Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sharapata ( )
Date: April 03, 2017 06:40PM

http://idahostatejournal.com/news/local/historic-day-for-pocatello-lds-temple-will-be-built-in/article_ab5c4ec0-9dfa-511c-94e4-a1378da86274.html

This is one I haven't heard before. The Pocatello Mayor is TBM and subscribes to a theory that having an LDS temple in town lessens the severity of economic recessions. Hmmmm... I'd have to think about this one.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: April 03, 2017 06:46PM

Maybe he hasn't been to the Pine Ridge Mall in Pocatello!?? It's a ghost town with lots of empty/ vacant spaces!

Date: April 03, 2017 06:50PM

And apparently, the mayor is completely unaware of the absolute dire economic implosion in Venezuela, and its capital and largest city of Caracas just so happens to have an LDS temple.

Posted by: J. M. Keynes ( )
Date: April 03, 2017 09:39PM

Riiight. The economies of Idaho and Venezuela are soooo similar, sharapata. You've so totally owned the mayor of Pocatello with your brilliant observation....

You went to school on the short bus, right? If not, what could possibly explain your posting such preposterous nonsense?

Date: April 03, 2017 09:59PM

The only preposterous nonsense is you apparently agreeing with the preposterous theory of the Mayor that having a Mormon temple is actually going to provide any economic protection to Pocatello. Now please explain to me how the Caracas temple is protecting Venezuela?

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: April 03, 2017 11:02PM

So as a TBM I guess he's excited, but he cited 3 cities and all of them have different demographics and economies. Salt Lake City is not even majority Mormon anymore, though obviously it has more of an LDS tourist draw having the corporate headquarters, conference center, etc. With 5 other temples in Idaho its hard to believe it will be a major draw from outside the immediate area; and further, the secondary effect of the 10% tithing to keep up local members current with their the temple recommend will suck funds from Pocatello LDS members and go mostly to Church Co headquarters in Utah.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: April 04, 2017 11:49AM

Well, you know, brown people, so of course they have problems. It's that curse of the Lamanites, thing proving the church is true.

(sarcasm)

Posted by: Drew90 ( )
Date: April 03, 2017 06:49PM

It could be true for restaurants and hotels in the city. People travel there and stay the night or go to a restaurant. But most the people going to this one are probably from Pocatello who used to drive to Idaho Falls.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2017 06:52PM by Drew90.

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: April 03, 2017 11:25PM

Right, its 110 miles west to Twin Falls and only 50 miles east to Idaho Falls. No one visiting there is going to be more than an hour from home.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: April 03, 2017 07:23PM

I know down the road a bit as you come over to the Utah side. The Brigham temple has been good for the restaurant economy particularly for the fast food chains (they forgot to put a cafeteria in the temple) Mormons are hungry and Arbys is right there.

Date: April 03, 2017 08:48PM

That's how it is with the Twin Falls Temple. There's a lot of places to eat on Blue Lakes Blvd and Pole Line Road(the road near Magic Valley mall). A favorite place in my ward seems to be Golden Corral.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 03, 2017 08:37PM

Pocatello must be overdue for a temple, eh?

It's only the third largest city in Idaho, behind Idaho Falls and Boise. Boise got its temple in the 1980's.

I'm surprised Twin Falls got one before Pocatello did.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 03, 2017 11:59PM

Twin Falls was 134 miles from the Boise temple. Pocatello was only 46 miles from Idaho Falls. That's likely why TF got a temple first

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: April 04, 2017 06:44PM

I think you will find it is not the third largest Idaho city by population , Pocatello has about 15,000 people...Nampa, for instance, has more than 81,000 and Coeur d'Alene more than 40,000.

Posted by: danr ( )
Date: April 04, 2017 09:10PM

Actually Pocatello has 55,000, with another 14,000 in Chubbuck, which is connected to Pocatello, and where their mall is located.

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: April 04, 2017 09:12PM

That is correct

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: April 03, 2017 08:47PM

I thought the temple was protection against the coming zombie apocalypse. Maybe I'm confusing it with garments.

Date: April 03, 2017 09:03PM

Nooooooo not here this place is hell and a ghost town now I gotta find a new place to live for real it just keeps getting worse. I can't believe they actually did this well they are going to build where ever I go, f*ck it Pocatello is where I make my final stand I guess.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 03, 2017 09:19PM

Is it really a ghost town? It didn't seem that way when visiting there last spring. It has the same urban sprawl that has turned that part of Idaho and Utah into a highway metropolis.

