Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Agnes Broomhead ( )
Date: April 08, 2017 11:07AM

I see on page 77 in Gospel Principles this claim that "[stake patriarchs] are the word of the Lord personally to us". Is that just when they give priesthood blessings, or 24/7, including any jobs or political office they hold? Are they likely to abuse the trust of the people if they hold public office?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: April 08, 2017 07:06PM

I had a Stake President who used to tell everyone he was the prophet for our Stake.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: April 08, 2017 08:32PM

As far as I know patriarch is a higher calling in the Mormon Melchezidich Priesthood than apostle or prophet. But of course the bretheren find that threatening so they don't go around talking about it to the members.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: April 09, 2017 04:54AM

Stake patriarchs are not prophets. When it was filled, the position of Patriarch to the Church was held by a descendant of the Smith line and he was sustained as a Prophet, Seer and Revelator.

Patriarch used to be a priesthood office between High Priest and Apostle. No I'm not sure since a stake president can now ordain a patriarch for their stake. Prior to that only an apostle or another patriarch could ordain one.

God's eternal unchanging priesthood was reorganized sometine in the 80s. Prior to that a 70 was an office between Elder and High Priest.

So hard to know anymore.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.