Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: yeppers ( )
Date: March 29, 2017 01:31PM

We had to clean the chapel the other day, and my wife informed me that we have to take our own cleaning supplies & vacuum as they are no longer provided by the church.

Has anyone else seen this yet?

We sure did, we had to take all of our household stuff, vacuum and all to clean the chapel.

All of the supplies (except for TP, towels, & hand soap) were removed from the cleaning closet.

Members are now expected to provide cleaning supplies when it's their turn to clean the ward building.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: March 29, 2017 01:39PM

that's just petty

at the outset of this program, the edict from corporate came with the reasoning that if the members become invested in their property, they'll keep it up better. They were giving their members something to do to connect with the building I guess.

Now if they're going to remove all the cleaning supplies, that kind of negates their original motive doesn't it? Now, it's CLEARLY about the money.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2017 01:41PM by Levi.

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: March 30, 2017 03:54PM

That'd be a real deal-breaker for me.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: March 29, 2017 01:43PM

I'd make a point of taking a leaf blower, and starting in one end, and out the door in the other. Then I'd feed the garden hose in through the restroom windows and give the bathrooms a good hosedown, before locking up and leaving. If there are any questions, you could just tell them that's what you do at home, and it works for you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2017 01:43PM by cludgie.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: March 29, 2017 02:35PM

We have a winner.

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: March 29, 2017 02:51PM

Just a suggestion.

Posted by: Tyrrhenia ( )
Date: March 29, 2017 03:09PM

Hahaha! super idea, cludgie!

Posted by: holycarp ( )
Date: March 29, 2017 05:34PM

Most funny thing I've seen in a long time, Cludgie!

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: March 29, 2017 01:49PM

I think this a new ploy by leadership to bring the "spirit" of the chapel into every members home.

You know how when you vacuum a house that has a dog in it, the vacuum spews out "dog" smell forever after?

You'll get that musty church smell into your vacuum and every time you use it at home, you'll get to smell that unmistakable smell and feel just like you are in church.....or at least cleaning one.

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: March 29, 2017 09:17PM

Better yet, be sure to spew the dog smell into the chapel! ;)

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 29, 2017 01:53PM

Nothing I like more than loading up my vacuum to take it somewhere to do work. I wouldn't use my vacuum in the lds church anyway.

They just keep making it more and more unattractive. My daughter has never had to clean a stake center or temple. She even says she is RELIEVED. I wonder how she'd feel if she had to live in Utah all the time. She hates mormon culture. But being in Alaska 7 months of the year makes it easy to not be too involved. She couldn't find where stake conference was a few weeks ago, so bagged attending.

Posted by: paintinginthewin ( )
Date: March 29, 2017 02:22PM

Or do they get stuck in the bag of your vacuums? Never could figure that out. But don't like using inhalers extra after catching colds bronchitis flu. At any rate Guess there's never any molds or pollen in a meetinghouse so wouldn't cause any respiratory symptoms by using the vacume again at home, or would it? That's a lot of shoes & shoulders who shake pollen off getting into their seat in spring. Does it - does it get back out if your vacume? Oh Jesus don't even say hepatitis let's think upper respiratory symptoms nothing terrifying

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2017 02:23PM by paintinginthewin.

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: March 29, 2017 02:41PM

Don't you mean down a notch!???

Posted by: Shinehahbeam ( )
Date: March 29, 2017 02:54PM

Where is this? Sounds like it came from local leaders. I know they aren't doing that here.

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: March 29, 2017 03:30PM

"we HAD TO clean the chapel the other day...."

just what is directed at MorBots, making them "think" that they "have to" do anything the Morg sends their way, including:

NO casual nude snuggling / cuddling with your spouse; Once garments are OFF, U 'gotta' do the Deed, then PUT THEM BACK ON IMMEDIATELY!

NO alternate love-making, no oral (kissing), NOTHING ELSE besides what is DIRECTED from-by 15 old guys who are 'Church Broke' into preaching the Party Line @ 100%

sheesh folks, .... who Really puts up with this crap?

