Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: April 03, 2017 08:43PM

Were any of you taught that Joseph Smith and Brigham Young were "pure" in the sense that supposedly all their ancestors were Ephraimites and there wasn't one drop of gentile blood? I seem to remember being taught this as a kid in Seminary, or was led to believe it?

Of course with the ready available genealogy and computers now of course we know that people from Great Britain are a mixture of Italians, Germans, Trojans, Spaniards, Romans, Jews, Celtics, and of course Vikings. Hardly a pure race, the English are a mutt race if you ask me...

Some of the patriaricle blessings of my pioneer ancestors (from John Smith) say they were "pure" Ephramites (And they were all British). Anyone else have the "pure" Ephramite distinction?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: April 03, 2017 08:56PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribe_of_Ephraim#Destiny

And there is only one race. The human race.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: November 04, 2017 03:09PM

Thank you Anybody...

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 03, 2017 09:05PM

It's a fiction.
Since "Ephraim" very probably never existed.

And we're all "mutts," all being the same race (human).

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: April 03, 2017 09:12PM

...Zimbalist Jr.?

(Yeah, yeah, I know...different spelling...but it's a frikkin' JOKE!!) Plus, his daughter was smokin' hot. :-)

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 03, 2017 09:22PM

I'm old enough to get that joke :)

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 03, 2017 10:29PM

The way we wish the FBI truly was/is/should be.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 03, 2017 10:37PM

Efrem Zimbalist, Sr. was a world-renowned violinist. Now how's that for being an old fart?

Date: November 03, 2017 10:17PM

BYU Boner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Efrem Zimbalist, Sr. was a world-renowned
> violinist. Now how's that for being an old fart?

A CULTURED old fart!

Posted by: Deezus ( )
Date: November 03, 2017 09:53PM

Guys there are different races inside "the human race" which refers to humans as a species. For example African Americans are not Asians and Asians aren't American. That is just the way the world works anyone who says otherwise never learned anything about biology.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: November 03, 2017 10:25PM

Since when was "American" a race"?
And what is the American race? White European? Native American?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 03, 2017 10:29PM

Interesting, and desperate, attempt to prop up a fragile ego.

Gotta have someone upon whom you can look down?

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: April 03, 2017 09:21PM

It's a mysterious substance that takes away the superpowers of anyone from the planet Ephraim.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: April 03, 2017 09:56PM

A figment of imagination.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: April 03, 2017 10:00PM

Pure horsesh!t

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 03, 2017 10:32PM

Well, take a nuclear reactor and add one part Noiley Pratt vermouth, three parts Beefeater gin, two olives, and blast off for the perfect Emphramite.

Date: April 03, 2017 10:36PM

Sen. Mitch McConnell might be wanting that recipe this week!

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: April 04, 2017 06:31AM

the white ribbon -- oldest trick in the book

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_White_Ribbon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2017 06:32AM by anybody.

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: April 04, 2017 08:34AM

Date: April 04, 2017 08:38AM

One thing I find interesting is that in the coat of the royalty of Britain there is the unicorn and the lion. The lion is suppose to represent the lion of Judah from which the queen and of course England are suppose to have descended from.

You would think more Mormons would be saying they are Jews? but there seems to be almost a distancing away or shaming of that. But White Supremacy sentiments were alive and strong through the WW2 years and before.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: April 04, 2017 10:02AM

When you think about it, there's no such thing as "pure" any lineage. We're all "mutts", and I think that's great. My PB said "Ephraim" and then looking at my families' genealogy, the lines go back to Judah. Whoops! There's an Eastern Woodlands Indian tribe through my mom's side that I didn't know about until lately because of a relative who seems to be ashamed of that fact, and goes into the information and changes it to someone entirely different. It's interesting to look at it every so often, because a different person goes in and changes it back to the Indian lineage. Go figure.

Date: April 04, 2017 11:29AM

I consider myself a "Mongrel-American."

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: April 04, 2017 12:06PM

I'd forgotten that about JS and BY. Mine doesn't say pure, but it does say:

"You are descended from Ephraim and the great household of Israel. You are a descendant of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. That noble blood runs through your veins literally, for you are a child of the seed as well as by an adoption because of your relationship to the Gentile nations"

I find that paragraph so mormon. Everything is both ways. You are "literally ephraim" except not because "gentiles, must be adopted".

