Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 27, 2017 05:13PM

Thanks for sharing link. A very intriguing article.

One of my children is a physicist, so I have shared this already to my social net..

I've heard that before too, namely in Quantum Physics. Max Born, a renowned pioneer in that field has said that every inanimate thing is never really still or dead. All matter is living and in constant motion. Even a rock, mountain, doorknob, etc.

We're all hurling through space and time at an incredibly fast pace.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: March 27, 2017 05:14PM

I couldn't find a point in the article other than some guy's personal life. He thinks about the Torah, etc. Nice. And a blurb here and there about atoms optimizing their configurations to do whatever it is atoms like to do. So I guess the takeaway is that subatomic particles have a social life. They evolved so that they could drink alcoholic beverages.

Posted by: thinking ( )
Date: March 27, 2017 05:59PM

You forgot getting laid. Atoms and molecules love getting busy.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: March 27, 2017 07:57PM

One or two of my dates were animate during dinner but became inanimate in bed.

Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: March 27, 2017 07:59PM

But the covalent bonds really look down on those perverted ionic bonds. Electron exchange! Is there no more decency in the world?

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 27, 2017 05:15PM

Tal! Welcome back!!
Sincerely!!

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: March 27, 2017 09:51PM

^^^^^this^^^^^!

Posted by: anonuk ( )
Date: March 27, 2017 05:21PM

The thread title made me think of these which I learned about the other day@

Trovants; 'living' romanian stones

"""What makes these rocks multiply? As you’ve read before, any form of water rich in calcium carbonate is essential in forming a Trovant, and that is also the key to make the rock grow in the presence of rainwater. After every heavy rain shower, Trovants absorb the rain’s minerals. The minerals are combined with the chemicals already present in the stone that later creates a reaction and pressure inside. The pressure spontaneously makes the rock grow from the center to its margins and multiply, with a deposition rate of about 4-5 cm in 1000 years."""

http://whenonearth.net/trovants-growing-stones-romania/

lots of pictures on linked page

The article I read about them (cannot find at moment) even went on to say when you cut one of these stones open they have rings, like trees.

Interesting article about the boy England

Posted by: thinking ( )
Date: March 27, 2017 05:57PM

This is from another post, but it applicable to this discussion.

Maybe it's all "alive"? This is something I've pondered about for awhile.

That may seem silly. What is it that defines life? How can we tell that one thing is alive and another is not? Most people have an intuitive understanding of what it means for something to be alive. However, it’s surprisingly hard to come up with a precise definition of life. Because of this, many definitions of life are operational definitions—they allow us to separate living things from nonliving ones, but they don’t actually pin down what life is. To make this separation, we must come up with a list of properties that are, as a group, uniquely characteristic of living organisms. These characteristics and qualification are what people at our current level of science attribute.

When you drill down far enough to you just run into molecules and elements which are considered to be the precursors to life. Obviously, certain things seem more alive than others, but why? One thing is certain the cause and effect principle. From the seemingly lifeless molecules to the complex human will always react with acted upon. Maybe everything has an "element" of life in it just at various complexities which denote its sentience.

My side hypothesis to this quandary. What is the motor or the locomotive force behind all of this which physics has grappled with for 100s of years? My educated guess, under recognized and misunderstood properties of magnetism.

Is there more to the story? An intelligence of some source which set it all in motion and which we are part of? So far nobody seems to be able to prove empirically what they claim to know for or against. To offer up any answer is faith based production of a belief.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: March 27, 2017 08:04PM

thinking Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe it's all "alive"? This is something I've
> pondered about for awhile.

Back in the days before correlation, when all sorts of stuff was preached from the pulpit and in seminary/institute, there were folks taking the doctrine that everything was created spiritually before it was created physically and saying it meant everything has a spirit. That's why, according to them, water can be changed to wine, mountains can be moved thence, and other abracadabra stuff. Priesthood power commands the spirits in those things and they obey. Funny, though, how you don't see the Lord's Anointed doing any of that magic. Maybe the spirits are being disobedient. Maybe the prophet isn't worthy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2017 08:05PM by Stray Mutt.

Posted by: Thinking ( )
Date: March 27, 2017 10:48PM

I remember ideas like that had room to roam as a kid. Regardless of the truth of the ideas it made church more fun and less of a mortuary.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 27, 2017 07:02PM

Interesting. I've long thought that we might not recognize alien life forms when we see them.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: March 27, 2017 07:28PM

I've known for some time now that, conversely, some things that we consider alive are in fact inanimate. Such objects may move and make noises but they are not alive.