Posted by: bluebutterfly ( )
Date: March 29, 2017 04:03PM

GNPE1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "we HAD TO clean the chapel the other day...."
>
> just what is directed at MorBots, making them
> "think" that they "have to" do anything the Morg
> sends their way, including:
>
> NO casual nude snuggling / cuddling with your
> spouse; Once garments are OFF, U 'gotta' do the
> Deed, then PUT THEM BACK ON IMMEDIATELY!
>
> NO alternate love-making, no oral (kissing),
> NOTHING ELSE besides what is DIRECTED from-by 15
> old guys who are 'Church Broke' into preaching the
> Party Line @ 100%
>
>
> sheesh folks, .... who Really puts up with this
> crap?

Is this what they really tell people?? I never went through the temple, hence never wore garments. Do they 'council' people about this in the temple or in Sunday school? Wtf?! I remember going swimming last summer with my TBM sister and noticed that she hurried up afterwards to go get back into garments and get dressed and remember thinking wtf. She wouldn't hang out in her swimsuit and a cover-up like some of us did. The power over their thinking is so strong it's sickening!

And to the OP the stories I read here never cease to amaze me. I'm in CA...I wonder if my family schleps their own cleaning supplies and vacuum to the building. Now I must find out!

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: March 29, 2017 03:43PM

Some people seem to feel better the more abused they are.

My neighbors are having financial problems. He lost his job. She needs orthopedic surgery and dental work but doesn't have the money to do it. Her jaw is swollen for gawd's sake and she can't go get it taken care of.

I see them heading off to church every single Sunday morning. In the 15 years they've lived there I don't think they've missed more than 2 Sundays. I'm pretty sure they still pay their 10% tithing. I'm positive that they take their turn cleaning because she has mentioned it to me. And after all that, the church can't even see a way to help the poor woman with a dental emergency.

And I will see them all dressed up and heading off cheerily to the ward house again this Sunday. Swollen jaw and limp and all.

I was thinking of a way to offer my help for her dental work, then I thought hey, if the wealthiest church in the world won't help her. If the church that does SO MUCH GOOD (gag) won't help her after all the years she and hubby have paid into it, and yet she's still loyal to said church. Then who am I to step in and help?

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 29, 2017 04:28PM

We don't realize how scary dental infections are. It can kill her. I just paid for my son to have a tooth pulled that was infected as he has no dental insurance.

She must in horrible pain.

Posted by: janis ( )
Date: March 31, 2017 03:46PM

People don't realize that mouth infections can go straight into your heart. She's living dangerously. I had this happen to me when I wore braces on my teeth. I ended lip in the hospital on complete bedrest for a month, and another month in bed at home. They told me I was lucky I didn't die. Those types of heart infections eat away at the heart valves.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: March 30, 2017 04:13PM

The sad thing is that if they hadn't been paying that 10%, she could have afforded to have that tooth pulled, and the infection treated.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 29, 2017 04:27PM

Bring your own cleaning supplies? That's just crazy.

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: March 29, 2017 04:38PM

Yeppers I thought you were home free of this nonsense did you cave in?

Posted by: yeppers ( )
Date: March 29, 2017 04:52PM

TBM wife.

I did all this to avoid "the look".

Married men know what I'm talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL5oHt_8RLg

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: March 29, 2017 06:20PM

I see I didn't even know you were married till today

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 29, 2017 05:15PM

They're really becoming delirious. Don't they realize that there is a problem getting the slaves to show up to clean in the first place? Some members' attitude toward hygiene is atrocious to begin with. It makes me never want to set foot inside their smelly buildings. Some members don't buy cleaning products. They make their own concoctions out of limes and grapefruits (no vinegar). Very unhealthy and yucky.

I had to show some of my companions how to mop and clean with real chemicals. One guy would spray a room deodorizer and say "We're all clean here!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2017 05:16PM by messygoop.

