Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anonski2! ( )
Date: April 06, 2017 10:47AM

Maybe 2 faced is not the right way to put, because I do not think that it is necessarily all their fault. They are kind of conditioned to be this way.

How many of you are(or where), the person that other church members would confide to about things about the church that bothered them? On the outside, all appears normal as they post the sappy things that they do do on social media, and go along with everyone's re-affirming, positive, all is wonderful and great comments...while on the inside they are deeply conflicted.

The Church is not a healthy environment for these people. They have no safe outlet. They may not even want to leave. They just want to be able to exercise critical thinking and feel like it is okay.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: April 06, 2017 10:57AM

It's conditioned. They can't even make a decision without consulting the HG, which is like flipping a coin. Madness is like falling. All they needed was a little push.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 06, 2017 11:01AM

My MIL's back stabbing larcenous Catholic hoard would give 'em a run for their money.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 06, 2017 08:18PM

Obsequiousness is a learned trait

Sacred, not secret
Covenants, not rules
In the world, not of the world
Spiritual, not fantasist
Inspired, not arbitrary
Concerned, not judgmental

and the Mormons take lessons weekly for life.

Date: April 07, 2017 12:09AM

Obsequiousness. Now there's a word you can shove up your ass.

Posted by: janis ( )
Date: April 07, 2017 01:38AM

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 07, 2017 02:07AM

offended by vocabulary?

Date: April 07, 2017 04:48PM

Some jokes don't work on the internet.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: April 06, 2017 10:49PM

I had more than my share of two-faced Mormons in my life, when I was young, inexperienced, and trusting.

My brother abused me, and was a bully at school, but he pretended to be "retarded" at church, and gained the sympathy of our ward members. They hired him. They invited him to dinner. They let him date their daughters.

An RM conned me into marrying him, after only a few months of knowing him. He conned my parents, too. He had a history of assault and battery, and he battered me, too. After 14 months, I was in pretty bad shape, and divorced him, to save my life. The Mormons thought he was such a great guy, and blamed me for the divorce.

My nephew conned tens of thousands of dollars from my father and my uncle, saying he was going to start a business. Of course, the "business" never existed. The same nephew STOLE tens of thousands of dollars from me and my brother, and from my parents' estate. He robbed my parent's house, taking Mother's jewelry and Dad's valuable coin collection, and an even more valuable original oil painting (saying he was going to get it re-framed.) He was a Mormon bishop, when he stole my money.

Other families might argue and fight, but I think the Mormons have more than their share of "affinity fraud." It's a tradition started by Joseph Smith. The lying cult nurtures sociopaths. If people are born sociopaths, maybe all the polygamous inter-marriages of Mormons strengthen the sociopath gene.

What a combination! Mormon sociopaths + gullible Mormons who believe lies!

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: April 07, 2017 12:01AM

I have observed something similar. A Mo I know was a convert and for various reasons the LDS Inc discipline system works for her family, so she's content because of that. She posts some, not a lot, of sappy TBM links on Facebook. In person she doesn't give the hard sell, rather admits that she doesn't believe everything.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: April 07, 2017 12:10AM

Good term. But it's a common trait of human beings. Has nothing to do with religion, in my experience. It's just people being people.

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: April 07, 2017 01:52AM

I have seen the two face quite a few times its a part of them it seems, like created from being in the church community gossip arena too long.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: April 07, 2017 10:11AM

One of the things I reflect on about my experience within the Mormon culture was the tension between the person I was, or was becoming, and the person the church and the family expected me to be.

Trying to maintain those two personas inevitably results in hypocrisy and two facedness that's probably greater than normal. And with dangerous, devious people like Breeze unfortunately encountered, the respectable persona of the church person can make it hard for others to believe the real person lying underneath is a real, ahem, jerk.

Posted by: canary21 ( )
Date: April 07, 2017 04:24PM

Every religion has two-faced people. It's not about the religion itself, it's the people.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: April 07, 2017 04:49PM

canary21 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Every religion has two-faced people. It's not
> about the religion itself, it's the people.

^^^^This.

It's not about religion, specifically or generally.

It's about people.

When evaluating human behavior, try to avoid black/white thinking, and instead, step back, and use critical thinking skills. It take a bit of time to get into this kind of thought process, but it's worth it.

Posted by: op47 ( )
Date: April 07, 2017 05:14PM

No, feminists are.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: April 07, 2017 05:44PM

Mormons are two-faced because Mormonism is two-faced.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.