Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 04:04PM

A TBM relative posted that she needed to give a talk on Courage in sac meeting and wanted help with people's ideas about courage.

She got about 5 other people posting about courage for ideas.

Here is one of the responses.

"I'm with Janet. We all know we are afraid of things, what we need is the strength to overcome those fears. I always liked the quote "Where faith is, fear cannot be." So courage, to me, centers around faith."

Whatever that meant? She got similar sounding stuff posted.

I decided to shake things up a bit and see if they had real courage, or just liked to talk about it. Here's what I posted.

"A friend of mine had this as her status today. It seems to fit this conversation."

"Please put this as your status if you know or love someone who is gay. My wish is that people will understand that being gay is neither a disease nor a choice--...people who are gay are not looking for a cure, but for acceptance and equal rights. 93% won't copy and paste this. Will you?"

"How many of us who have been discussing courage has the courage to post this on our own walls? It's one thing to talk about courage, another to act with courage. I'm posting it on mine. I hope you do too."

Unfortunately, none of them responded to it at all. Must be easier to just talk about it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 04:17PM

I like what you did. And that quote "where faith is, fear can not be"....well, it doesn't deal with courage.....it only deals with their so called faith. Courage is to stand up for what you think is right. You don't need fear to stand up for what is right. In Mormondom courage is to ask questions when you have doubts. You don't have to fear if you have courage. Oh, that's right. Doubting is not allowed!! Forgot.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 07:32PM

on any and all reactions (if any) to your post?

Thanks.

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 08:58PM

michael Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> on any and all reactions (if any) to your post?
>
> Thanks.

So far there is a big fat nothing.

Funny how they can pontificate so much on what courage is, but not be able to demonstrate it.

Posted by: Teagee ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 08:04PM

"faith is belief in things unseen" -

(what does that have to do with courage?)

The corollary of this is:

"Faith is disbelief in things seen"

There is evidence of evolution, the big bang, DNA science - but that can not believed because faith in the lard requires disbelief in the evidence that is seen.

Posted by: Tiff ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 10:48PM

Faith doesn't mean: ignoring scientific research, ignoring the facts, ignoring your own church history. That is ignorance, pure and simple. That is not faith.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.