Posted by: redpill ( )
Date: March 29, 2017 05:19PM

I bet the cleaning supply cost went through the roof when members started stealing supplies. Just like locks on the lockers in the temple. Hmmmmm.

Quorum of the 12 meeting agenda item #1. 'Members are using too much soap on the church.'

How do we fix that...make them bring their own supplies. (damn freeloaders)

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: April 01, 2017 11:53AM

^^^^^^^
THIS

As DeepThroat said, "follow the money" if you want to get to the bottom of any church decision.

Posted by: tnurg ( )
Date: March 29, 2017 05:51PM

The wacky/ever so tacky, so-called - one true church on earth (the mormons) strikes again! Heretofore, I've never personally witnessed a multi-billion dollar Corporate CULT/full blown GOD CON treat its members with such contempt! Now the victims are required to clean with no cleaning solutions/vacuum necessary to accomplish their required tasks! This kinda reminds me of Pharaoh requiring enslaved Jews to make bricks without straw! I ask, who in their right mind can support these creeps of false religion? This brazen, ultimately offensive, out of control GOD fraud is in obvious free fall/losing its luster faster than tnurg anticipated! I may actually still be around when this monster implodes from within! Oh whoa - the wailing/gnashing of teeth! Yes indeed, it will be a dark day in Zion!

Remember, their Articles of Incorporation allow the Corporate Sole/ordained, subordinate thieves who claim to be special witnesses of Jesus Christ while adamantly testifying of peep stone jo smith jr.'s profitic calling to arbitrarily shut the doors when considered most advantageous, secure all assets/ abscond with all the money! God does indeed work in mysterious ways! As Always, tnurg (GRUNT)

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: March 30, 2017 01:41PM

You forgot about the landscaping, weeding, lawn mowing etc.. outside!!

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: March 29, 2017 06:00PM

The purpose is to safe money.
If members use the wrong cleaning supplies and things break because of it they might change it back to providing cleaning supplies again. Thanks for the update very interesting.

Posted by: evergreen ( )
Date: March 29, 2017 06:19PM

I believe there is a danger to your family in using your home utensils in a commercial building. Toilet scrubbers, rags, vacuums can pick up dangerous bacteria and viruses you bring home with you.

Posted by: KiNeverMo ( )
Date: March 31, 2017 04:49PM

Transporting and using your own toilet brush? Now I wanna hurl.

Posted by: janis ( )
Date: March 29, 2017 07:09PM

I would never ever use my own vacuum cleaner in a a public building. First of all, vacuum's are expensive. I wouldn't be willing to wear mine out at the church. Second of all why would I want to drag that dirt back to my house inside my vacuum? This is not a good idea.

I also wouldn't buy their cleaning supplies.
Oh yeah, I never did clean the building, and never intended to. I thought the people who did were crazy.

The church is stinking rich. They can hire their own housekeeper and supplies. Anyone who willingly does this for them is only enabling the mormon corp. to take further advantage of the members.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 29, 2017 07:53PM

A resignation will clean up more messes than an army of vacuum cleaners.

Posted by: No thanks ( )
Date: March 29, 2017 09:20PM

Another example of your bishopric's powers of discernment (not)

consider this scenario:

Week 1: Bro and Sis "A" have fleas at their home. They bring their vacuum after vacuuming their house.

Week 2: Bro and Sis "B" live in an apt. with cockroaches but they've just vacuumed there and now will come to the ward with their vacuum.

Week 3: You just brought your home vacuum to the church and afterwards bring it home and put it away in your broom closet.

Do you really want to do that?

There are some things (besides my toothbrush) that I don't share, even with family. My "sacred not shared" list:

my sewing machine (not for hygienic reasons)
my computer
power tools
vacuum (I once lent one to DD and just let her
keep it)
good knives and scissors

What's on your "sacred not shared" list?

Date: March 29, 2017 09:41PM

You must love DW

Date: March 29, 2017 09:48PM

The frogs are almost boiling and yet they remain in the pot.......

