Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: February 26, 2017 01:52PM

I'm Facebook friends with a young woman who I worked with at my last job in Las Vegas. We were in the same training class and then were on the same team once training was done.

She and her family left Las Vegas within the year after training; her husband is a computer geek and had a new job in the San Jose area. She was thrilled since he was going to make enough that she wouldn't have to work.

They attend a church there and she always posts events at the church, called the LifeCity church.

She posted today that its Taco Sunday at their church, and they seem to have lots of fun activities.

I wonder if TSCC has ever thought of doing that to get more people to attend? Nah, I don't think so.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2017 02:22PM by memikeyounot.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: February 26, 2017 01:55PM

It's downright startling when you see the difference between a church that believes it exists to serve its members compared to one that feels the members exist to serve it.

Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: February 26, 2017 02:19PM

While growing up in a baptist church we had a dinner once a month at the church, This in in the SC. Everyone loved it and looked forward to it. The church had a nice kitchen and eating area that we used often ( yest we cooked in that kitchen) Everyone would bring something and the church provided the drinks and utensils.

No, there were no funeral potato's. Just really good country cooking. We all knew who brought the best Mac and cheese, cake, fried chicken, mashed potatoes, etc, etc. We all helped set up and clean up afterwords. Kids running around playing and lots of laughter. It was a great time. It would all be set out in a buffet style and there would be LOTS of food and deserts. The seniors would always go first followed by the mommies or daddies with their kids. Men went last. Usually someone, mostly kids or young ones, would put on a little skit and or sing or play an instrument. Mostly it was not church music but something else. Whatever it was they were working on. It was fun times and good memories.

During the summer when the sun would be up later we would end up outside watching the kids and talking about all kinds of stuff. The sure enough a game of volleyball or kickball, softball, would start up and everyone would get in. Kids, women and the men all having a fun time and treated as equals.

I still laugh thinking about the fun times growing up in that church. Made good friends there who after 40+ years are still good friends. LDS kids / family's today don't have that and never will.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 26, 2017 02:46PM

Taco day is Tuesday.

Posted by: Thinking ( )
Date: February 26, 2017 02:49PM

The church as an organization has the capacity to be so much more, even if they admitted to all the bs in its history. But goddamn why do they have to make everything so boring?

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: February 26, 2017 03:13PM

Controlling every aspect of everyone's life requires heavy duty indoctrination that takes lots of repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition.......THUS it can be nothing else BUT boring.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: February 26, 2017 02:55PM

The MORmONS used to periodically have some semblance of good food at some of their wards. But then the uppity schmuckities executive MORmON Leadership BreathUrine realized that AS local ward members cooked at the local ward house that they were unfairly taking advantage of one of Jesus' places. (driving up the utility bills) and since Salt Lake no longer gets to take an additional pound of flesh over local "ward budget" they just totally shut that right down. ..........I mean IF there is anything even remotely enjoyable about MORmONISM it really should be eliminated, because MORmONISM really is a religion of misery, agony and travail.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: February 26, 2017 03:27PM

Mini tacos (and tequila shots!).

"For, behold, I say unto you, that it mattereth not what ye shall eat or what ye shall drink when ye partake of the sacrament, if it so be that ye do it with an eye single to my glory—..." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 27:2)

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: February 26, 2017 03:33PM

But it's the pious sacrifice of personal interests and well being that shows the Mormon god how dedicated you are! Those people who actually are interested in enjoying themselves are just self serving Satan worshippers in saint's clothing, don'cha know?

Posted by: focidave ( )
Date: February 26, 2017 04:32PM

I know we'd have a "linger longer" sometimes when I was in a single's ward. They'd usually have some kind of food. I don't know why they don't do this sort of thing more frequently. Is everyone just in such a rush to get away from each other and the building?

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: February 26, 2017 06:03PM

I lived in a ward where members might travel up to an hour and a half. After the last meeting of the day on Sunday we had potluck in the gym, one of the few memories I have of that ward.

The second memory I have was meeting a lifelong friend there, he helped me move in and he is now Ultra-NOM to the point of being EXMO. Still has member kids who he tries to support.

The third memory was meeting a future leader in the Republican party for the state, he has since come out as gay (not a big surprise) and left both the Church and the Republicans.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 26, 2017 06:04PM

Pot luck dinners at the Mormon church were a good thing, I thought. What happened?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2017 06:05PM by donbagley.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: February 27, 2017 12:05PM

Sundays pay the bills.

First of all, since tscc takes all the members' time, there is none left. No, not even time to eat! At the same time, it takes ALL the members (spare) money - and spiritual/ social space - so everybody is burned out, like an old light bulb, and uninterested in sticking around, even to socialize.

LDSinc ONLY thinks of 'the liability'/ ("fun!"), sending the wrong message, and member's having LESS TIME to be indoctrinating themselves, or making [it] money/ "tithing".

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.