Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: March 28, 2017 08:48AM

We had a massive hail storm on Thursday of last week. My Honda Civic and Mazda truck were totaled. We had a new roof put on 4 years ago. It now needs replacement. Fortunately, DW's car was in the garage. I am waiting for the salvage tow to pick up the Civic this morning. The gas company is here replacing a damaged gas meter. The hail went through the mailbox leaving a couple of perfect 3 inch holes. Much of the landscaping is gone. All the homes in the neighborhood are covered with tarps and there are roofing salespeople going door to door every day. One roofer even set up a camper with a massive sign - "free tarp installation".

We have had many warning of hail in the past which all amounted to only a hard rain. As usual, we ignored this warning. Next time we will know better.

This is minor problem compared to what other posters have written about in their lives. I hesitated to post this as I am not looking for sympathy. We have insurance and we will be out a few thousand dollars getting a new car, pay for the roof deductible and landscaping. I am posting this as hail can be very damaging. It is almost like a tornado. Take a warning seriously.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 28, 2017 09:11AM

Good luck with all of that, Eric. Glad you have insurance, but it's still a hassle and an expense for you!

Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: March 28, 2017 09:14AM

that sounds frightening, even deadly. I've seen lots of hail, but none like that!

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 28, 2017 09:20AM

Wow, 2 cars and a roof! Must've been baseball-sized ice!

I was on a business trip to Dallas years ago (installing a computer system at SMU) when a similar hailstorm hit. Broke the windshield and dented the hell out of my rental car. When I took it back (I had the 'extra' insurance), the rental car agent said they had over 100 cars come in with hail damage, the worst she'd ever seen.

Hail hath no fury...

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 28, 2017 09:25AM

Check to see whether FEMA will be offering any assistance to people in your area. It sounds devastating enough the governor ought to declare it a state of emergency.

FEMA may help with some costs toward vehicle replacement is why I mention it, if it becomes available. Although it takes into account any insurance you already have.

It's traumatizing to have any catastrophic loss. Sorry for your losses. Glad that no one was injured.

Posted by: jerry64 ( )
Date: March 28, 2017 09:39AM

When you get your roof replaced look for a roofer who uses Malarkey Legacy hail resistant shingles. Nothing is going to survive 3-inch hail, but these are the best Class-IV hail impact resistant shingles ... the GAF ones we had failed with 1-1.5 inch hail (supposedly rated to 2-inch), so I asked around some wind engineers I know and one in particular who does a lot of work with roofing (who lives in Lewisville, just south of this swath) has the Malarkey Legacy on his roof, so we put it on our roof - looks good too. Funny name, but good stuff.

https://malarkeyroofing.com/product_detail/legacy

Posted by: heartfelt ( )
Date: March 28, 2017 09:47AM

You have my sympathy anyway, Erik. It is a frightening experience, basically raining rocks coming at one at varying speeds.

I've lived in tornado alley all of my life, and for hail that large to form, it sounds like you were under a tornado still in its horizontal mode. I'm glad it was not worse.

May the repairs go swiftly and well.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: March 28, 2017 10:32AM

Keep it on YOUR side of the state!

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: March 28, 2017 11:08AM

Augh, Eric, I'm so sorry! That was my chief dread when I lived in San Angelo, TX. My car was one of the few with no hail damage. There's no fixing a car with hail damage, is there. Sorry most of all for your Mazda truck and landscaping. I have no clue why those two have special meaning to me.

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: March 28, 2017 11:11AM

We get tons of hail around here (E. Wyoming). Beware of all those folks showing up to do roofs and car dent repair. While some are legit, there are a lot of scammers in their midst.

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: March 28, 2017 06:48PM

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: March 28, 2017 11:19AM

Well, it finally happened. God went biblical on your ass. Just be glad it wasn't frogs.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 28, 2017 03:32PM

Frogs won't hurt your car, but if your shoes have lugged soles, the frogs make a total mess all over the carpet. It's why all those Jewish mothers insisted on moving out of Egypt.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 28, 2017 11:33AM

Over our 40+ year farming career we've had several hail events here that took our crops, but thankfully not to much damage to buildings and vehicles. Hail is nasty for sure. Good luck with getting back to some kind of normal, Eric.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2017 11:34AM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: Shinehahbeam ( )
Date: March 28, 2017 11:56AM

So sorry! I've only lived through hail like that once. We lived in an apartment complex with no covered parking at the time. Almost every car in the parking lot, including ours, was totaled. Every roof in the surrounding neighborhood had to be replaced. It took months. We lived in the same area for the next 20 years and never saw hail like that again...probably never saw hail even 1% of the mass of those hail stones...thankfully. Glad you're safe, and hope you get everything fixed and replaced as quickly and as painlessly as possible.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 28, 2017 12:31PM

A couple years ago the uber TBM town of Cardston (site of Canada's first MORG temple) was hit with a monster hail storm. Apparently the LARD was out on a coffee break that afternoon. Softball sized hail hammered the town of 3500 and caused more than $80M in damage.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: March 28, 2017 12:39PM

Wow...I had no idea that hail could do this kind of damage.

Thanks for the warning, because if I'm ever in an area where a hail storm is predicted, I will DEFINITELY be paying a lot more attention to the weather warnings!

I am sorry for the damage to you, and to everyone in your area.