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: March 30, 2017 02:27PM

1. Set up a "janitor fund" for your ward.
2. All the prominent families contribute money to the fund.
3. A member who contributes should reduce their next tithing payment by the amount they paid into the janitor fund.
4. Find a needy family in the ward and appoint the man/woman as "the janitor."
5. Pay them a reasonable salary to clean the ward building, with the money coming from the janitor fund.
6. By doing this the Church is actually paying for the janitor, since the money came out of tithing.
7. A needy family gets a source of income.
8. No member who doesn't want to be a janitor is required to do that work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2017 10:44AM by saviorself.

Posted by: TXRancher ( )
Date: March 30, 2017 03:30PM

"3. A member who contributes reduces their tithing payment by the amount they pay into the janitor fund."

The flaw in your suggestion.

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: March 30, 2017 05:31PM

Except maybe number 4. You need a person with some training and experience to do it right, and possibly the same person to do general building maintenance (even greater need for training and experience). Said person could have an assistant(s) who is paid to do sweeping, vacuuming, or some other basic tasks, that might be where 4 comes into play.

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: March 30, 2017 02:49PM

Isn't this exactly what Pharaoh did to punish the mythical Isrealites in Exodus 5?

"Ye shall no more give the people straw to make brick, as heretofore: let them go and gather straw for themselves".

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: March 31, 2017 10:16PM

Good for you, fossilman! You beat mme to it.

Additional thought: Consider what happened to Pharoah!

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: March 30, 2017 04:07PM

Don't suppose you can deduct that from your tithing!

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 30, 2017 04:16PM

There was a time the janitors were paid for by church headquarters, or the ward building fund.

I wouldn't clean the chapel or the bathrooms for free. Nor would I bring my own cleaning supplies to do it.

If the church is that financially distressed it can no longer pay hired help, why does it keep building more church houses and temples it cannot seem to afford?

It was never about the members taking "ownership" of their buildings. It was always about cutting costs as mandated from Temple Square. Any other reasoning is just an excuse to further dupe its members.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 30, 2017 04:43PM

I would never bring my vacuum, broom, etc. into a public-use building.

Many teacher buy brooms, but we keep them at school. I would never bring it home. I also sometimes buy spray cleaner to use on my students' desks, the countertops, tables, and walls. But it will only go so far. There is a reason that commercial cleaners are called "industrial strength." The spray cleaner that our school janitor uses will get off many marks that my grocery store cleaner will not.

It is insane to require that church members provide their own vacuums and cleaning supplies. You have to wonder when the membership will say, "Enough."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2017 04:44PM by summer.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 30, 2017 05:34PM

Question: Are the temple cleaners PAID HELP or FREE LABOR?

Because if they are PAID LABOR, then consider that ALL members tithes, whether TR holders or not are supporting those temples to the max. While the ward meeting houses suffer.

In other words, they're being cheated in more ways than one.

Posted by: canary21 ( )
Date: March 30, 2017 05:38PM

The family ward I visit still has their cleaning supplies including the vacuum. I attend Institute in my hometown's ward chapel and they still their theirs, as well.

It sounds like your ward is trying to contain costs because they don't have a lot of money.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2017 05:39PM by canary21.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: March 31, 2017 01:06PM

The temples are cleaned by the members, just like the ward houses. Temple cleaning slaves are a step above the others, because they have to have a temple recommend. I've actually heard people brag about cleaning the temple!

Our SLC ward was chosen to be one of the first to be mandated to clean our ward house. Church Headquarters wanted to see how this would "work out" (meaning, if members were stupid enough to comply). Our ward is made up of some of the wealthiest people in Utah, and some of them hired a professional cleaning service, to take their turn for them. The cult didn't like that, and announced at the pulpit that members could not hire someone else--that would be defeating the spirit of giving service to The Lord.

Ha-Ha-ha-Ha-ha-ha!!

I still can't believe that the cult gets away with being so rude to its own members.

Buy separate cleaning supplies for the church building, and keep them in a separate box in the garage or porch, outside the house.

