Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: February 25, 2017 11:43PM

One of my favorite TV shows of my era is The Dick Van Dyke Show. It's on Netflix currently and I've watched so many of them, more than once.
The original show was on Wednesdays at 9pm when I was in Jr. High. I had to make sure I got home early enough to see it since that was Mutual night. We lived sort of close to the church so I made it most of the times.

On Facebook, I belong to a group "The Official Dick Van Dyke Show Book" which is just I think the author talking about this book and going into detail about Dick and the cast.

He's posted a story tonight about a young woman in Encino, CA who was a big fan and was dying. I've posted the story here.

For your Sunday reflection – the sincere and caring Dick Van Dyke: 1965

The Los Angeles Times
Monday, April 19, 1965
page 67

Dick Van Dyke Vs. Cancer
-- His Greatest Performance

by Margaret Harford
Times Staff Writer

The last days of a pretty teen-age girl, a victim of cancer, were made happier by the weekly visits of actor Dick Van Dyke who met her only a few months before her death last week at the UCLA Medical Center.

Van Dyke heard about Carolyn Mastro's terminal illness from a Tarzana neighbor, Brother Gordon Hawkins of the Mormon Church in Encino.

The actor began dropping in on the 17-year-old Carolyn to cheer her up. He left his scrap book and photo album with her. He posed for a picture sitting on the edge of Carolyn's hospital bed.

The stricken girl had the picture framed and proudly displayed it on her dresser. She died too soon to see a 17mm film of "Mary Poppins" which Dick asked Walt Disney to make for showing in her bedroom.

After Carolyn's death, her uncle, Dick Mastro, 6324 Fair Ave., North Hollywood, wrote the Times:

"With all the sham and hypocrisy in the entertainment world, it's wonderful to see a genuine act of kindness by a star."

"It is one thing to attend a charity function or visit a hospital at the urging of a press agent, but quite another to quietly perform a great kindness without fanfare. Carolyn's family will always be grateful to Dick Van Dyke."

Early Diploma

Carolyn, who lived with her mother, Mrs. Alonzo Munroe, 18316 Hatteras St., Tarzana, was a senior at Encino High School.

When it became known her life was ebbing away, the school gave Carolyn her June diploma last February.

Carolyn also leaves her father, Earl Mastro, a featherweight boxer of the 1930's and former athletic director at the Disney studios, and two sisters, Mrs. George Rudkin of Sacramento and Mrs. Larry Czubiak of Hidden Hills.

=====

Valley News
Van Nuys, California
Tuesday, April 13, 1965
page 3

Carolyn Mastro Dies:
Services Scheduled Here

Services will be held tomorrow at 1 p.m. at Encino Ward, Latter-day Saints Chapel, 5538 White Oak Ave., Encino, for Carolyn Mastro, daughter of Earl Mastro of 15125 Victory Blvd., Van Nuys, and Mrs. Alonzo Munroe of 18136 Hatteras St., Tarzana.

Interment will be at Oakwood Memorial Park, 22601 Lassen St. Chatsworth.

Miss Mastro, who was 17 years old, died Saturday at UCLA following a lengthy illness.

Survivors are her father and mother, step-father and two sisters. The sisters are Mrs. George Rudkin of Sacramento and Mrs. Larry Czubiak of Hidden Hills.

Miss Mastro had been a student at Reseda High School until December of last year. Scheduled to graduate in June, the school awarded her diploma prematurely while she was ill.

Actor Dick Van Dyke will deliver the eulogy and members of her Sunday School class will be pallbearers.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: February 25, 2017 11:57PM

He is very genuine, what a wonderful thing to do for this poor girl. 17 short years on earth and it was wasted in Mormonism. He gave her the most important gift, himself. She's no longer a Mormon and enjoying quality time in her heaven.

Posted by: bczubiak ( )
Date: February 26, 2017 05:30AM

Carolyn Maestro was my moms (Barbara Evans) sister. I remember seeing the picture of Dick Van Dyke. I'm pretty sure my mom still has it.

-Bob

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: February 26, 2017 06:57AM

The one that the immortal Clancy I. used to run. Clancy himself admitted most of the time they were "serving meals to dying people," but enough have made it out of that hell that he made it his life's work...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2017 02:05PM by SL Cabbie.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: March 08, 2017 08:31PM

SL Cabbie, look for his 1974 TV movie, "The Morning After," 75 minutes. Surprisingly good, and you see a very under-utilized dramatic side of Van Dyke.

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: February 26, 2017 10:33AM

Inspiring!

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: March 08, 2017 06:09AM

Not yet

but, yah know, he's quite old..........who's to say what he might be a year or two from now

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.