Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Inky ( )
Date: April 05, 2017 02:27AM

I want him to live another ten years or more but live in a state of blissful, elderly stupor. I want him to have to have round-the-clock assistance and to have to be fed and changed and bathed. Not because I like the idea of him suffering, I honestly could not care less about him, but because I want TSCC to have to continue to call him their, "living prophet" even though he will cease to have any part in the management of the organisation.

Imagine what would happen then. Children will never see this so-called prophet. He will become an abstract concept to them. They will chant, "follow the prophet" and "we thank thee o god for a prophet" until it becomes too uncomfortable to do so and those songs drop from the regular rotation of brain-washing chants. Perhaps "prophet" will begin to take on the meaning of any GA. Perhaps they will say it always had this meaning- nothing has changed. Perhaps fractures will appear as the other top 14 begin a power struggle. Perhaps TBMs will be told that it is a test of their faith. Perhaps many will start to ask why God would allow his "mouth-piece" to become nothing but a blithering diaper-wearing mound of jelly. Just perhaps...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: paisley70 ( )
Date: April 05, 2017 03:43AM

They'll just poison him if he lives too long. Just like Joseph Smith and his comrades did in Nauvoo. So many friend/foe relationships back then. Backbiting galore. It could happen again. Would they really announce it to the world if he was poisoned in the end? And Nelson had done it? Bahaha!

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: April 05, 2017 07:11AM

Steve Benson watched this w/his grandfather and regardless on how you feel about mormons, it was painful to watch. Like I've told other mormons...I doubt he WANTED that talk or even be at GC. He was required to do so...to show the faithful that...see we DO still have a prophet.

For those who are LDS, Let him live out his life in peace...then recognize what all he as already done for the church and its members and let him live out his remaining days in peace and pass the torch to someone else.. It's called respect

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: April 05, 2017 07:58AM

nonmo_1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> For those who are LDS, Let him live out his life
> in peace...then recognize what all he as already
> done for the church and its members...

I'm curious, nonmo, what you think LDS "prophets" "do FOR the church and its members..."

As best I can tell, in reality they just live off the members, direct where the members' money will be spent, and pretend to speak to the members on behalf of deity.

To me that's hardly doing something FOR a group of people.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: April 05, 2017 07:24PM

"I'm curious, nonmo, what you think LDS "prophets" "do FOR the church and its members...""

No argument from me but the faithful like to THINK that he does something for the members. If they think that (like they spout off about..) then let the man live the rest of his days and then die in peace..

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 05, 2017 09:14AM

The OP's thought -- that if he lives long enough without visibly doing anything, and that the members will eventually realize what a sham the "prophet" is -- is a nice one.
I just don't think it's realistic.

It's happened several times before. Benson, McKay, more. Didn't matter.

Mormons love the *idea* of a "living prophet." They're already divorced from reality, and the further reality of a diaper-wearing, incoherent old man being the "living prophet" doesn't matter to them. It's the idea they were taught to worship. It doesn't matter who's in the chair, or how coherent he is...the idea remains to be worshiped. They'll ignore the person in the chair until he's dead, then fawn all over whoever comes next to sit there.

Posted by: xxxMMMooo ( )
Date: April 05, 2017 09:20AM

Maybe eventually they'll wise up and do what Benedict in the Catholic church did, create a "prophet emeritus" or something and let the next in line take over. The sheeple will believe whatever rationalization they are fed to justify it.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: April 05, 2017 10:29AM

I'm with you. But mostly I want to see him live in his feeble state at least one day longer than Russ Nelson. I just want to see the office of first lady denied the self-righteous, candyass Wendy Watson Nelson.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: April 05, 2017 01:57PM

We need that "like" button!

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: April 05, 2017 03:05PM

NormaRae Wrote:
> I'm with you. But mostly I want to see him live in
> his feeble state at least one day longer than Russ
> Nelson. I just want to see the office of first
> lady denied the self-righteous, candyass Wendy
> Watson Nelson.

For those of us unfamiliar with her, to those who do, please do tell.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: April 05, 2017 11:28AM

I remember when Benson was in the state that you wish for Monson. There was so much talk about how church members were really the cause of it.

It was said that Benson's health would improve if church members would just follow his prior teachings. There was no new revelation from Benson because members were sinning and not following past teachings...mostly to read the B of M. Once we all committed to repent and change our ways, Benson would reveal more to the membership or he would even be allowed to die and we would get a new prophet who could guide us, but only when we deserved it.

I remember feeling guilty all the time about this. Benson was suffering because I was a sinner who didn't like to read scriptures.

Posted by: a new name ( )
Date: April 05, 2017 12:49PM

When I was growing up, we had one prophet. Then around the time ETB became infirm, and people started realizing he was in no shape to run the church, the church started to emphasize that the Q12 were also Prophets/Seers/Revelators. As a youth we NEVER called the apostles "prophets" like we do today. It is a modern take to keep the faithful placated.

Posted by: merryprankster123 ( )
Date: April 05, 2017 03:10PM

Actually, this has been going on a lot longer at least back to David O. McKay. It also happened with Spencer Kimball.

Posted by: texsaw ( )
Date: April 05, 2017 01:03PM

Wanna bet TSCC uses Monson's illness to raise some money?

Posted by: canary21 ( )
Date: April 05, 2017 03:09PM

Inky Wrote:
> I want him to live another ten years or more but
> live in a state of blissful, elderly stupor. I
> want him to have to have round-the-clock
> assistance and to have to be fed and changed and
> bathed. Not because I like the idea of him
> suffering, I honestly could not care less about
> him, but because I want TSCC to have to continue
> to call him their, "living prophet" even though he
> will cease to have any part in the management of
> the organisation.

I'll add to that and say I would like to see TSM addressing the conference in breathing tubes and an oxygen tank. Maybe a cane, too.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: April 05, 2017 07:29PM

Anyone see the movie "El Cid"?

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: April 06, 2017 12:36AM

I read he died today. I hear you shouldn't believe everything you read on the innertube.

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: April 06, 2017 01:54AM

I honestly don't want any family members to loose their loved ones. when Monson dies, I will sincerely feel sorry for him, he might have a bad time in the afterlife, he will reap what he sowed. There are and have been humans way worse then him on this earth. I 'm sure he will have some peace and mercy.

But he might want to get things right between himself and a whole lot of other people before he croaks.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.