Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: April 23, 2017 01:36AM

It happened during a "60 Minutes" segment that aired on 7 April 1996.

Ever the consummate schmoozer, the aw-shucks-all-hooey-all-the time Hinckley was willing--on national TV, no less--to stoop to shovelin' poop about he and I supposedly knowing each other.

I suppose it may have been an effort on his part to show the world he was open, tolerant, and willing to personally get acquainted with ex-Mormon apostate cartoonists as proof that he was comfortable in his own testimonial skin. (Actually, Hinckley had a bad habit of dodging chances under the media spotlight to personally affirm that he was God's living prophet on the earth today, but that's another story).

In a recap of Wallace's 1996 interview with the Hinck of LDS Inc., CBS described how his casual "lying for the Lord about me and Steve" unfolded:

(CBS): "Steve Benson left the Church to become one of its most outspoken critics, even though his late grandfather, Ezra Taft Benson, President Eisenhower's Secretary of Agriculture, had been a Church president. Benson complains [to Wallace] that by enforcing conformity, the Church stifles independent thought. 'The cultural mind-set in the Church is when the prophet has spoken, the debate is over,' he said."

(Wallace's question to me): "'And the prophet is?' Wallace asked."

(My answer to Wallace): "'Gordon B. Hinckley would be the prophet. When he has pronounced the Church's position on any issue, it is incumbent upon the members of the Church to pray, pay and obey,' Benson claimed."

(CBS, quoting Hinckley's response to the above exchange): "Hinckley's reaction?: 'Well, that's a clever statement from Steve, whom I know. Now, look, our people have tremendous liberty. They're free to live their lives as they please,' he said."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/an-interview-with-gordon-hinckley/

I call complete, total, and unswerving B.S. on Hinckley's canned claim.

Hinckley didn't know me and I sure as hell didn't know him. Before that interview, Hinckley and I had never met.

We had never talked on the phone, in person, by Morse code, via passenger pigeon or upon the Five (or was it Three? I've been out so long) Points of Fellowship through the Veil.

We had never corresponded by mail, fax, the Holy Ghost, Ouija boards, four-generation group sheets, Deformed Egyptian, rocks in hats, or gold plates.

Simply put, there was no "there" there, no prayer circle arms-to-the-square there, no testimony share there, no over here there.

It was all hot air.

And we never did meet, talk, write back-and-forth, play poker or pool together, swap Paul Dunn baseball cards, do Family Home Evening at each other's houses, or otherwise anyhow, anywho, anyway, or anywhere get to "know" each other.

Period.

In other words, "Oh God, shut the sh*t from his mouth."

So, Earth to Gordon B. Huckster: If you're going to try and get in good with your interviewer in an uninspired effort to fool him and the viewing audience, don't lie about knowing someone who knows you're a liar.

You don't have to be a "prophet" to figure that one out. You should know, Gordie--because at least you knew you weren't a prophet.

Edited 13 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2017 08:42PM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 23, 2017 03:42AM

I remember well the interview. I was watching TV with my Nevermo Dad. I didn't know Hinckley was scheduled to be interviewed. So, all of a sudden, Gordo was in my parent's den with Mike Wallace n 60 Minutes. As he started twisting the facts and doctrines, I got angry and started yelling, "He's lying!"

I tried to explain the lies to my Dad. He didn't quite get the innuendos and why I was so angry. I realized how much I had bought into the church. My Dad calmed me down and just said, "You're out of it now."

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: April 23, 2017 09:49AM

Man, I wonder how much a Paul H. Dunn original baseball card is worth. I want one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2017 09:49AM by midwestanon.

Posted by: DumbLawyer ( )
Date: April 23, 2017 04:25PM

Midwest:

You just gave me a great idea. We should make baseball cards for all the prophets, first presidency, and GA's since the time of JS.

Instead of baseball stats on the back of the card we could list their religious stats, accomplishments, etc.

We could also create a Hall of Shame.

Posted by: Whiskeytango ( )
Date: April 23, 2017 05:03PM

Here is a joke I used to hear.

"Did you hear about Mark Hoffmann's job in prison, he is signing Paul Dunn's baseball cards.".

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: April 23, 2017 08:21PM

The ole Hinkster could never pass up a good lie.

Entertaining and fun writing, Steve.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.