Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: April 04, 2017 10:39AM

New temple announcement: Nairobi, Kenya.

I am always uneasy about these guilded Masonic playhouses being announced in places where there is so much need, so much poverty. And I know there are several in, under construction in, or announced to be in Africa. But this one is really really disturbing. Kenya (and the other East Africa countries it's supposed to serve). 2017. Drought. Death. Child starvation.

And what is the corporation of Tommy offering? A place where if you give us 10% of the nickel you earned last week burying dead cattle to try to stave off disease, we will let you come in and drink from our water fountain. You can even get a bath on the backs of our beautiful marble cattle.

The leadership... oops, I mean Board of Directors of LDS, Inc. are horrible HORRIBLE disgusting greedy pigs. And yes, Ms. Wells, you can tell the whole family I said so.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: April 04, 2017 10:40AM

Yes.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: April 04, 2017 10:43AM

Mee too.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: April 04, 2017 10:45AM

I think saying they are "horrible HORRIBLE disgusting greedy pigs" is going a little light on them, but YES. Couldn't agree more.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: April 04, 2017 10:48AM

The church offers poor people hope, which is intangible.

And then takes their meager money, which is tangible.

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: April 04, 2017 12:11PM

Funny how it works out that way

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: April 04, 2017 10:49AM

Here in Utah we are going through a bit of an identity crisis. This largely Mormon population has refused to help the poor and needy for years and now it is boiling over. Just last week there was one city that offered land and resources to a new homeless center only to be berated and threatened until they backed down. Now as if to hammer the point home, that Utah is not a place of compassion, the LDS church has decided to build another temple.

In Utah those who try to do right by their fellow man are constantly betrayed by their religion and religious leaders.

So yes, it is disturbing, but not just the Kenya temple, the whole attitude.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 04, 2017 11:30AM

Sure, but if you join the church, and still pay all your tithing, you can get a few cans of food from the church.

See? You don't have to worry about the poor! Just have 'em all join the church and pay their 10%! Then everybody will be fed!

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: April 05, 2017 09:58PM

Saw a great meme the other day - upper part was an image from the public meeting about the homeless shelter showing protesters shouting down a homeless man, bottom part was picture of a McTemple. Text said, "Utahns Protest Homeless Shelter, Cheer Expensive Temple.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: April 04, 2017 10:53AM

Yeah, likewise. They either have built a temple or intend to build one in Kinshasa, but the architectural drawings indicate that it is/was really stripped down and ugly, and didn't even have a Boloni on top. Maybe Kenya's will be more like that. For one thing, rather than bringing in tithing, Central African members actually cost tithing, and most of the people who show up at church only come to charge their cell phones--the big draw of Mormon churches in Central Africa. So I don't think that Monson Corp. like spending all that much money on these people who are still viewed by the church as "indolent."

See pic: http://www.blacklds.org/917/917/kinshasa-lds-temple

Date: April 04, 2017 11:06AM

As always, with ANYTHING the corp does, to understand it you just follow the money. I agree that the African temples don't bring in enough local money to pay for themselves. Everything they do is mostly geared to the White, North American, BIC, missionary producing, educated, well employed, fully brainwashed, tithers.

They need to believe they are giving to help the stone roll forth. They need to believe that sending their kids on missions is bringing in lost sheep from the four corners of the Earth. They don't want to know that the push for missionaries is to help tie these young North Americans to the organization so they can go on to produce more White, North Americans, educated, well employed, fully brainwashed tithers.

And in the meantime, they never stop to think whether Christ would go to Kenya and say, "on this spot we will build a temple," before he would say "bring all your resources and we will give them food and drink."

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: April 04, 2017 11:28AM

Obviously it won't be like a US temple. That would be like leaving a Mercedes in a really bad part of LA or NYC overnight.

It seems Africa is the last refuge of missionaries. In other places, they have a chance of being taught by knowledgeable gentiles and deconverted.

I think, however, it's purely a political move. They're trying to say "look, we're not prejudiced". It's more for retention of their US black members, who actually do have money.

