Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 19, 2017 05:36PM

Perfectly ridiculous. I think it would be fair to require business appropriate wear. And in 2017, that includes pantsuits.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: daveintx ( )
Date: April 19, 2017 06:03PM

Purely a reaction by the repub's and conservatives to not recognize or give the "Pantsuit Nation" any recognition at their events.

Date: April 19, 2017 06:21PM

I think that's a part of it, but it seems to be specifically Mormon standards for female church attire -- at what should be an event welcome to all comers.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 19, 2017 08:39PM

Exactly!

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 19, 2017 08:08PM

Entirely appropriate for groups who "judge" people by their appearance instead of their character.

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: April 19, 2017 08:09PM

No code for the males!??

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: April 19, 2017 08:25PM

"No code for the males!??"

Not in Utah. The males make the rules for others to abide by.

Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: April 19, 2017 08:37PM

Could a different group demand that all males wear kilts?

Even the non-Scottish ones?

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 19, 2017 08:16PM

Men are free to wear whatever dresses they prefer so long as they wear opaque leggings to cover up their hairy legs.

Date: April 19, 2017 08:28PM

This is stupid! Let's turn the clock back 50 years.

Posted by: Anon370H55V ( )
Date: April 19, 2017 08:45PM

BYU Boner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is stupid! Let's turn the clock back 50
> years.
================================
If you do that I'll be dead!

Date: April 19, 2017 08:49PM

Er, 25 years?

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 19, 2017 09:42PM

Additionally, girls may espouse any conservative position they choose. They may, for instance, oppose the Equal Rights Amendment for either economic or moral reasons. Government aid to the poor may be described as either wasteful or immoral. Both positions are acceptable.

Forbidden are "starving child" theories and accusations of racism. There is no racism in our community. And no girls wearing pants or pant suits. It's immodest and anti feminine.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: April 19, 2017 10:33PM

I(n elementary through high school, girls wore dresses. (Or skirts and blouses.) That's just the way things WERE. Nobody thought to question it.

I absolutely LOVED university. This was in SoCal, in the 60s. Long hair, beads, hip-huggers, bare feet if you wanted, no bra for those who could pull of that look without looking gross. . .

Administration didn't care how you LOOKED (if you smelled bad and they got complaints, that was different, but very rare.) They cared about what was in your MIND. They valued what and how you thought, the questions you asked, what you wrote and how you wrote it.

To me, to this day, that is the gold standard for a university. To be able to dress as outrageously as you want, as long as you can absorb very stringent academic material. (And they moved right along, too - no repeating stuff ad nauseam so the dummies could get it. There weren't any dummies to worry about.)

What you WEAR (as long as it covers "the essentials) shouldn't have anything to do with the quality of your education.

I've heard the arguments about when everyone wears the same outfit, nobody can flaunt a fancy wardrobe. (But everyone knows they have plenty of clothes because they wear them to "activities," live in a posh neighborhood, and Mommy and Daddy drive his and hers Maseratis.)

I've read that uniforms discourages "thinking outside the box." If the kids basically think alike and are no encouraged to question, You might end up with a bunch of little robots who are not ready for university.

Anyway, you've probably figured out - I have NO use for dress codes, ESPECIALLY when they apply ONLY to girls.

When my youngest daughter was in middle school, they had a "sort-of" uniform. No blue jeans were allowed. Both boys and girls were allowed to wear nice khaki trousers, or navy blue ones. Tops had to be in solid colors, (White, blue or khaki), no designs at all, shirts had to have collars. The kids hated it, as did the parents. There was eventually such a ruckus - at all levels - that the school did away with the code.

Date: April 20, 2017 07:11PM

I went to a rather liberal university for my undergraduate years. Normally I wore the standard uniform of jeans and a t-shirt. Sometimes I would wear shorts. But one fine spring day, I wore cut offs and a bikini top to class.

No one blinked. :)

Posted by: Anonymous and nervous ( )
Date: April 20, 2017 04:12AM

The girls need to wear pants under their skirt.

I used to do that, when I would stop by the Mormon stake center, after work, to practice the organ in the chapel. Women had to wear skirts in the chapel. Most of the time the chapel was not heated, or it was snowing outside, so the pants were nice and warm. I kept an old wrap-around skirt in the car, and would throw that on. In the summer, I would throw it on over my shorts. I should have kept the skirt, to use for Mormon funerals, at noon, coming from work.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: April 20, 2017 05:52AM

Females are born defective. Whatever they want to do is wrong.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.