Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 16, 2017 09:49PM

Caught on surveillance tape.

He threw one of their guns over a fence, punching one of them out. They then took off on foot, leaving their motorcycles behind!

Take that you effin robbers! Don't mess with the mishies!

Actually, I'm glad he's alright. That must've been damned scary, no matter how brave he felt at the time. Those kids are a long ways from home!

http://video.foxnews.com/v/5362022859001/?#sp=show-clips

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2017 09:53PM by Amyjo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Kathleen nli ( )
Date: March 16, 2017 10:03PM

Why didn't his companion help him?

And all for a lie!

Date: March 16, 2017 10:07PM

His companion stood by watching while he was the one being attacked.

At least one of them went on the offensive. You know the either "fight or flight" defense mechanisms kick in when feeling threatened?

One fought back. The other cowered in a corner. Both very different defenses to the same stimuli.

I feel sorry for these kids. They're too young to be that far away from home in a foreign country like Brazil for extended stays. Brazil is not a safe country for foreigners.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 17, 2017 06:35AM

They don't train or caution them and they don't take responsibility when things go wrong. Shame on the mormon leaders, parents, and home wards for putting naive kids in dangerous situations.

Posted by: Strength in the Loins ( )
Date: March 17, 2017 04:21AM

LOL. Has anyone here seen Orgazmo? I immediately thought of that when I saw this.

Posted by: SonOfLaban ( )
Date: March 17, 2017 06:11AM

You won't ever hear the obverse of the news in any Fast and Testimony Meeting.

"The loaded gun he threw over the wall was picked up by a 7 year old boy who shot his mother, thinking it a toy."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xKkSSKmjbk

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: March 17, 2017 06:13AM

I saw this too on the news yesterday. Brazil is a scary place. It's good he fought the creeps but it may have been better to just give them what little money they had, it couldn't have been much?

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: March 17, 2017 07:05AM

He must not have read the missionary handbook, pages 51-52
https://www.lds.org/bc/content/ldsorg/topics/missionary/MissionaryHandbook2006Navigate.pdf

"Do not resist if you meet thieves. Carry a little cash with you so you have something you"

Date: March 17, 2017 08:02AM

Yeah poopstone, but sometimes if the robber finds what his prey has is "too little," they can also become violent if they don't get "enough."

You'd think the mishies are prepared for this in a country like Brazil. But the instincts kick in like this time, and for a young man with a little in his pocket, that was his first reaction to the adrenaline rush.

Losing his wallet to a mugging also would've meant replacing his ID, and bracing himself against potential ID theft in addition to his money getting stolen.

Why the Mormon church sends these kids into danger zones who really knows? It's no skin off their brows, if someone gets hurt, maimed, or killed. They'll always resort to saying "It was the Lord's will." Like hell it was. They are fools.

Posted by: FallenCountryManoevers ( )
Date: March 17, 2017 02:02PM

Mormon missionary work is a giant meal-plan for mormon self-importance. "He went away on a mission a boy; he came home spam..." We find today that americans generally want access to foreign countries for travelling, sight-seeing, recreation, the educational etc.... apparently, this is becoming more dangerous and less viable as an option. America is overpopulated, and it's not unnatural that many would like other countries to provide temporary or spree extra Living Room. The chief reason for current overpopulation is the Lincoln administration policy- which condition also makes America and americans more odious in the world community! Resentment arises naturally, sort of like "Hey- you should eat that s*** you yourself created- don't come around here looking for relief/respite!" The government will go to war with unfriendly foreign governments- this has never worked and yet they don't seem to learn. Ah, America- it's an Ill Wind That Blows No Good, if you ask me- basically!

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: March 17, 2017 02:47PM

They missed two golden contacts.

Although that huge biker in the vest will be baptized next week.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: March 17, 2017 10:49PM

Wow, one stood up for the other! Like a lazy bum, the other was afraid, just watching like it was a Sunday afternoon movie. Wouldn't want to be his companion (or a missionary for Mormonism in general).

Wonder how that changes companion #1, companion #2.

Date: March 17, 2017 11:22PM

If the video hadn't gone viral, would it even have made the evening news?

Doubtful. I hope those mishies parents learn about it. And for their own sake are given an opportunity to cut short their missions or return home to finish them out in a safer environment.

All this publicity for them in Brazil may work to their detriment. Their attackers may want to get back at them for simply getting away. And they know where to find them.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: March 20, 2017 01:18AM

Just think of all the counter-intuitive things that the church (and religion in general) say about stuff like this. The first thing that comes to my mind is "Turn the other cheek."

That mish didn't do it. He kicked @$$, instead, and I would be proud to trade a high-five with him.

Date: March 20, 2017 04:27PM

He stood up for himself.

I hope his seniors have the foresight to remove him from that location. Those thugs may be on the lookout for him, to retaliate.

Maybe even send him back stateside?

One of my nephews went on his mission at 18 to South America. Instead, because of political uprising where he was originally going, TMC shifted his destination to the Southwest instead. He never left stateside the entire two years of his mission!

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: March 20, 2017 01:39AM

If I were the other missionary, I would go home, dye my hair and change my name.

Date: March 20, 2017 04:27PM

Time to run away and go back home! (He wouldn't be the first.)

:)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.