Posted by: Shinehahbeam ( )
Date: April 04, 2017 11:52AM

It's worse than just taking 10% from people that have little. I was recently talking to a TBM that just returned from Nigeria. He said the temple has housing for members that travel from far away. The temple is busy and this housing is booked out more than a year in advance. There are many people that save for years to make the trip to the temple, do their own endowment, and work in the temple for a few days or a week. TBMs look at this, and hear stories about members like this in other areas, and think it's amazing what great faith they have. They sacrifice everything to attend the temple, and this motivates members in Utah to sacrifice a couple hours now and then. Step back and realize that the temple "endowment" is all BS, and you quickly realize that this is truly disgusting. TSCC is encouraging these people to give up their life savings to go play dress-up and learn some stupid f*%#ing handshakes. I hope there's a hell, 'cause there's a special place there for those responsible for this.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: April 04, 2017 12:13PM

Think of it as a trip to Disneyland. People are perfectly welcome to pay big bucks to spend 80% of their time standing in line for rides. Okay, no amusement park in the world charges 10% of your income. But it's their pilgrimage.

Posted by: raiku ( )
Date: April 05, 2017 08:04PM

The worst thieves are those who scam the poor and sick.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 04, 2017 12:25PM

Many of Kenyans aren't as educated as Americans. What they haven't picked up yet from the Internet, serves the church coffers well.

Compare to the decline of cigarette sales in America. Now instead tobacco companies market them more diligently to SE Asian countries, such as China. Where a spike in cigarette smoking since tobacco advertising bans here has spiked an upward trend in lung cancer and tobacco related deaths in China that was heretofore unbeknownst to them.

What they don't know is their downfall.

Same logic applies to Kenyans and Mormonism. Decisions made at the corporate level at LDS Inc will never see the light of day to the minions. Like one old boyfriend used to tell me who worked for the Nabisco giant who bought out Phillip Morris, those guys live by the Code of Omerta silence.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: April 04, 2017 12:31PM

Yes, this bothers me too.

I think of the same amount of money and effort going into providing essential nutrition for pregnant women and children, and into measures to provide safe water and the most basic of medical needs (such as inoculations), and I feel tremendous sadness.

The costs of a temple, spent to actually HELP people, could transform every aspect of life for entire huge sections of countries.

Instead, countless children suffer and die, and countless adults suffer and die, and all LDS ChurchCorp cares about is more money to the corporation, and "pretty."

Do they even SEE the endless numbers of kids who are literally (and VISIBLY) starving to death???

Or dying from countless horrible things (including parasites) that should have been eradicated, and COULD have been eradicated, decades or centuries ago???

Do they not feel the suffering all around, even when they are LOOKING at it???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2017 03:31PM by Tevai.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 05, 2017 08:38PM

Thanks, Tevai, for stating this so eloquently.

Posted by: esias ( )
Date: April 04, 2017 12:45PM

Yes, well said. The African corporate temple plan is nasty greedy nasty. How low can they go? Damn them.

esias

Date: April 04, 2017 01:50PM

Well, I read recently that the DRC is the world's poorest country, so I guess they could still go lower and build one there.

Oh wait, Cludgie said they have one scheduled for Kinshasa. There ya go.

Posted by: Visitors Welcome ( )
Date: April 04, 2017 01:55PM

NormaRae Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> New temple announcement: Nairobi, Kenya.
>
> I am always uneasy about these guilded Masonic
> playhouses being announced in places where there
> is so much need, so much poverty. And I know there
> are several in, under construction in, or
> announced to be in Africa. But this one is really
> really disturbing. Kenya (and the other East
> Africa countries it's supposed to serve). 2017.
> Drought. Death. Child starvation.

Nairobi is the richest city in the richest country in East Africa, and East Africa is huge. Heck, Kenya is the richest country from Egypt down to South Africa.

Would you be opposed to a temple in Orange county because of the poverty in Appalachia? Because I assure you that upper class people in Nairobi feel equally far removed from Somalia.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: April 04, 2017 02:49PM

Visitors Welcome Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nairobi is the richest city in the richest country
> in East Africa, and East Africa is huge. Heck,
> Kenya is the richest country from Egypt down to
> South Africa.

This is a singular [and most unexpected] perspective, since in Western culture we are literally raised and educated to be acutely sensitive to Marie Antoinette's [purported] words to "...let them eat cake" when the starving people of France were demanding survival: enough food and other necessities of life for themselves and for their children to live normal, and at least minimally adequate, lives.

