had retired earlier from my last business that I owned. Later,I resigned my membership, officially in 2002.

That incident (plus others in the past) got my attention enough for me to do some serious investigating (not what the missionaries do!) and determine exactly how I wanted to live my life. That led to me changing my mind completely. I felt confident about that as, I was taught: "It's a woman's prerogative to change her mind."

One Big Lesson I needed to learn,(after making a big mess):
just because I changed my mind, that is no guarantee my spouse will,or anyone else for that matter. We cannot control other people.

And why would he? Initially, I had the expectation that if I changed my mind, everyone else would. Ahh...not so fast, it does not work that way. Everyone else (LDS folks I knew) was not even interested in what I had to say! In fact, they thought I had lost my mind or at a minimum been offended. Well, sure, I would say, if everyone that had ever been offended didn't come to church, there would be no one there! :-)

But that was not the reason I left. The claims, (metaphysical, supernatural visionary), that young whipper snapper, Joseph Smith Jr. told about golden plates and angels, etc. that created the God Myth that is still working today cemented by it's generational, cultural, traditional religious rituals. That was the core of my need to change my mind. Not enough verifiable evidence.
Trying to discuss anything to do with the real history that challenged my husband's testimony/spiritual witness was not getting any traction. It soon became clear to me that It was not my place to launch on some campaign of "opening his eyes."

I was also 100% certain that there is no way my believing husband of over seven decades would change his mind about his beliefs in Mormonism.
I used to think it was just a matter of some information, or hey, look what I found, did you know this, but I did not take into consideration the immense power of the spiritual witness and the power of the belief by faith. That was a wall I could not surmount. And, believe me, I tried.

The power of the spiritual witness is at the core of a solid, unwavering testimony. A good lesson: never discount the level of intensity of that spiritual witness. It is often life-long and never changes. It is held by faith and to challenge it is to defy their belief in God and their Savior. That's a huge: no-no!

What I initially failed to take into account, was the power of that belief by faith that others have, that is paramount in Christianity in general, as I well know, coming from a long line of Christian ministers. Nothing new there. They didn't change their faith, or change their mind either. Never.

Well. ....What to do?

Hmmm..... I needed to set some priorities and make a decision that would have the best possible outcome and pay attention to some basic facts of life: nobody can change anybody else. I had to sit with that for a long time to finally "get it."

I have a "fix-it" personality. I was sure, initially, that I just needed to change my tactics. Not so. I needed to understand that some things were not within my power and to let it go. Yes, let it go. Just stop.

I had to do the work to let go of the emotional attachment to the expectation (a little Buddhism helped me with this), and that I did not have the power to change another person. That was a biggie! My observation is that few people in this life ever "get" that one!

Did I want to be one of those folks that hang onto the emotional attachment to negativity: anger, hate, bitterness, resentment, disdain, etc? NOPE. Not me. I don't like being treated: less-than, or stupid, dumb, or not OK especially because of my beliefs. Why would I want to do that to someone else?

I have the kind of mind that sees: The Big Picture, takes an Objective View as much as possible, and finds the middle road that works most effectively with compromise and negotiation. I know the power of negativity on the whole person: mentally, and physically. I was not going to "go there."

I determined to keep my self respect, and self confidence in top shape and not fall into thinking patterns that would sabotage my process.
Then I needed to ask myself:
Can I make peace with that?
Can I let it go?
Can I leave it alone and not make it an issue? (This was very hard, initially!) Can I just be quiet about it and not harp on it to people who don't give a rats arse?

Then I learned something that took me a some time to finally "get" -- it's only an issue if I make it one! That's true about almost everything in a marriage relationship. Stop picking at the sore spot, it won't heal!

Ahh... I had options -- and lots of them. I didn't have to make my decision into more than it was -- nor make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Maybe, sometimes, people just give in. They can't out-talk or out-fight their partner, they are worn down, exhausted, can't fight anymore, so they acquiesce and go along to get along! But did I want that? Clearly -- no.

