Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: March 01, 2017 02:04PM

"Report: Former Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman Jr. 'in Discussions' to Become U.S. Ambassador to Russia"
By Lisa Riley Roche
1 March 1 2017

"Former Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman Jr. is "in discussions" to become U.S. ambassador to Russia, CNN reported Wednesday, citing an unnamed senior official of the Trump administration.

"SALT LAKE CITY — Former Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman Jr. is "in discussions" to become U.S. ambassador to Russia, CNN reported Wednesday, citing an unnamed senior official in the Trump administration.

"Just a day earlier, the Wall Street Journal reported that Huntsman was under considered for the No. 2 spot at the U.S. State Department, deputy to Secretary of State Rex Tillerson.

"He was also on Trump's list of secretary of state candidates, along with 2012 Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney and others.

"Huntsman, a Republican, stepped down in 2009 after being elected to a second term as governor of Utah to become U.S. ambassador to China under then-President Barack Obama.

"A presidential candidate in 2012, he has also served two GOP presidents as U.S. ambassador to Singapore under President George H.W. Bush and as a trade ambassador to Asia under President George W. Bush.

"CNN reported Huntsman talked with Tillerson last week about the post and that another source identified as close to Huntsman said he has been in touch with President Donald Trump's top advisers and possibly the president.

"Huntsman had supported Trump, but then urged him to get out of the race after a tape surfaced shortly before last November's election of Trump using graphic terms to describe making sexual advances on women."

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865674577/Report-Former-Utah-Gov-Jon-Huntsman-Jr-in-discussions-to-become-US-ambassador-to-Russia.html
_____

"Jon Huntsman, Jr. in Talks to serve as US Ambassador to Russia"
by Sara Weber
KUTV, Salt Lake City, Utah
1 March 2017

"(KUTV) — Former Utah Governor Jon Huntsman, Jr. is in talks to become the next U.S. ambassador to Russia, according to CNN. CNN reports that an unnamed senior Trump Administration official said Huntsman has spoken with Secretary of State Rex Tillerson about the position. Another source said Huntsman has been in contact with numerous other White House officials and even President Donald Trump to discuss the role."

http://kutv.com/news/local/jon-huntsman-jr-in-talks-to-serve-as-us-ambassador-to-russia

Who woulda thunk that an ex-LDS missionary/now-inactive Mormon would, in these the latter days, be responsible for the United States becoming Communist? My grandpa is spinning in his grave. :) Here is ETB's warning to the world about the "godless evil" of Communism, issued to the BYU studentbody in 1966:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ7LcplfkgY

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2017 10:54PM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: March 01, 2017 02:21PM

Ten bucks says I'll be dead before most folks know what is going on between Russia and the Trump Administration, but in the meantime I love the idea of some Mormon involvement, even if only tangential via Huntsman, because I need to be reminded from time to time that reality is a slowly extruding bizarre turn of events, like oddly colored ground cow parts oozing from a meat grinder's metal sphincter.

An actual practicing Mormon would be better. An "Apostle," maybe. And then some unseen quid pro quo kicks in and Mormon mishies are suddenly welcomed back to the streets of Moscow with open arms.

What is going on, really? "Forget it, Jake," says the guy to Jack Nicholson. "It's Chinatown."

That was then. Now, the whole planet is Chinatown.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: March 01, 2017 02:59PM

getbusylivin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What is going on, really? "Forget it, Jake," says
> the guy to Jack Nicholson. "It's Chinatown."
>
> That was then. Now, the whole planet is Chinatown.

Minus the fictional emotional story arranged around the historical facts, "Chinatown" (the film) was an effectively-realized dramatization of actual Southern California and Los Angeles history...

...not only once upon a time---but still, in many ways, to this day.

A most excellent and spot-on observation, getbusylivin:

"Now, the whole planet is Chinatown."

Yes, it is.

It is indeed.

Posted by: thinking ( )
Date: March 01, 2017 03:03PM

The Russian angle in this election has made any real sense to me. There is been a lot of Russian mud slinging, but nothing I have found of substance. It smacks of neo-McCarthyism. Its been bizarre to watch. I've been fascinated and studied the US relationship with Russia for years, and this seems more like propaganda than anything. It reminds me of the media's role in the WMD hysteria leading up to the Iraq invasion.

