Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: C ( )
Date: April 03, 2017 07:27PM

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-03-28/how-utah-keeps-the-american-dream-alive

The article suggests it could have something to do with the church welfare system reducing poverty. It could also be partially due to Utah's lack of racial diversity- white people experience more upward mobility on average than blacks and Latinos.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: April 03, 2017 07:39PM

"The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

Posted by: * ( )
Date: April 05, 2017 02:03AM

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: April 03, 2017 07:54PM

Among the reasons (and don't get mad at me, it's straight from the article), "compassionate conservatism" the article notes. Anywhere where there are a lot of "stick it to the man" special snowflake Democrats there is going to be a lot of poverty. Just look at LA?

Refusal to pay a lot for education. pack them in, teach them cheap. Sounds fine to me. (No one learns much in school anyway)

<<When the poor people are, by and large, the same race as the
<<richer ones, people find it easier to talk about them the way
<<they might talk about, well, family members 

Very true point, only 1% of Utah is black and that makes all the difference! If you want to see a contrast just go to Vegas, now that's a scary city with lots of poverty and a culture of crime. Mixed in extreme luxury, Lots of police, lots of beggars, lots of diversity. Much scarier than salt lake in my opinion.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: April 05, 2017 05:36AM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 05, 2017 05:42AM

>>Anywhere where there are a lot of "stick it to the man" special snowflake Democrats there is going to be a lot of poverty. Just look at LA?

Last I checked, Los Angeles is a part of California, which has the largest economy in the United States. If California were a country, it would have the 8th largest economy in the world, larger than Italy and larger than Russia. I would call that prosperous.

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: April 05, 2017 10:58AM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Last I checked, Los Angeles is a part of
> California, which has the largest economy in the
> United States. If California were a country, it
> would have the 8th largest economy in the world,
> larger than Italy and larger than Russia. I would
> call that prosperous.

The size of the economy is a different measure from the actual poverty rate. Adjusted for cost of living, California has the nation's highest poverty rate. Here's a report from a couple months ago:

http://www.politifact.com/california/statements/2017/jan/20/chad-mayes/true-california-has-nations-highest-poverty-rate-w/

And it looks like it's been bringing up the rear for quite some time. Here's a HuffPo article from 2013 showing the 2010 census confirmed the same thing at that time:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/07/california-highest-rate-of-poverty_n_4233292.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2017 11:05AM by Tall Man, Short Hair.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 05, 2017 12:35PM

California is one of the most expensive states on the map, among one of the highest taxed states in the nation.

Salt Lake City has a higher than average crime rate. Not sure where poopstone gets its safer by virtue of its homogenous population.

Didn't gangs move there from LA and elsewhere in California? At one time they were invading Utah and Idaho. Are they still?

Utah's housing costs are through the roof for anyone starting out. I don't see how anyone making the wages people earn there afford the housing prices, period.

Posted by: C ( )
Date: April 05, 2017 02:28PM

I'm surprised the article focused so much on Salt Lake City. When I lived there I noticed a lot of white trash, homeless, and beggars in certain areas. Drugs are sold on the street and there is some gang activity. So I saw a lot of evidence of a lack of upward mobility. But I imagine that the city would compare very favorably to cities like Chicago.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: April 05, 2017 03:23PM

Ughh...I hate articles like this. It just feeds the arrogant Mormon mindset.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.