Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: March 03, 2017 12:23AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: March 03, 2017 01:09AM

Hello anybody.

Wagga Wagga is a town in NSW, now famous for it being a military training base.

The original word Wagga means a blanket or quilt. Quilts were always called Waggas when I was a child (I am in my mid sixties). Mothers made them by stitching together old pieces of clothing and then stuffing them with cut up old clothing as they stitched them all together.
They were very warm and very versatile and though heavy when laundered, were very washable. OUr family always had one on our beds.

It is obviously an old Aboriginal word, and whilst I have tried, I cannot find the original meaning. I would hazard a guess that it referred to the cloaks (blankets), that the Aboriginal women used to make by curing the skins of pussums and stitching them together. This may well have been the original meaning. They used them as blankets for themselves and their children, as we would, but they also tied them onto their bodies in really cold weather. There are still some in existence in museums and they a beautiful, with the lovely rich brownish/greyish coloured fur looking marvellous. They were also very warm.

Posted by: FallenCountryManoevers ( )
Date: March 03, 2017 08:34PM

Wagga is one of the names of the Ancient Continent Of Lemuria, which was in the south Pacific area- it was also called Pan- and Mu. The Uighur Empire of Mu covered much of Asia. Not the same as Atlantis...

Date: March 03, 2017 01:10AM

Hello anybody.

Wagga Wagga is a town in NSW, now famous for it being a military training base. How Wagga Wagga came by its name, I do not know.

The original word Wagga means a blanket or quilt. Quilts were always called Waggas when I was a child (I am in my mid sixties). Mothers made them by stitching together old pieces of clothing and then stuffing them with cut up old clothing as they stitched them all together.
They were very warm and very versatile and though heavy when laundered, were very washable. OUr family always had one on our beds.

It is obviously an old Aboriginal word, and whilst I have tried, I cannot find the original meaning. I would hazard a guess that it referred to the cloaks (blankets), that the Aboriginal women used to make by curing the skins of pussums and stitching them together. This may well have been the original meaning. They used them as blankets for themselves and their children, as we would, but they also tied them onto their bodies in really cold weather. There are still some in existence in museums and they a beautiful, with the lovely rich brownish/greyish coloured fur looking marvellous. They were also very warm.

Posted by: Aussieblokesarebest ( )
Date: March 03, 2017 02:08AM

This is another version;

The traditional land owners are the Wiradjuri tribe.

Wagga means crow and the dual use of the word is effectively a pleural.

Wagga Wagga thus means "Place of many crows"

This from one of my work colleagues who used to live there.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: March 03, 2017 09:33PM

*gasps*

They're beautiful!!! I love corvids. :)

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 04, 2017 08:46AM

At least they're not those f**king parrots that destroy the rubber around car windshields.

Posted by: blakballoon ( )
Date: March 03, 2017 09:48PM

They nest in our back garden and surrounding gardens. Imagine that sound, x50, at 4am. :/

Date: March 03, 2017 02:09AM

Thanks. That little critter
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_brushtail_possum

isn't the same as this one
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opossum

Aussie possums look more like raccoons without the bandit mask or tail and not like the big nasty North American possums.

Wagga quilts seem to fill the same niche as Navajo rugs do in America.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 03, 2017 10:03AM

I thought it was what mormon tongues do when somebody in the ward is found out to have "sinned..." ? :)

Posted by: silvergenie ( )
Date: March 03, 2017 06:23PM

No Hie, you must be thinking of Wagin in Western Australia. :-)

Date: March 03, 2017 06:35PM

As a ten year old child, (way back in ancient history), I remember reading in "The Argus Students' Practical Notebook" that Wagga meant Crow and Wagga Wagga meant place of many crows.

Another Aboriginal name place I can remember from all those years ago was Korumburra which meant big blowfly. My mother used to buy Korumburra butter which I refused to eat after finding out the meaning of the name.

Date: March 03, 2017 06:56PM

Hello Aussieblokesarebest (love your name!!!)

Thanks for that. I couldn't find that meaning anywhere, but it makes sense doesn't it?

I love some of the place names and they often are about animals or land use. Love Korumburra silvergenie!! Perhaps the only better one than that is Coonabarabran which means 'place of shit' after the designated area of any Aboriginal living site, used as a loo. The early Aboriginal people, realising that the meaning in English would be offensive to white people changed it to mean 'beautiful place'. But most Coonabaran-ians, know what it means.

I also like Caboolture - carpet snake, and Toowoomba - swamp.

Have a GREAT day!!

Posted by: blakballoon ( )
Date: March 03, 2017 08:49PM

It's pronounced 'wogga wogga' btw.

My favourite place to drive through is Mandjoogoordup, the kids argue about how it's pronounced. It means "meeting place of the heart"

Date: March 03, 2017 11:28PM

Reminds me of Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.

Date: March 04, 2017 04:47AM

Reminds me of many years ago when my late Welsh husband tried to teach our children to say Llanfair....etc. Seven year old said it was too hard. The nine year old with a well developed sense of humour said "No, its easy, all you have to do is clear your throat spit and sneeze."

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: March 04, 2017 07:10AM

Keep in mind that that town name was deliberately invented to get into the Guinness book of world records, or something like that.

Posted by: The Great Artiste ( )
Date: March 04, 2017 07:31AM

Most people just call it "Wagga".
However, there's a town on the New South Wales Central Coast called Woy Woy. It is never called "Woy". : )

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.