Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sharapata ( )
Date: March 22, 2017 10:01PM

I am assuming yes because one of the alleged charms of the Church is that it is the same everywhere. So if 10 people show up, the same meetings with the same time lengths go on just like a big ward of 300? so those poor 10 attendees have to just sit and let the same people drone on for 3 hours? Can they end fast and testimony meeting early when everyone present has spoken? This must be sheer torture to those members who live in isolated areas or areas where the Church is so painfully weak.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: March 23, 2017 12:32AM

I lived in an isolated area where a ward dwindled down to a small branch. The problem wasn't so much the time span but the poor folk who did everything. One TBM held onto her testimony somehow but could not do all her callings because the SP insisted they hold onto every single program the ward used to have. She was the music leader/player, SS teacher, RS teacher, and who knows what else she had to do including raising her kids. She wasn't the most healthy of people either. She confided in me that she showed up late for everything so someone else would have to be assigned her duties simply because she wasn't there to start the lessons or lead/play the music. She had begged the BP to release her from about half her callings but he would not do it. They actually had to use a tape recorder to play the hymns in SM if she wasn't there. The BP was a recent convert and had no idea that they had no plans of ever releasing him from his calling because there were no worthy priesthood to replace him.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: March 23, 2017 12:32AM

10 members is a sunday school (too small for a branch). I'm thinking they would only hold one meeting.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: March 23, 2017 12:49AM

My family has attended church in resort areas, like places near Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri, for example, and sometimes they have 2 hour church because the ward is so small and the membership is so transient, especially during the summer, sometimes the people that show up only show up because they own property near the church so they only go x amount of weeks a year, or it's tourists, and the regulars are nowhere near enough to fill out even a decent-size branch. I think they did a one-hour sacrament meeting and Sunday school and maybe a fifteen-minute priesthood meeting.

Posted by: Anonomo ( )
Date: March 23, 2017 11:39AM

Our local ward in Illinois is like this, too. I think they do a 2-hour block starting at 10. Current bishop is in his 30's with 6 or 7 kids and a perfect wife, and he was so "humbled" to be called as bishop, but there was hardly anyone else available who hadn't already served.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: March 23, 2017 12:54AM

I've been to tiny branches. However long the meetings, members would often stick around to socialize because it was about the only time they were among "their people."

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: March 23, 2017 11:21AM

Yes. All members suffer just the same. That's part of the reason the meetings were combined. It used to be (until the eighties) Sunday school and leasthood/ relived society in the am - back home, staying in your uncomfortable Sunday clothes - then back to the building for sacrilegious meeting (some men staying there, fooling around, all day). Attendance wasn't all that good, moreso probably in rural areas or where people had to travel long distances to meet. So the meetings were combined, initially with SM last, often lasting for an hour and a half. Then, since many wouldn't stick around for the sacrament party, they made that the first meeting. Now people (can) skip that or leave after that first hour.

In small branches, the same 20 people clean the building all the time, give talkings and prayers all the time, switch between callings all the time, and always visit and home preach and "teach" and meet with one another all the time...

Posted by: Watchmen ( )
Date: March 23, 2017 11:32AM

When I was in Japan my companion and I were sent to open a new area. There was just us, a member couple (former bishop), and that was it. Each sunday the couple would come to our apartment for sacrament meeting. We'd do the sacrament and each week we'd rotate who would give a 15 minute message. We would then have priesthood meeting. Again, we would simply rotate a 15 minute message. That was it! Best Sundays while a member.

Posted by: Shinehahbeam ( )
Date: March 23, 2017 12:15PM

I was in wards and branches with very few members for most of my mission, and we always had 3 hours of meetings. In one branch there were more missionaries in the area than local members. The missionaries had to speak and/or teach every week.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: March 23, 2017 04:29PM

Regrettably yes, but it is a sacrifice required for eternal salvation in the Celestial Kingdom.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: March 23, 2017 06:12PM

Lordy, lordy.

I can just imagine the torment if you had a sister Agnes who cried and cried some more every F&TMeeting as she gave her monthly update, never missing a month of testimony because she looooved the church so much n' all, of her many weird, but blessed relatives.

Or......and on and on it would go, month after dreary month.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: March 23, 2017 06:21PM

No one has to suffer through 3 hours of church.

People CHOOSE to suffer through 3 hours of church.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.