Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: April 01, 2017 02:33AM

I worked tonight at the parking booth at the Radisson Hotel in Downtown SLC, which I've mentioned before I think. It’s about 3 blocks from Temple square and I noticed several car loads of people (Ford Expeditions, Dodge Caravans and Honda Odysseys and the like) checking in, full of only white people and their kids.

One family unloaded their luggage in the section before the parking booth, and there were at least 5 kids, all under 15 or so, plus a very handsome guy and his equally attractive wife. They had one of the hotel carts and hung dress clothes for what I assumed were for the whole family. Then it dawned on me that it’s GC this weekend, and that’s who all the TBM-ish looking people were; they ARE TBM’s.

This guy with the biggish family and all the dress clothes had that typically Mormon look of a guy who was a bishop by his 30’s, and I sort of wondered if he might have received a call to be in the group of GA’s who are announced in GC sessions. (I have no clue what the process is). It’s been so long since I paid attention to what goes on there, I’ve forgotten what the names of the positions are.

Crossed my mind that maybe I should watch conference just to see if this guy shows up and I could say I knew him when! But then I thought, no, I haven’t watched one minute of GC since about 1996 so I don’t want to start a bad habit.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: xxxMMMooo ( )
Date: April 01, 2017 06:55AM

And the whole clan shops at Henrickson's Home Plus!

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: April 01, 2017 12:16PM

Except for Nicky. She maxes out her credit cards online.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 01, 2017 07:53AM

That may be where I parked last May when visiting the Family History Center downtown SLC. I went through the hotel lobby to get to the History center. Parking was free that day (a rare gift to the tourists!)

Although it wasn't as much for the tourists I found out later, but was due to some convention of sorts held by the church that day. Okay with me. Free is free. :)

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: April 01, 2017 01:47PM

Pretty people seem to get along further in this life. Appearances are all that matter in YSA wards. They have a leg up which seems to propel them further in making competitive decisions. Perhaps they have less things to be depressed about and don't get side tracked or start on lower socio-economic tracks like minorities or immigrants might?

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 01, 2017 02:26PM

Appearances are deceptive, poopstone.

True though in the single adult wards, there was that emphasis. I don't miss that environ one bit. Thank God those days are over.

Superficial people to go with a pseudo religion.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 01, 2017 05:25PM

I never drive to downtown (or uptown as we called it when I was a kid) Salt Lake. I take the trolley.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: April 01, 2017 06:30PM

You're a very smart person. Parking in downtown SLC is just the worst. It's very expensive, although we offer $5.00 parking for the Jazz games and some other promotions, like Abravanel Hall.

My daughter brought her kids to the Discovery Children's Museum (at the Gateway Mall) on Wednesday this week and I met them for lunch afterwards. We planned on eating there but most of the food places are closed now, sadly. They are remodeling the food court to be open soon.

We decided to take Trax over to City Creek (I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself) and in that part of town, it's free. The kids love riding it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.