:(

Posted by: 64monkey ( )
Date: March 28, 2017 01:50PM

What a pain, sorry to hear about your damage. Life is always throwing something at us. I lived in Oklahoma for about 9 years. Mother nature had a way of reminding me once or twice each spring how insignificant I was.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: March 28, 2017 02:14PM

And then I thought you were going to say that the local LDS meeting house was totally unaffected and had sunshine and fluffy bunnies hopping around it while the rest of the town (and especially that bothersome Episcopal church down the street) was totalled.

Sorry to hear about the damage; they talked about that weather forecast on the radio here in LA so I knew it was serious. We actually did have crop damage from hail about 10 years in "sunny" Southern California!

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: March 28, 2017 03:46PM

Be very, very, wary about roofers. Many are predatory and follow hail storms. They ask for a lot of upfront money and then they disappear. Warn your neighbors. They're a focused, organized, well practiced scam group. Kinda like "the" church.

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: March 28, 2017 06:47PM

Hail sucks. Hang in there.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 28, 2017 06:58PM

I'm sorry for your troubles, Eric. I've been through some hail storms, but never anything that big. Once I was out on the highway and was able to pull under an underpass to ride it out.

As my mom used to say, the important thing is that you are safe. You can always replace "stuff."

Posted by: janis ( )
Date: March 28, 2017 08:15PM

Hail storms do amazing damage. I've never been through one, but my stepson had to deal with one last year. He'd just moved into his brand new first home.

The new landscape was trashed, lots of roof damage, three broken windows. Lucky their cars were in the garage. They also were insured, but it was $1000's worth of damage.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: March 28, 2017 08:24PM

You have got to love Texas weather in the spring. I got my new roof last October to cover the damage from the March 2016 storm. I had a class IV roof then and do again. It held up pretty good, but Mother Nature won out in the end.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: March 28, 2017 09:28PM

Glad you are all safe!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 29, 2017 01:15AM

Eric, god is punishing you for not fixing the RfM search function.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 30, 2017 12:13AM

I remember when god sent a tornado to Salt Lake to destroy a gay bar.

Posted by: Honest TBM ( )
Date: March 29, 2017 01:27AM

Sorry about the hail. Now when it comes to insurance I know of a super one. For just 10% of your gross income you can get Judgment Day Fire Insurance. It's fully backed by the good faith that people have that the BoM is the most correct book on earth and that the LDS church is true (I.e. Transparent, truthful, honest, etc) since without such super reliable assurances we would be foolish to pay for such insurance, unless our real reason is because it's worth the dough for us go watch an awesome movie in the temple movie theaters while dressed up in appropriate ritual attire.

Posted by: MexMom ( )
Date: March 29, 2017 01:47AM

I'm so sorry to hear of your misfortune Eric. I hope that you and yours never have to go through that again. Thanks for the warning. I had no idea that hail could total cars and ruin roofs. Sending you biggest cyber hugs from this MexMom.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 29, 2017 02:47AM

That's some hail to total a car. I've never seen it like that, Eric.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 29, 2017 01:40PM

here in Utah last year, but it didn't cause that kind of damage!!! It blew over so quickly.

The first year I've planted a garden. I'm anti-gardening after being a farmer's daughter. So at age 59, I plant a garden. So much for that . . .

We had piles of hail that didn't melt for days in JUNE. I couldn't believe it.

Posted by: paintinginthewin ( )
Date: March 29, 2017 02:40PM

Exhausting aftermath, sounds visceral life and death level stimulating triggering survival response and reactiveness. Adrenaline other stuff , hard to sit on your couch calm back down wrapped in a blanket with socks on your toes with roof failing water falling in, difficult to drive away with totaled vehicles.

Vitamins massage & life's comfort in a cup of decaf to you and yours

Posted by: up ( )
Date: April 03, 2017 10:06PM

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: April 03, 2017 11:08PM

Not trying to be snarky--actual but probably stupid question. What good does heeding a hail warning do RE: property. I understand that you don't want to be on the roads, but be inside,bring pets in, etc. But what can you do about your house, yard, car etc apart from miles and miles of bubble wrap?

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: April 03, 2017 11:35PM

I could of perhaps saved one of the cars by covering it and parking it as close to the house and garage as possible. It might of kept it from being totaled.

To add to the fun I have been having lately, my 87 year old mother in Florida wrecked 3 cars a few days ago. I have been dealing with insurance down there now too. Fortunately there were no serious injuries. It could of been much worse. We had to tell her that her driving days are over.
Yesterday I get a call from one of her home health nurses saying my mother should no longer live alone in her home. Yet another situation to deal with as she is resisting a nursing home. Dementia has accelerated. Sigh...

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 04, 2017 03:23AM

That's terrible about the wrecked cars and having to go to a live-in facility. It's hard to deal with her when you're also having to work out insurance problems and the situation with her house, not to mention your own storm damage. I can only say to take it a day at a time and handle each problem in turn. I'm sure you'll be fine in the long run. Just glad everyone is safe.

Posted by: Hockey Rat ( )
Date: April 04, 2017 12:02AM

I'm so sorry to hear about everything going on in your life. When it rains, it pours. Are you able to move in your house soon? I hope too much wasn't damaged, but the cars and roof are almost everything. Did you have any damage inside, broken windows or anything?
Warnings ARE giving for a reason, like you said, it gives you a chance to cover up things . That's why they make heavy covers for vehicles , and why people board up their windows , who live in hurricane territory.
I hope you find a nice place for your mom , and she decides to go
There are a lot of web sites like " A place for mom", and other eldercare websites.
I hope everything works out for you

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: April 04, 2017 02:53AM

It hailed pretty bad here yesterday and it never hails here guess God was mad about conference I know I would be it easily wrecked some cars out there atleast their windshields.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.