Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: April 02, 2017 03:15AM

This is totally O/T - but I love this community because it has become an extended family over the years for me.

Hacking felt like a vicious violation - not as violent as rape, of course, but a violation nonetheless, and I feel less trusting. It hurts. My sweet DH had his "old" computer refurbished for me. It's a laptop rather than a desktop, and feels like having my shoes on the wrong feet, in a way.

The "brain" part of my regular computer is supposed to be back on Sunday, so I probably won't have to use this loaner much, although it is a blessing to have it.

I've never been the victim of a violent crime (I was threatened once but I carry concealed and that backed off the troublemaker in a hurry) and of course, hacking is not violent, but it makes you feel like the human race is less trustworthy, and I don't like that feeling.

I'm pushing 70 and have no illusions about the ubiquitousness of the scumbag population, but I haven't had much interaction with most of them, so I guess it hurts more when you have little or no expectation of "violation."

I guess I just needed to cry on your collective shoulders.

I know more now about hacking than I ever wanted to. I would have preferred to remain innocent.

Thanks for being there.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: April 02, 2017 04:50AM

Nice to see you again, catnip! I'm sorry you had to go through that mess.

Posted by: elfling_notloggedin ( )
Date: April 02, 2017 07:53AM

ransomeware?

identity theft?

I'm sorry you had to go through this, but you're experience will make you safer now. Especially, if you can also guard your privacy as well as know what to watch for with phishing and security patching.

Most people think 'I have nothing to hide' so they don't understand that that doesn't matter to an attacker.

Glad you're back.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 02, 2017 08:13AM

Posted by: edzachery ( )
Date: April 02, 2017 08:40AM

Welcome back, catnip! Sorry you've had to go through the hacking thing. Very anxious to hear more from you in the near future!!
-edz

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 02, 2017 08:42AM

Glad to know you're alright.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: April 03, 2017 06:38PM

I am using a refurbished loaner (old, but in good condition) from my DH just now, but ought to have my "real" desktop back tomorrow. The de-bugging people told my DH that it had not one, but THREE nasty viruses (virii??) in it, a very ugly infection.

The debugging people also suggested that we change our phone numbers too - home and cells - which has been a MAJOR pain. I can remember my new cell number with great effort, but my new home landline number is just a mess. DH's cell and our home number are programmed into my cell, so hopefully, that will do. We have had the same phone number (home) for more than 20 years, so having to learn a new one is causing great anguish in the neural grooves.

But, live, learn, and try to remember that some people cannot be trusted. . .

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 03, 2017 06:49PM

I'm sorry, Catnip. That sounds like such a pain to have to deal with. I've gotten viruses at times and it always does feel like a violation.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: April 03, 2017 07:39PM

the last virus I got was what's called the thor virus. It's where people in India (or some other smart alec place) override your hard drive and encrypt your files one by one. Then later after a few weeks they demand ransom money to restore your old files. It can be infuriating when this happens. precautions include not opening any emails from unknown persons, don't download or save any strange files.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: April 03, 2017 08:21PM

Hey girl...welcome back.

Grab a seat. <passes popcorn>

;o)

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 03, 2017 08:33PM

First thing to install on the new computer:
A good anti-virus.

I like the free version of AVG. Do a google search.
It costs nothing, it works as well as the ones you pay ridiculous amounts of money for, and the only downside is an occasional plea from the company to upgrade to the paid version (about once every 3 months). I've been using it for 11 years -- never been infected once.

Glad you're back, and so sorry you had to go through this!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.