Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Spinmeister ( )
Date: February 26, 2017 07:15PM

Nauvoo Expositor- Fake news?

Certain egotistical leaders who base their style on charisma not truth telling sure love their version of first amendment rights.

I could almost hear Nauvoo mayer and presidential candidate Joseph Smith saying "Fake news" "fake news." I am not a polygamist. Ban and destroy that newspaper..."It is the enemy of the people"...“I’m not against the press." ..." And I love the First Amendment; nobody loves it better than me. Nobody."

Mormon freedom of the press?

“To the Marshal of said City, greeting.
You are here commanded to destroy the printing press from whence issues the Nauvoo Expositor, and pi the type of said printing establishment in the street, and burn all the Expositors and libelous handbills found in said establishment; and if resistance be offered to your execution of this order by the owners or others, demolish the house; and if anyone threatens you or the Mayor or the officers of the city, arrest those who threaten you, and fail not to execute this order without delay, and make due return hereon.

By order of the City Council
Joseph Smith, Mayor”

History of the Church, v. 6, p. 448

Ironically, Jospeh Smith was primarily motivated to run for president on first amendment rights. At least the parts he liked. https://www.lds.org/ensign/2009/02/joseph-smith-campaign-for-president-of-the-united-states?lang=eng

When you see your prophet as the mayer, the general of a militia, and other financial leadership positions do you think his real motivation for running for president was ego?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: February 26, 2017 07:40PM

Yep.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.