Maybe, just maybe, the marriage and that investment of love, time, family, financial, emotional issues, etc. is much, much, much more important that a difference of opinion about some beliefs !
Could I make peace with that?
You bet I could! Probably helped a lot that I was a convert and had a couple of decades of life prior to Mormonism that was part of who I was also.

I realized early on that I needed to give myself permission to do the work to find my own path to inner happiness and peace. And, that is what happened, little by little.

Making Peace with it all was not a conscious goal, it was the result of the process of rewriting thinking scripts left over from Mormonism, (another post with a long list-getting myself Un-Mormonized!), seeing The Big Picture and creating my new World View, all the while protecting my self respect, self confidence, etc. I was OK all along. Making peace with my life, all of it was the natural result.

That meant I was learning to process the past, let it go and focus on living in the Now. It's not easy; my mind, like most folks, likes to go back and rework things, repeat the past in my head, fix what is long gone. But did I need that? NOPE! Sure didn't.

That included making peace with my life as a Mormon and making peace with my life as a former Mormon. That meant I needed to understand something about the past: there were no: wouldas, shouldas, couldas, what if's. (Another big subject)

It required that I also do the work to change my thinking. Change my thoughts. It's only a thought. I was the one to change my attitude and change my focus. Just thinking about it was overwhelming.
I had to do the work to let go of the emotional attachment to the expectation (a little Buddhism helped me with this), and that I did not have the power to change another person. That was a biggie! My observation is that few people in this life ever "get" that one!

So, I had to practice some skills. They were new ones. I did some study, research, read a bunch of books, took classes and found out what I needed to do for a positive outcome while making major changes in my World View. All the while married to a husband with Mormonism in his DNA.
I needed to learn the skills of focusing on today, having an attitude of gratitude.
I needed to learn to be more skeptical, use critical thinking skills, less gullible; be more objective, think in terms of the Big Picture, think about what I wanted to accept and believe from any source.

No more: go along to get along, agree just because someone else is doing it, or believes it, or suggested I do it. I took every idea that came into my head apart and analyzed it.

More conclusions:
Some things are just not worth fighting or arguing about for or against.
We can't all be the same.
We can't all believe the same things.
We can't be everything to anyone all the time.
AND:
What did I want for myself and my family: I wanted everything that was within my power. Next I had to figure out what was within my power and what was not.

I decided: I am not going to give up anything; not one iota of my investment in my family, home, marriage because I changed my mind about my beliefs in Mormonism.

We are people first. Beliefs second. Once I set that priority and kept it firmly planted in my mind, life started to flow peacefully. It was like opening up a damn that I had constructed within myself. When I let go, things began to flow much more smoothly.

The result: we had a peaceful life for the most part; he is a believer and I am not. He has his beliefs, and I have mine. Do they agree all the time. Absolutely not. Why would we?

Is it OK to argue, and make a fuss? Sure it is. We can do that. We can be passionate about our differences. We have agreed to disagree And, why not? It's OK. We can do that, no matter what the issue is.And if I go off on a tangent, he reminds me of our agreement!

I hope to get to 50 plus years of marriage in Aug of 2012, (which we did!) and not let something as insignificant as a difference of opinion about religiously based claims and belief by faith divide us or our family! Do we have to work on it? Of course we do!

And we did. We had a spectacular, amazing, incredible 50th Wedding Anniversary planned and produced by our "kids" (all talented adults), who outdid themselves!

So.... life goes on and on and on.

We make the best with what we have.
The older we get, the more changes and health issues we face. Some very scary ones! It's a struggle, but it's always worth it.
We play the cards we are dealt. Not everyone gets the same cards!
I chose well. My spouse is a good man. And, I am told, those are hard to find! :-) But he is not the only one! :-)

It is not always easy, or smooth sailing, but with a little effort and a positive attitude it is so much easier! Resentments and anger melt away in the face of a positive attitude and laughter. Laughter really is the Best Medicine.

There was no room for negative self talk, or negative energy either. I knew I was OK. I knew I could do anything I set my mind to.
I have to slap myself around some times and knock some sense into my head...again, and again....and admit my errors, take responsibility, make amends, and start over, dozens of times, but the more I stay on course, stay focused on what I really wanted for myself and my family, the easier it becomes.

