Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Alyna ( )
Date: April 05, 2017 05:28PM

I was recently at a department store and these ladies were loudly talking about garments and the "garment line" and saying which clothes were modest and immodest on the racks. Later, I was in the dressing room and they came in and kept talking about it through the stalls. I'm Mormon myself, but I wear so many black, gothic-looking clothes that I'd be surprised if they looked at me and thought I was Mormon. So, for all intents and purposes, they were talking about garments in the presence of a non Member and a complete stranger.

Something similar also happened when I was eating lunch at a café and a group of people in Sunday clothes were talking about the Temple.

I really get secondhand embarrassment when I hear conversations like these.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Alyna ( )
Date: April 05, 2017 05:29PM

EDIT:

HEAR, I meant. Bad typo. Sorry.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 05, 2017 05:45PM

I'll never forget when an uber TBM female aquaintance (who is unaware that I am no longer in the cult) was complaining in public that she and her husband were very concerned their daughter wouldn't be joining the in the CK. The daughter was a bit of a wild child I guess.....and I'm silently saying "you go girl"!

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 05, 2017 05:59PM

Many years ago, my father and I were walking through the parking lot of Wal Mart in Orem. The Wasatch Mountains loomed attractively in the background. "I'm gonna miss the Mountains," my father said out of the blue. "Are you moving again?" I asked. And my father said, "No, but the Lord's going to take down all the mountains soon as the end approaches."

I thought I heard a cuckoo bird trilling nearby.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: April 05, 2017 06:59PM

Yeah. Living on a smooth glass sphere, everyone in the same white clothes, and having a "new name" that is the same as a few million other Celestialites, doesn't exactly sound enticing. It's almost like some idiot dreamed that all up.

Posted by: Exmoron ( )
Date: April 05, 2017 06:07PM

I refused to dine at restaurants or other similar public places w/ my very TBM father in law - even when I was a TBM. He was so embarrassing because he would either be trying to convert the waiter (getting their name for the missionaries) or just generally talking so loud. In his mind, talking loudly about ultra Mormon stuff was doing missionary work. For example, at restaurant he might say, "I was at the temple of the Lord last week, and I felt the spirit so strongly." Once in a crowded movie theatre he said, "Why do the need to take the Lords name in vane so much...it's just not necessary."

Mormons are just plain weird.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 06, 2017 05:23PM

Very funny review (the only worth reading) states that he was married there, but only half of his family could get in. He states that it has terrible customer service and gave it 1 star review! lol

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 05, 2017 07:33PM

Certainly not you, me, or others who are subjected to their poor behavior.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: April 06, 2017 05:17AM

how about religion in the workplace? because when someone asks me a question about Mormons, (and yes I'm one) I go all into it unashamedly in front of everyone ... and not just the faith promoting stuff. I had a friend ask me the other day at lunch if my folks were polygamists, well of course this was a great opportunity to start on in all about the FLDS and Warren Jeffs etc.

But it's also important to give others the limelight as well, we can converse about Catholics and protestants, which are also very interesting conversations as well.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: April 06, 2017 11:02AM

While standing in line at a restaurant one day, two Mormons stood in back of me and talked loudly about one of their friends. Apparently, the friend had married at 19, became a widow at 20 and now at 22 no one in the church wanted to date her because the friend was sealed to her deceased husband. The friend couldn't be sealed again to another man and if she married again, any children she had with her new husband would be sealed to her first husband. They were trying to come up with a list of men who they could set their friend up with who might not care so much about her circumstance.

At the time, I was questioning the church, but I hadn't left yet. Listening to that conversation kind of sealed the deal for me. It was a reminder that Mormonism is just so nutty.

Posted by: Drew90 ( )
Date: April 06, 2017 08:56PM

Yet a widower can remarry in the temple and become a polygamist in the CK. And divorced woman have to get permission from their ex husband to cancel the sealing with them to get sealed to another man. It's stupid

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2017 08:57PM by Drew90.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: April 06, 2017 08:53PM

Posted by: donbagley ( ) Many years ago, my father and I were walking through the parking lot of Wal Mart in Orem. The Wasatch Mountains loomed attractively in the background. "I'm gonna miss the Mountains," my father said out of the blue. "Are you moving again?" I asked. And my father said, "No, but the Lord's going to take down all the mountains soon as the end approaches."

I thought I heard a cuckoo bird trilling nearby.
--------

It may have been me. (Polly)
Sure shows the absolute ignorance of some people.
I've been a member for decades, but never heard that one.
('cept maybe for the speculations re. the locations mentioned for the "lost" 10 tribes, such as on the moon--where they wear tall black hats, per J.Smith.)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.