If anything I hate the urban sprawl. All the big box stores, bad drivers on roads where the infrastructure didn't keep up with the population growth like downtown Pokie.

It doesn't look the same as I remember it from my childhood. And yet it does. The same grocery store was there downtown (was it Ralph's?) where my parents went shopping when I was a toddler.

Date: April 03, 2017 10:14PM

Well maybe because I have no friends it feels like a ghost town but I know what you are talking about the main road can get crowded.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 03, 2017 10:27PM

Well, Badass, you've got a friend here, and I'm surrounded by fuckin' Morg temples. After a while, I just started thinking of them as mortuaries--full of dead people--then everything seemed okay.

Date: April 03, 2017 11:14PM

I'll have to start thinking of them that way but I still get pissed when I see a church building though

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 03, 2017 10:25PM

To be fair, the temple will provide some financial benefits, mostly for motels, eateries, and gas stations.

A smart Boner might want to open a food storage outlet, white clothing store, or an ice cream shop in close proximity :)

Posted by: Long time lurker ( )
Date: April 03, 2017 11:16PM

I'm going to go out on a limb here. I'm sure some of you may well disagree with me on this. I grew up in poky and It always seemed to me that pocatello was a little too blue collar to have a temple. The cultural mix has shifted in the last 20 years or so with the railroad and other industries downsizing and the expansion of the hospital and the influx of the call centers and such. That brings people to town that are of a completely different mindset than the former residents who were from single income households and were building a pension (those days are gone for most people now).

I believe that whether they are correct or not the powers that be perceive that they have a better market share in the vicinity than they did in years past.

My mother who still lives there believes that the people of pocatello were not righteous enough in years past to have their own temple but now they are. That's certainly a nice way to spin for the faithful.

Date: April 03, 2017 11:17PM

But I thought we were already in a severe recession maybe even depression the mayor isn't seeing what I am.

Posted by: janis ( )
Date: April 03, 2017 11:17PM

Soooo, he thinks that if all the mormons in town send 10% of their income to another city and state, it will benefit Pocatello?

I'm not sure how to do that kind of math.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: April 04, 2017 11:08AM

What will save people from Pocatello is for everybody to find themselves a new town to live in.

Date: April 04, 2017 12:20PM

I'm all ears cludgie I'm ready to move where is a good place to live outside of Idaho

Date: April 04, 2017 01:43PM

Anywhere in Oregon or Washington. If you really like snow, Minnesota. Otherwise, get thee to Canada.

Date: April 04, 2017 02:12PM

After last winter I f#ckin hate the snow now but Oregon has crossed my mind in the past and I used to think about Washington but I imagine it being overcast all the time there and I don't think I'd like that. Sooo maybe Oregon is the place.

Date: April 10, 2017 08:00AM

Washington, Oregon, and northern California are divided east-west by the Cascades. The western side (left of mountains) is the rainy, drizzly side, but is lush and beautiful. The eastern sides are dry prairie, sage desert, and high desert. It has its own kind of beauty, but is not wet and green. It's a mistake to assume it is all rainy in Washington or Oregon. Two-thirds of each state is arid.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: April 10, 2017 07:16PM

Another place you might consider is Reno. It's not an expensive place to live and has 4 seasons. It doesn't snow too much because the Sierra Nevada gets most of the snow before it reaches Reno. And BONUS! Not many mormons.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: April 04, 2017 02:01PM

All I can say is that the guy has lived a very dull life if THAT is the hardest secret he's ever had to keep.

Date: April 04, 2017 02:23PM

Its Pocatello its the dullest town you will ever find, I was actually told that I was a not boring person cause I'm not from around here and I'm nothing special back in Arizona its pretty sad.

Date: April 04, 2017 09:06PM

I'll be the mayor of this town the guy looks like a fruit cake I could win in a race.

Date: April 10, 2017 03:18PM

Here's a link to the ghost town mall!! You have to look at the map!!

http://www.pineridgemall.com/

http://www.pineridgemall.com/directory/

Posted by: Topped ( )
Date: April 10, 2017 06:48PM

Posted by: nevermo4 ( )
Date: April 10, 2017 07:20PM

Anyone else see the irony...
That 10% tithing alone could be enough to send some over the bread line.

Oh yes the temple prevents 'recession'...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.