I recommend:
--Ajax and steel wool for the bathroom sinks and tiles
--undiluted bleach for the walls and the pews. It kills germs, and covers up odors.
--plain tap water on the windows, applied with a wet sponge.
--Don't use a vacuum, but one of those metal carpet-sweeper things. If it doesn't pick up everything--oh well.

Date: March 31, 2017 02:55PM

Better yet, talk DW into not taking her turn at cleaning.

Date: March 31, 2017 03:16PM

Breeze had the sanitary approach.

My approach:

Bring your no-longer-worn garments as rags. Don't buy any supplies except for rubber gloves. If the church does not buy supplies, you should not either. Use water only to clean.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: March 31, 2017 04:27PM

I concur with all the outrage

Just one small thing:

what the jesus h christ happened to the church owned vac? did they pawn it? bishop took it home? what? where? why?

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: March 31, 2017 05:42PM

the beatings will continue until morale improves.

Date: April 01, 2017 12:19AM

I think the beatings will just continue.

Posted by: Nevermo4 ( )
Date: March 31, 2017 05:55PM

Hi there.

I am convinced my ward have a groundsman who is mowing the lawn.

I mean this in the nicest way possble,he is very efficient and normal looking.

He comes in on a Saturday in a t-shirt and jeans and gets the job(the lawn) done in double quick time.

Haven't seen him on the Ward facebook page,(Cork branch news),lol there is no 'news' tho.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: March 31, 2017 11:22PM

So glad I got out of that church before this cleaning nonsense too root.

If they had any respect or honored their members and their buildings they would make sure they were properly cared for by professionals who could sanitize, disinfect and clean with high standards keeping the building a safe place to meet.

I refuse to allow anyone to use any other vacuum than mine, in my house. That's just asking for trouble. Not sanitary.

This is a church that has no concern for the members or they would hire professional people to take good care of their building and grounds. Simply put: they don't care about the members or the buildings.

Posted by: NoNameNope ( )
Date: April 01, 2017 12:33AM

Long turn lurker rare poster. I came specifically looking for a thread like this. Something similar is going on in my ward. I was told that we would have to do our own building maintenance instead of the paid people that come around occassionally.I was told that this came from the top, not locally. I will find out next month when I clean the building.it sounds like a cash flow problem to me. It will be interesting to watch as revenues peak and austerity kicks in. Businesses have no choice but to reduce expenses.

Posted by: overit ( )
Date: April 01, 2017 01:12AM

I was constantly it was my "day" to cleaning and that I was required to report to the building at 7am on a Saturday!I would tell sister rs pres that the only thing I did 7am Sat was sleep (I was on my way out by that stage) as I remember we would frequently get berated for our failures to scrub! i also remember being told we could no longer leave soiled diapers in the soiled diaper bin. I had three in diapers. No way was I taking home up to three soiled diapers with me...such a rebel. I was destined to leave I had an unfortunate way of thinking for myself!

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: April 01, 2017 09:03AM

This sounds like a local directive. My guess is most stakes still pay for cleaning supplies for buildings. I'd say I have a hard time believing that the church is so cheap that they require members to bring in their own vacuums and cleaning supplies, but I actually could believe it. The reason I don't believe it is because it's just not practical- I would think you would need certain kinds of cleaning materials and maybe even an industrial-strength vacuum cleaner to clean building so large, but for all I know they use regular cleaners and regular vacuums. Also, isn't there a calling that has to do with coordinating the cleaning of buildings in the purchasing of supplies and so forth? Aren't they the kind of people that also coordinate hiring people to shovel the parking lots when it snows and stuff? Anyway, I know at the church my parents attend they don't have to bring their own cleaners.

I cannot believe the lengths the church will go to, whether at the local level or worldwide, to Stretch A Buck. It's insulting.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 01, 2017 09:12AM

Yeppers, I agree with Midwestanon. It sounds like a local directive. I would go up the chain of command in the church to get this corrected. Members should not have to provide their own vacuums and cleaning supplies.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.