If you happen to be in Salt Lake City this coming weekend, head on down to the tabernacle, which will be full of them. You can spot them because they'll be wearing neckties.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 27, 2017 07:42PM

gbl, you beat me to the same thought :)

Posted by: evergreen ( )
Date: March 27, 2017 10:53PM

The inanimate objects not wearing ties wear dresses

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 27, 2017 08:30PM

We do have some rocks in Death Valley that refuse to stay in one place. And they're smart enough to move when no one's looking.

Posted by: elderpopejoy ( )
Date: March 27, 2017 09:59PM

donbagley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We do have some rocks in Death Valley that refuse
> to stay in one place. And they're smart enough to
> move when no one's looking.

Quite right you are. And down in Southern Cal, some time ago, we had a vintage Ford or something hit with a vivicatory thing and she turned like a mad thing on innocent humans.

The car was self-healing after attacks but finally got stopped by a hydraulic smash-press.

Mock not. Inanimate, malevolent wandering stones and alien mineral bugs are out there.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: March 27, 2017 09:27PM

That might be classified info there Bagley.

BYU and Dan Peterson studies now days are focusing on Jaredite

barge propulsion technology based on the sacred sailing stones

of the desert.

Look it up.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/how-do-death-valleys-sailing-stones-move-themselves-across-the-desert-98287558/

It's all about the rocks.

eta:

Which reminds me, I gotta get my pineal gland checked out soon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2017 09:35PM by Shummy.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: March 27, 2017 09:29PM

Tally ho Tal. Good to see ya.

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: March 27, 2017 09:39PM

Hiya Tal. Glad to see you stop back in with some interesting info.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: March 27, 2017 11:08PM

This definitely applies to me--The Boner

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: March 27, 2017 11:50PM

Well, I have long been frustrated by the rude way that inanimate objects insist on thwarting me at every turn. They are, honestly, almost as bad as cats.

(But I sorta like cats, anyway. At least they are warm and cuddly.)

Posted by: renaew ( )
Date: March 28, 2017 12:02AM

Its interesting..the further along we get into this the reality sets in that we actually don't know much about what seems to be true science, evolution etc.. for example...

Regarding evolution Darwinian evolution and the like we see this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0u3-2CGOMQ

Regarding science vs theology we see this too;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChWiZ3iXWwM

Welcome back Tal. :)

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 28, 2017 12:27AM

my ex wife ?

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: March 28, 2017 12:28AM

You get two free posts, then they'll be all over your ass again.

Posted by: boilerluv ( )
Date: March 28, 2017 05:01PM

I have always felt that "inanimate objects" had feelings. Case in point: when I was about 4, my grandma took me to the five and dime store downtown (I think it may have been a Kresge's) to buy me my very own drinking cup--well, actually, a plastic glass no taller than a cup. They had so many pretty colors! Cobalt blue, cherry red (my very favorite color), bright sunshine yellow, a gorgeous green, wondrous purple, and--on the very end---a very ugly brown. Kind of a dirt color--or maybe the brown that one sees if one inspects one's natural waste before flushing. I mean, it was ugly. Grandma asked me which one I would like, expecting me to choose the red. I looked them all over, sighing inside because I knew I had to choose the brown one, which I did. My grandmother was blown away. But, honey, WHY do you want that one? Look at the pretty ones--all the pretty colors! Why would you pick the ugly brown one? The answer was obvious to me: if I didn't pick it, nobody would, and it would feel so bad to see all the other cups being chosen and taken home, while it sat there, day after day, hoping against hope that someone would choose it. Well, I chose it. And I could tell it was happy that I chose it. And it was MY cup from then on--MY very own sweet drinking cup, and it lived with ME and not in a store where nobody wanted it. After all, it couldn't help it that it wasn't bright and pretty like some of the others. So....do inanimate objects have feelings? Don't you ever automatically say, "Sorry!" when you accidently kick the footstool? And did you never read "The Velveteen Rabbit"? Just saying... :)

Posted by: proofofthepudding ( )
Date: March 28, 2017 05:38PM

Anthropomorphism is the attribution of human traits, emotions, and intentions to non-human entities and is considered to be an innate tendency of human psychology.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropomorphism

The article didn't say much of anything about the actual science involved in this theory. It appears that science has come full circle - back to what we once thought was the superstitious, paranormal basis of most religions in the world - life after death and life/spirits in inanimate objects,

Animism (from Latin anima, "breath, spirit, life") is the religious belief or worldview that various objects, places, and creatures all possess distinctive spiritual qualities. Potentially, animism perceives all things—animals, plants, rocks, rivers, weather systems, human handiwork, and perhaps even words—as animate and alive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animism

Still... I thank my chickens for their hard work laying their eggs. I sense that my dog, horse, and chickens feel joy, fear, and sadness and I thank them for their companionship. I always thank my rusty old Chevy truck for all her hard work and service over the years. I often thank my home for his strength and protection in keeping me safe and warm.

You never know.... so, live with a gratitude attitude.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.