Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: March 17, 2017 02:44PM

These are the 138 J.C. Penney stores that are about to close

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/these-are-the-138-jc-penney-stores-that-are-about-to-close/ar-BByg5dL

Mine is.It's the only one in Idaho on the list.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 17, 2017 03:25PM

Another big box store downsizing.

Apparently Burley isn't able to support keeping one there. It's only closing the ones it's losing money on, right?

Date: March 17, 2017 03:27PM

Well there is a Walmart right across the street from them....

Date: March 17, 2017 05:10PM

There you go.

Wally World is sucking all the business away from Penney's.

Penney's has been there longer, right?

So, along comes Wally World, with its big box super deals and there goes Penney's business right down the tubes.

It was bound to happen..

Summer mentions the smaller rural towns are a target in her state. Burley is most definitely that in Idaho.

Just wait. There's coming a day when Wally World is going to close its doors because of competition. Like K-Mart before it.

Date: March 17, 2017 05:37PM

http://idahoyesterdays.net/idahoyesterdays/index.php/IY/article/view/23/67

According to this link they've been here since the late 1920's.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 17, 2017 04:41PM

No, thankfully. There is only one closing in Maryland and it's on the Eastern shore in a rural county (Easton, in Talbot County.) The town and store are IMO rather nice. Penney's may not want to send their trucks into such a rural area with no other Penny's stores close by.

I notice that the locations that are closing are for the most part in smaller cities. I see some college towns in there. That may leave a number of people without many options if they favor brick-and-mortar stores.

I don't get all of the love for online shopping for clothing, household items, etc. I'm a tactile person. I like to see things in person, touch them, and try them on.

Date: March 17, 2017 05:12PM

For me, clothing and household furnishings are usually something I buy in person.

The times I've shopped online, it becomes a hassle to have to return something for whatever reason.

Date: March 17, 2017 05:51PM

I feel the same way. Penney's has also been especially friendly to teachers as well. They give us special discount days. I love their khaki pants and cotton tops. They are well suited for an active day of teaching, and they wash well.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: March 17, 2017 06:15PM

Mandatory labor costs keep going up. This helps stores keep closing. IMHO

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 17, 2017 07:13PM

It was always a treat to go to JCP in Great Falls, Montana and buy clothes when I was a kid. We opened an account after we got married. But the exchange on our dollar and the hassle of doing business across the border just got to be a pain in ass. There used to be a Penney's store 90 miles away...but I imagine it's gone too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2017 07:19PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: James Cash Penny ( )
Date: March 17, 2017 08:42PM

Yeah, it's gone. Looks like you pissed that old J.C. Penny away, Ron, so to speak.....

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 17, 2017 10:09PM

I didn't spend enough with them in the last decade to make much of a difference.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 12:33AM

Our JCP has changed so much over the last year's that it wasn't the welcoming, comfortable store that I liked and the placed I remembered growing up.

I had/have such good memories of JCP, that when my wife and I were traveling in SW Wyoming, we made a special detour to go to Kemmerer,WY and visit the original store. It's something to appreciate the location of something that expanded nationwide.

It all started in a small town of about 2600 people.

I hope it will survive somehow.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 01:18AM

I went into the original JC penneys store in Kemmerer Wyoming and was not arrested for being an Atheist.

Posted by: ericka ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 01:31AM

I'm surprised there's only one closing in my state. Ironically, it's one I didn't know existed. The ones in the big malls are still going strong.

The last house I sold in Washington was to a J Penny exec. They were the nicest people. I really liked them. I'm happy to see that his store isn't getting closed down.

Posted by: hgc2 ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 02:45AM

I grew up near Burley. I think I remember a Penney's in Rupert and Burley.

When we moved back to Burley in 1978 that store had been built and the others closed. That mall has never been very successful for any store.

I bought a dress for my 2 year old daughter for her birthday at that store on a Daddy-daughter outing. Memories!

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 03:15AM

The Penny's that's on the list to be closed is one in a tiny mall, as the stores nearest me are in big malls, and still going pretty strong.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 03:32AM

is/was the one in Rexburg still open?

a town near where I live has (had?) one; Snohomish, WA.
no walmart, but the next place, about 10 miles/14 minutes, (Monroe, wa) has a W.World.

shoppers 'win' with lower prices, employees & franchisees lose.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2017 03:33AM by GNPE.

Posted by: Heretic 2 ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 10:26PM

The J.C Penny store in my rural Arizona town closed a couple of decades ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2017 10:27PM by Heretic 2.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: March 19, 2017 12:04AM

I haven't been in a JC Penny since the '60s. So I guess it's all my fault they're struggling.

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: March 19, 2017 12:06AM

I just went to a jc penny in Idaho today wonder if they are closing.

Date: March 19, 2017 12:58AM

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: March 19, 2017 04:06AM

Oh good that isn't the one

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 19, 2017 04:01AM

I think some (small-town) stores are franchise operations, JCP is prolly obligated to supply & service them, But online customers are most likely cutting them too.

Part of the story has been reluctance of on-liners to collect & forward sales taxes, which irks the Brick & Mortar folks.

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: March 19, 2017 08:20AM

I could never see the attraction...prices usually a little higher...no hardware....snooze...like sears they seemed to think paying thirty percent more was deserved just cuz the door was open...there must be a segment of society that feels they get more if they pay more...often not the case...jaguar autos for instance...land rovers...cadillac...beemer...troublesome junk with high repair costs and no better than any other rig imo...my boys have been through the land rover beemer itch and always phone dad to see if theres a cheap way to avoid a 4000 brake job...or 700$ oil change...yeah there is...get a little grease under your finger nails...buy jobber parts...and pay yourself 130 an hour...they get this wild idea from salesmen that these are some supercar...naw just more gadgets and higher depreciation...in ten years theyre beaters just like a chevy...sexy is usually expensive...mind you...i never did find pennys sexy...just expensive...and our dollar sucks and blows at the same time...just like perpetual motion...i just giggled when the battery went dead on sons rover and the POS locked him out...great technology there you smirky dweebs..lets see..it wont start lets be sure no one steals the POS and you cant get the hood open...or bonnet as it were....and you have to swear at a beemer in german or it wont listen...car rant over haha...back to you Jim...if women dont find you handsome...they should at least find you handy

Posted by: kativicky ( )
Date: March 19, 2017 11:26AM

I went to the Penney's near where I lived about a year or so ago and there was nothing there at all especially for clothes for us plus sized ladies. There were quite a few empty spends there. How it is not on the closing list is beyond me.

Posted by: Mujun ( )
Date: March 31, 2017 02:29PM

Some cities resist Walmart. When they give in, they at least get some architectural concessions so the exterior of the store isn't quite so hideous. Burley actively courted Walmart and offered tax incentives. Locals thought it represented a step forward.

J.C. Penney used to have downtown stores in Burley and Rupert. When the mall opened, those stores were consolidated. That's been nearly 40 years. Locally owned downtown stores died first, but even a chain like Penney's can't make it there now. There are reasons why, in a state with so much growth in the past few decades, Burley's population and economy have remained stagnant. Each visit back to my homeland is a little more depressing.

Thus spake Mujun.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.