Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 16, 2017 06:03PM

Who else remembers watching taffy being pulled in the front window of the Martha Washington Candy Shop just south of temple square? Dad always stopped there on our way out of SLC for a 10 lb. box of that guilty pleasure as we headed back home to Alberta.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: March 16, 2017 06:07PM

Not at that shop but a many other candy shops. I always assumed it was made with water from the great salt lake. But then I was 6 or 7. My favorite was root beer.

Posted by: southbound ( )
Date: March 16, 2017 07:48PM

What ever happened to Snelgroves?

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: March 16, 2017 08:37PM

I cannot imagine how many times I went with family and church family to Snelgrove's on 21st South. The Snelgrove family got out of the business at least 20+ years ago and Dreyer's Ice cream, according to Wiki, owns the name but they quit making product with the Snelgrove name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snelgrove%27s_Ice_Cream

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: March 16, 2017 11:49PM

Q: What's the Mormon definition of foreplay?

A: A half an hour at Snelgroves...

The building is still there, and as noted, Dreyer's Ice Cream made products with the Snelgrove name on it in stores (my favorite was burnt almond fudge), but no longer. I think that was only a few years ago they stopped, but given my diabetes, I opt for "Blue Bunny" brand that's sweetened with Splenda.

I remember applying for a job at Snelgroves in the 60's and being asked my religion... These days they're sneakier about how they find that information out...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2017 11:50PM by SL Cabbie.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: March 16, 2017 09:33PM

I picked up some SWT on the Atlantic City Boardwalk. There were shops everywhere with the confection. My favorite was licorice!

Posted by: SonOfLaban ( )
Date: March 16, 2017 10:00PM

BYU Boner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I picked up some SWT on the Atlantic City
> Boardwalk. There were shops everywhere with the
> confection. My favorite was licorice!

What the heck does sweet white thing hav - nevermind.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: March 16, 2017 10:33PM

You, SIR, are a wanker! (Which is a great thing as I'm a wanker, too!)

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: March 16, 2017 09:40PM

I've always loved salt water taffy, as living along the coast, you can find at least one shop that makes it. As a kid, I thought it was made with local ocean water.

Posted by: SonOfLaban ( )
Date: March 16, 2017 09:41PM

Way back when, when the church was true, on pay days, I went to ZCMI. On their ancient wood floor waited in line for my two pieces of thick, hot buttered white bread with a strawberry jam lake on top. Shamelessly I ate both pieces as fast as I could, and would have returned for more, but back then, each cost 25-cents, and I only earned $55 per week. Rent was $30 a month, so it was sin, but...amazingly worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1Czl6qoenk

Posted by: Lilith ( )
Date: March 16, 2017 10:09PM

Best ever saltwater taffy is from Estes Park CO.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: March 17, 2017 10:35AM

They the world's finest mint chocolate sandwiches (I'm a heretic who prefers milk chocolate), other assorted chocolates, and outstanding caramel corn. I'm not sure about salt water taffy...

Okay Cabbie, remember your diet...

There's a shop kitty corner from where the old Cottonwood Mall was (the last store, Macy's, just closed).

Posted by: MOI ( )
Date: March 17, 2017 10:49AM

OH yes, I remember seeing the salt water taffy machines at work. I remember seeing one going in a store window. Then another time it was in a mall, possibly University Mall, or maybe Cottonwood Mall. It's been decades ago. But when relates went to Utah, I had them bring me back packages of Horehound candies. I rather like that stuff. I remember they'd give out samples after the Bee Hive House tour.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.