Thoughts?

Date: March 01, 2017 04:37PM

. . . an FBI investigation into possible pre-election connections between Russian intelligence officers and aides in the Trump campaign camp by asking that it (the FBI) release information that comports with the White House's view of the matter, even though the FBI's investigation is not yet completed. The FBI refused the request.

Also, congressional intelligence committee inquiries are also currently underway on the matter but because committee proceedings deal with classified materials, you haven't been told about it yet.

Sigh . . .

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2017 10:40PM by steve benson.

Posted by: Thinking ( )
Date: March 01, 2017 06:18PM

I have fundamental problem with crap, doesn't matter if it came from a donkey or an elephant. The donkey poo is being examined, all sorts of nasty is exposed. So they blame bear for passing out donkey poo. This is crazy. I would love to see the elephant poo. Each party screwed their people. Come debt ceiling time, failing pensions, and leverage middle class = system failure.

Date: March 01, 2017 06:44PM

A kid poking at poo with a stick with an elephant and donkey clearly in the background looking concerned would be epic. Then have a bear looking puzzled in the background looking at his hands would be epic. Too bad I can't draw worth a shit. Its spot on.i was pretty good as drawing as a kid... Maybe I will try, we all need hobbies.

Date: March 01, 2017 10:40PM

. . . you wouldn't be able to find anything on your own now, would you?

Unless, of course, Putin and/or Trump are keeping you up to speed on the whole thing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2017 10:41PM by steve benson.

Date: March 01, 2017 11:10PM

No, but I've noticed the MSM keeps making claims that come up empty. Its grown legs like any conspiracy theory, but as far as conspiracies go these legs are fairly weak. There really isn't anything solid I can find. I'd love to be enlightened. At this point its a belief based off hersay and rumors. From solid evidence there's a stronger case a secret cabal is running the world. I guess that's the human condition we want reality to bend to what feels right denying such motivations are ingrained in our minds constantly being subjected to group think.

Date: March 02, 2017 12:39AM

The present Attorney General of the United States, Jeff Sessions, while he was a prominent surrogate in the Trump presidential campaign, met twice with the Russians--specifically, with the Russian ambassador to the United States, including meeting in Sessions' office.

During Sessions' confirmation hearings, he explicitly denied having met/spoken with the Russians when he was working in the Trump presidential campaign. This has now been proven to be untrue, as confirmed by sources in the Justice Department. The Trump White House is obviously concerned about this breaking news, given that it has now issued a statement claiming that the Sessions meeting with the Russian ambassador was within the context of then- Senator Sessions' duties on the Armed Services Committee. However, no other members of the Senate Armed Services Committee met with the Russian ambassador. Why?

What did Sessions and the Russian ambassador talk about during their contacts? Anything that might have been beneficial to Trump's presidential campaign? Or not?

What has your special inside knowledge led you to conclude, "thinking"? Do tell.

While your answer is awaited, on with the bi-partisan investigations. And those investigations may soon include one led by an independent special prosecutor appointed by the Justice Department--meaning that Sessions will most likely have to recuse himself, at the very least.

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2017 01:17AM by steve benson.

Date: March 02, 2017 03:57AM

I'm very curious to see what materializes from this. What? A lying politician? The hell you say? They all lie, why people trust "their" lairs and hate the "other" lairs is beyond me. Good God do we need a real 3rd party...

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: March 02, 2017 07:22AM

Go back three spaces for illegal use of a straw man argument and then read your Orwell, "Politics and the English Language" about "defense of the indefensible."

Date: March 02, 2017 07:46AM

You're lying about how the mainstream media supposedly makes all this stuff up.

Remember Lieutenant General Michael Flynn? He lasted as Trump's national security advisor for less than a month.

Why?

Because he lied (including to the vice president) about not having had inappropriate contact with the Russians. Trump knew about this for three weeks before it was reported by the media--and then what happened?

