Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: turtleHerpes ( )
Date: April 18, 2017 11:05PM

I have not stepped foot in an lds church in over 14 years. I have not yet formally resigned as I am waiting until the passing of a loved one out of respect for them (no matter how silly it is, it would hurt them if I did and so I choose not to).

Anyway -- I had a co-worker ask me the other day if I was lds and I said "No"

Another co-worker (who knows me outside of work) overheard this conversation (we were in the break room) and asked me "did you resign?"

After passing on my initial inclination to punch him in the face, I said "no". He then said -- "well then, you are still a member." -- the urge to punch him in the face returned, but I again passed on the urge to avoid a trip to our human resources office.

Why is it so important for members to want those of us who obviously do not want anything to do with the church to be identified with the church so bad??

I'm considering asking him "Didn't you used to be a non-member?" ever time I see him -- just to annoy him.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: April 18, 2017 11:15PM

He wants to know whether to judge you and shun you for resigning, or whether to try to reactivate you. Everything in the church needs to be polarized for some people (right/wrong, good/bad, in or out). Ambiguity makes them nervous.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: April 18, 2017 11:18PM

It may not be funny to you, but the way you wrote that made me laugh so hard. Maybe it's just because I am so tired. I mean, they really think if they say you are a member then you are. And what you say doesn't count. And these are grown-ups! Hahahaha.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 19, 2017 05:54AM

Question: Are you LDS?

Answer: Gaping, open mouthed. You're asking me my religion?? Sorry, that's personal. This is the workplace."

If someone MUST do paperwork to stop being mormon, then NO ONE ever left from Joe's time until the establishment of that paperwork. That's nonsense. Everyone in a free society has a right to say when they are no longer in a church. Not going there or contributing speaks louder than paperwork.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2017 05:57AM by Cheryl.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: April 19, 2017 06:11AM

Yes, I joined the church. It was a youthful indiscretion and it'll never happen again.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: April 19, 2017 10:43AM

Interesting that TBM's would tell you to *feel* in your heart (not your head) that the church is true; but when the same feeling in your heart (and your head) is used to get the hell out of there, there's paperwork involved...

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 19, 2017 11:32AM

Their mindset is amazing. You don't have to be thrown out of TSCC to stop considering yourself a member. For many of us, the choice to be baptized was made at the precious age of eight. Do you still enjoy running around playing tag, climbing the jungle bars and watching cookie monster on sesame street? Most of us have moved on.

Posted by: Dabners ( )
Date: April 19, 2017 02:28PM

"They may have my name on their rolls but I am by no means a member. It sounds to me like they aren't keeping their records up to date."

Posted by: canary21 ( )
Date: April 19, 2017 03:00PM

They probably want you to identify because the church to them is something they are proud of. Aside from that, they probably want to re-activate you.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: April 19, 2017 05:14PM

If what you say is true, I'd be more concerned about the "inclination to punch him in the face" and the returning "urge to punch him in the face" than about a co-worker asking about religion.

I've been asked the same, and even worse by TBM's in the workplace....never felt like punching anyone in the face over it though.

Posted by: eyestosee ( )
Date: April 19, 2017 05:27PM

Have you been gang stalked or harnessed since leaving? Is there a group of survivors who are connected that resist the harassment?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 19, 2017 06:51PM

It's really okay to stare silently at people who ask you inappropriate questions.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.