Date: April 05, 2017 01:09AM

hmm I wonder which nations are Gentile nations? Just a gander but maybe all of them? The patriarch didn't narrow much down on that statement...

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: April 04, 2017 03:02PM

Even if you are a descendant of Ephraim, you should know that Ephraim himself was not "pure" anything. According to Genesis, he was the offspring of Joseph (son of Jacob) and Asenath, the Egyptian daughter of Potipherah, a "priest of On." (Gen 41:45-52). Thus, he was only 50% of the house of Israel.

Now, since Egyptians were descended from "Pharaoh," who was descended from Ham (Abr 1:21-225), neither they nor their descendants were eligible for the priesthood.

Until 1978, of course.

Date: April 05, 2017 01:07AM

Well put, well put, the logic hits a dead end pretty quick.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: April 05, 2017 01:15AM

"Pure Ephraimite" means they are purely descended from Ephraim
who was the son of Joseph and his Egyptian wife, Asenath. That
means they were of the tainted lineage that couldn't hold the
priesthood until 1978, because of the "one drop disqualifies"
doctrine.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 03, 2017 10:06PM

A participation trophy. Nothing more.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 03, 2017 11:35PM

I'm wondering when the jews got to be their own race.
And what about mexicans ? Repubs speak of them like they are somehow different.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: November 04, 2017 01:28PM

My TBM father had 6 TBM brothers, who all went on missions. In their patriarchal blessings, all of them were declared to be "from the tribe of Ephraim," except for one brother, who was "from the tribe of Manassa." I would always ask Daddy how Uncle Ned could be everyone's full brother, with the same parents and lineage, yet the patriarch declared him to be from another tribe. Something was screwy. I think my parents thought it was all a hoax, too. I never was encouraged to get my patriarchal blessing, so I didn't.

But my father's TBM family was convinced "the church is true" when Uncle Ned divorced his wife and left the cult. The "prophesy" was fulfilled! My other uncle said Uncle Ned was from Manassa in the Spirit World!

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: November 04, 2017 01:32PM

BTW, Mormons were supposed to not let anyone else see their patriarchal blessing. These were top-secret. After I left the cult, I read other people's patriarchal blessings, and they were all alike! It was generic, and not special or inspired at all. Just like everything else in the cult.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: November 05, 2017 07:49AM

When it's special and sacred, you know it's just for you. When it's open and generic, you realize it's all a silly game.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 04, 2017 02:21PM

An Ephraimite must be white. It's Mormons' way of saying Aryan. He or she is invited into and adopted by the House of Israel. The best part of that is that they are adopted, but don't have to be part of the wicked Jews, who wallow in disbelief. Fortunately, Mormons know more about Jews than even Jews themselves, so they can say things like, "Mormons and Jews are so much alike!" And, "Jews love the Mormons because we believe so many of the same things!" And "We keep Seder, only ours is more like the original Seder than in a Jewish household, and our chicken dish and Jell-O mould are great!"

Posted by: spintobear ( )
Date: November 04, 2017 10:15PM

I grew up, left and returned to a little town called Ephraim. I suppose I am a pure Ephraimite as well as what my PB said.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: November 05, 2017 07:47AM

If you are English, you are a mixture of these tribes:

The Celts, who were there when they met the Romans

The Romans, who ruled and settled Britain for 500 years

Germanic tribes of Anglos, Saxons and Jutes. The Anglo-Saxons were from N. Germany and Jutland is the peninsular part of Denmark.

Viking invaders who settled the Danelaw from Denmark and Norway

The French who came over with William the Conqueror from Normandy. Many of them were descended from the Norsemen (Vikings), who settled there from Scandinavia in prior centuries.

Various immigrants throughout the centuries.

So, JS is likely a mixture of Celts, Italians, Germans, Scandinavians, and French.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2017 07:47AM by axeldc.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: November 05, 2017 06:13PM

Hey poopstone, if you're lurking around these parts, give a shout out will ya?

Miss reading your posts.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.