Flynn went from falsely claiming he had had no such contact to claiming he couldn't remember what he talked about with the Russians--which, by the way, included him having contact with the Russian ambassador, whom U.S. intelligence agencies regard as being one of Moscow's top spies in the United States.

Flynn ended up resigning, allegedly on his own. Or he was pushed out by Trump. Take your pick.

Go ahead. Continue blaming the "MSM." It might earn you a job in the Trump White House. They're also getting so desperate that they might actually take you.

Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2017 12:25PM by steve benson.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: March 01, 2017 04:18PM

Watching the shell game these Neanderthal-thinking narcissists are playing is pretty dicey. Strictly a guess, however...

#still struggling with my denial mechanisms that say this isn't happening to the country I love

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2017 04:19PM by SL Cabbie.

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: March 01, 2017 05:02PM

That always makes me cringe. WTF?? How does the law of consecration square with capitalism and Nationalism? The dissonance, for those who actually ponder, must be horrible to live with.

HH =)

Date: March 01, 2017 07:25PM

. . . was the greatest institution, outside of the Mormon Church, fighting global Communism.

On the other hand, ETB's oldest son, Reed, was a high-ranking officer in the JBS and etablished its Washington, D.C., office.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 01, 2017 07:17PM

I think he would be a good pick. He has extensive experience in diplomacy, and appears to be reasonably moderate and sensible.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 01, 2017 07:32PM

When I saw he was being considered, I wondered....

IF he is the ambassador and somehow nothing newsworthy happens with Russia during his assignment there....

THEN he could become the more moderate choice for POTUS for the Republicans later. I mean, after Trump, he seems safe. He's not extreme like Pence.

Could he be the next major Mormon politician in the spotlight?

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: March 01, 2017 08:19PM

Jon Huntsman, Jr. has been a guest at my church. His wife is an LDS convert and both have said they appreciate others' faiths. He spoke over the pulpit and I shook his hand.

Neither he nor his wife participated in "open" Communion. I'm not so sure I'd consider him an "in-active" Mormon unless Steve has some information I'm missing. Perhaps a non-conformist Mormon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2017 08:22PM by BYU Boner.

Date: March 01, 2017 11:01PM

Thanks, Steve. I agree, he's not the typical TBM.

Date: March 01, 2017 11:03PM

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 01, 2017 08:47PM

A) Being ambassador to Russia right now is like volunteering to be captain of the Titanic, with the iceberg already in sight.

B) This is Orrin Hatch moving his main competition next election far far away.

Date: March 01, 2017 08:58PM

Hi BoJ!

I wondered about your comment B too.

Hatch is going on 83. Why can't he just go on a mission or something.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 01, 2017 09:17PM

Most Utahns approve of Senator-for-Life Hatch, but would like to see him retire, an opinion he appears not to share. If Huntsman primaried Hatch, polling indicates Huntsman would crush Hatch.

Methinks when the senator met with the new president, Hatch promised to put extra special grease on the skids in the Judiciary Committee for judge nominations, if a nice prestigious job could be found for Mr Huntsman somewhere on the far side of the planet.

http://www.sltrib.com/home/4863386-155/utahns-approve-of-sen-hatchs-performance

Personally, I wish JHJr would run for governor again. He was actually successful in providing adult supervision for the legislature, and they can't seem to figure out right now how to get rid of the Zion Curtain without some adult supervision.

Date: March 01, 2017 09:23PM

Interesting.

I would have guessed that Hatch would have all the votes as long as they can get his corpse propped in a chair.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: March 01, 2017 08:50PM

I'm with you Boner. Jonny couldn't afford to lose several million Mormon voters by not at least paying lip service to the faith of his father.

However . . . I'd bet he doesn't wear G's every day of the week, if you know what I mean.

Date: March 01, 2017 08:52PM

Good to have you back, Shumms! He probably sleeps naked like all good men should...

Posted by: paulk ( )
Date: March 01, 2017 09:08PM

He said he was a "soft Mormon." Such a weasel move to try to play both sides of the fence. Other than that, he seems pretty qualified.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.