Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 07:09PM

The great music legend Chuck Berry died today. He was 90 years old. I remember his songs were not allowed at our youth dances. Rock and Roll was Satan Music. We could listen to songs about cheating because they were Country.

If you loved Chuck Berry's music - remember what a great artist he was.

The Master of One.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 07:13PM

"Jonny B. Goode" on the Voyager Golden Record

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FboXO1FtbvE

if anybody ever finds it...

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 07:15PM

According to the radio station surveys for Salt Lake City radio station KCPX at

http://www.las-solanas.com/arsa/stations_item.php?&lttl=1&srt1=tsc_prs DESC&vqry=kcpx&lidx=0&rsid=108

Chuck Berry's biggest hit, the #1 cover of Dave Bartholemew's "My Ding-a-ling," never charted at KCPX. The suspected reason? The song appeared to endorse mastaurbation.

Chuck, rest in peace.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 07:17PM

IMO he was one of the biggest influences on rock 'n roll.

Rest in peace, Chuck.

Date: March 18, 2017 07:20PM

Chuck Berry's death appears to be an Internet hoax.

http://en.mediamass.net/people/chuck-berry/deathhoax.html

I should have checked that before writing my previous response.

Posted by: anon90 ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 07:33PM

I think the news claiming it is a hoax is in fact a hoax. His death is being reported by all the legitimate news organizations. Something has to be done about these fake news sites. It's getting ridiculous.

Date: March 18, 2017 08:38PM

As NPR has now reported his death, you are quite correct--and my first response stands as true.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 07:31PM

Oh, he was okay, I guess. But no other musicians ever covered his songs other than, you know, AC/DC, the Animals, the Beach Boys, the Beatles, Bowie, the Byrds, Chubby Checker, Clapton, the Dave Clark Five, Eddie Cochran, Cream, Dave Edmunds, John Denver, Bo Diddley, the Doors, ELO, the Everly Brothers, Foghat, Rory Gallagher, the Dead, Bill Haley, Emmylou Harris, Hendrix, Buddy Holly, Humble Pie, Iron Maiden, Jan & Dean, Waylon Jennings, Elton John, Tom Jones, Judas Priest, the Kinks, Ten Years After, John Lennon, MC5, Ted Nugent, Jerry Lee Lewis, the Ramones, REO Speedwagon, Elvis Presley, the Rolling Stones, Linda Ronstadt, Carlos Santana, the Scorpions, Bob Seger, the Sex Pistols, Gene Simmons, Simon & Garfunkel, Bruce Springsteen, Rod Stewart, James Taylor, George Thorogood, Three Dog Night, Peter Tosh, Tanya Tucker, Conway Twitty, Uriah Heep, Wyclef Jean, Johnny Winter, the Yardbirds...

(partial list)

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 07:32PM

I read about Chuck Berry dying on Yahoo News. Go to Yahoo.com and it is the newest story.

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 08:11PM

I saw him in person in Tempe Az on New Year's Eve 1971. So much better than on tv. He will be missed. His contribution to rock and roll will live forever!

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 08:44PM

Sad news. Definitely the end of an era.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: March 19, 2017 12:44AM

How long till he is dead-dunked?

Posted by: Mannaz ( )
Date: March 19, 2017 10:38AM

Human sexuality. In honor of Chuck Berry's contribution to all of us ... be us exmo, TBM, nevermo....
https://youtu.be/UaEC-lWSlmI

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2017 10:40AM by mannaz.

Posted by: chancee ( )
Date: March 19, 2017 11:40AM

He definitely made his mark on the world, and will be well remembered for his God given talent.

As a Christian, I wonder if he is in heaven or hell for eternity? He was raised Baptist and that's where he got into music, but apparently altogether rejected it later in life although bringing it up in some of his music. May God have mercy on his soul.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 19, 2017 11:55AM

He never sent me a Christmas card. Not once!

And I even memorized the lyrics to Roll Over Beethoven as a kid.

RIP, Mr. Berry. You made a significant contribution to the world.

Date: March 19, 2017 12:25PM

There aren't many from the first generation of rock and rollers that are still with us. On the top of the list would be Fats Domino, Little Richard, and Jerry Lee Lewis. Lower down would be Frankie Avalon, Fabian, and Lloyd Price. At the bottom (because they aren't really rock and roll) would be Pat Boone and Johnny Mathis (who did a concert tour in 2015).

I would also suggest that the lack of responses to this thread is probably a very good indicator that the generation that listened to this music is now very much fading from the scene as well.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: March 19, 2017 07:09PM

As a teenager I wanted to play electric guitar. I had a pretty good instructor and he told me now you are going to learn some Chuck Berry songs. I know you want to play other stuff but you have to learn Chuck Berry to get to the other stuff if you want to play real good rock and roll. When they call Chuck Berry the father of rock and roll in many ways he was.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.