The starving peasants of Europe, DESPITE the undisputed and multiple grandeurs of Rome and Paris and London (and probably Dublin and Berlin, as well), are the bulk of our American European ancestors, but---as the lower and working classes---they had to leave those "grandeurs" and come HERE in order to survive and to live decent lives themselves...and for their children and grandchildren (etc.) in the centuries to come.

What I THINK you are saying here is: the existence of the splendors at the palace at Versailles renders the injustices foisted on the [non-wealthy] to be just fine...

...because, if you, as one of the most privileged persons on the planet, do not want to touch or smell or "see" or think about the starving, smelling, unwashed, dying, and visually distasteful "peasants," then distract yourself from these unpleasantnesses by visualizing instead the many glories of Versailles, and all else will be well.

> Would you be opposed to a temple in Orange county
> because of the poverty in Appalachia? Because I
> assure you that UPPER CLASS PEOPLE IN NAIROBI feel
> equally far removed from Somalia. [emphasis added]

This is the whole point of this discussion, isn't it? You are saying that the self-interests (and feelings) of ONLY the "upper class people in Nairobi" COUNT. That if all is "well" with THEM, then all SHOULD BE right with EVERYONE ELSE (regardless if they are barely hanging on to life because they don't have adequate food, safe water, any kind of toilet facilities, adequate shelter, or ANY medical care), because the "upper class in Nairobi" is comfortable, secure, well-fed, well-hydrated, healthy, and wealthy, and so all SHOULD BE right in all of the Kenyan world, and WE shouldn't worry our "pretty little heads" about non-upper-class Kenyans, right?, because (as non-upper-class people) they aren't worthy enough to either worry about, or for us (or any of us) to work to end their present multiplicity of never-ending miseries.

That temple in Orange County, had it never been built and had the funds which DID build it gone to Appalachia and been used for nutritional food support, basic medical care, maternal and infant support, educational support for local schools, the institution of some well-thought-out volunteer programs, and some practical fix-it jobs to roofs, walls, floors and floor supports, plumbing, heating of some kind, and needed retrofitting (like insulation in the walls), would have resulted in lives improved, and literally SAVED, for generations to come.

Do you think the Orange County temple is more important than actual, trying-to-survive and live minimally decent lives, people in Appalachia?

Do you think the Orange County temple is a higher human OR spiritual priority than repairing human suffering, and sharing with our fellow citizens the accepted minimums of decent American life?

I don't.

If you DO, you and I are very different kinds of human beings...and very different kinds of Americans (I am assuming that you are an American) as well.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2017 03:05PM by Tevai.

Date: April 05, 2017 10:01AM

Well, to honestly answer your question, yes. I AM opposed to a temple in Orange County when there's so much poverty in Appalachia. I am completely opposed to an organization masquerading as a church, let alone a church claiming the name of Jesus Christ, spending millions on a worthless structure that does nothing to help anyone, instead of spending money to minister to the children of God.

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: April 04, 2017 02:19PM

I still can't believe they put one in Tijuana or are threatening to build one in Haiti.

Posted by: others ( )
Date: April 04, 2017 02:25PM

It is not just the LDS and their temples that I see as misplaced wealth.

When I look at the wealth and trappings concentrated in the Vatican....

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: April 05, 2017 10:25AM

I draw one distinction. The display of wealth in the form of buildings and art in the Vatican is not new. I don't see new cathedrals being built everywhere. But TSCC is building new temples when the scriptures in the OT were for a single temple and in the NT our bodies are spiritual temples. The multitude of mormon temples is anathema.

Posted by: southbound ( )
Date: April 04, 2017 04:59PM

As always, it is about image and public perception. Reality has no place in the church.

Posted by: raiku ( )
Date: April 05, 2017 08:00PM

This is one of the things that actually got through the brainwashing as a Mormon. I was always bothered that we spent so much time and money on temples when we could be helping the poor instead.

You know, like a lot of religions and charities do.

How were we "the true church" when we were generally encouraged to spend more time visiting the temple and doing "work for the dead" than visiting the poor?

It's not like members have endless free time. If you get them to go to the temple for a day every month, you took away time they could have spent doing something helpful for other people.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: April 06, 2017 04:05AM

MormonCult&Co. here again is showing there contempt of culture in another world location. Very seldom does the church display real understanding and pride of other cultures or empathy for the needs of the people.

The cult "does" church the same all over the world.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.