Appreciation is an amazing power supply. It's like magic. Practically nobody can resist it! It's surprising how far a simple compliment will go! A -- thank you!
Just walk down the street or drive your car with a smile on your face !

Say something to get a laugh from someone. They won't forget you. It will break down barriers and open doors.

I have learned that life is best lived with a sense of humor. A lot of laughter every day. I'm so convinced of the health benefits of laughter (well documented) it ought to be prescribed by doctors!

With what years I have left, I have given myself permission to get to the laughter, find the fun and enjoy my life. A smile and laughter is contagious! Practically nobody can resist that either! (I am finally getting my sense of humor back after my husband died.)

Difference of opinions, in the long run of a very long life with good people are really not that important!

ahh... What a relief to know it's OK to let go, let it be, don't let the past mess up my present....... and just ....enjoy today!

Side note: And that was exactly what we did when my husband was confined to a hospital bed in Home Hospice.

"Where do we go from here" he asked one day when he was a little more lucid. I realized what he meant and told him that we will make the best of each day and enjoy it. And we did.

Love is the greatest power! Life is about loving others unconditionally and As-Is. Love is something you DO! They don't need us to fix them. And, treating others the way we want to be treated. Don't let the past mess up your present.

It's wise not to take things personally.
Don't Take Anything Personally.
Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won't be the victim of needless suffering. ~ Miguel Angel Ruiz

To fully understand how and why this works like this I have explained it this way:

Mormonism, in my long experience and observation is more accurately described as a patriarchal, generational, cultural, religious tribe. In fact the word: tribe is used in their lexicon. As a convert, I was considered an adopted member of the tribe. Considering how tribes manifest, it is, in my view, the best way to understand how Mormonism creates a whole paradigm for the individual in a familial, societal, religious context aka tribe, complete with it's own unique rituals, music, language, dress.

This system, including everything in their teachings/doctrines is not just earthly in their view, it's Eternal.
That is the core for their World View and how they incorporate their extended family.

Everything in the life of a truly believing, testimony bearing, totally immersed, temple attending, generational Mormon is about their goal to live Eternal Life in the Celestial Kingdom together as a family.
This is the context that their view of their Eternal family functions. Therefore, their lives among their family is geared around the rituals/ceremonies-costumes: blessings, baptisms, priesthood advancement for the boys, missions, temple marriages,"Callings" etc, and around and around it goes.

Just like other generational religions (much larger, and much longer established), this is a religious heritage that most often is at the core of the identity of the individual. You are born a Buddhist, Muslim, Christian: Catholic, a Methodist, a Baptist, etc., etc., and you die as such -- which is typical in my experience.

It's important, in my view, to not make it about right or wrong, good or bad. It's about religious rights and people hold those dear.
When we refuse to accept our loved one's religious beliefs, (at least on some level) that is nearly always interpreted as rejection and the foundation of resentment which is very ofen a deal breaker. It's the old saying: don't like my dog, don't like me! :-) Don't like my religion, don't like me! Generational, familial rituals/traditions follow a person from birth to death. It's worldwide. It's often hard to change also.

That is why I stress the importance of unconditional love. People will always need to feel they are OK just the way they are, at least in someone's eyes.
It requires discarding the notion that I need to teach my believing spouse .... something... open their eyes... etc. I say: never mind. If and when they see from your example, usually, that there is something they want to know, they will do it on their own. And, I'm happy to assist.

I know my case is different than many as we are both retired, and have health issues that prevent church attendance. But, that does not change the believer's beliefs. Not one bit.

I didn't come to these conclusions in a day or two. It was trial and error. Months of it.
We made it work: one day at a time. We have a comfortable life as devoid of conflict -- as much as possible. The same is true as a widow.
We made it work because his beliefs are about him, not me and mine are about me, not him.
Everyone finds their own way. There is no right or true way to deal with the kind of major change that can result from one or more members of the family unit leaving the LDS Church.
My best to all of you!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.