Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: April 23, 2017 02:48PM

"And now if there are faults, they are the mistakes of men; wherefore condemn not the things of God, that ye may be found spotless at the judgment-seat of Christ."

I was at the Nevada State Museum in Las Vegas today and came across an old BOM with it's cover open to the front page. So I took a picture of the text and transcribed it for you here. Don't know the date on the book, but it was a thick, pocket sized book.

"The Book of Mormon:

And account written by the hand of Mormon upon plates taken from the plates of Nephi.

Wherefore it is an abridgment of the record of the people of Nephi and also of the Laminates; written to the Laminates , who are a remnant of the house of Isreal; and also to Jew and Gentile: written by way of commandment, and also by the spirit of prophecy and of revelation. Written, and sealed up, and hid up unto the Lord, that they might not be destroyed; to come forth by the gift and power of God unto the interpretation thereof: sealed by the hand of Moroni, and hid up unto the Lord, to come forth in due time by the way of Gentile; the interpretation thereof by the gift of God:

And abridgment taken from the book of Ether: also, which is a record of the people of Jared; who were scattered at the time the Lord confounded the language of the people when they were building a tower to get to heaven; which is to she unto the remnant of the house of Isreal what great they nags the Lord hath done for their fathers; and that they may know the covenants of the Lord, that they are not cast off for ever: and also to the convincing of the Jew and Gentile that Jesus is the Christ, the Eternal God, manifesting himself unto all nations. And now if there are faults, they are the mistakes of men; wherefore condemn not the things of God, that ye may be found spotless at the judgment-seat of Christ.

Translated by Joseph Smith, Jun.
First European, from the Second American Edition."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: April 23, 2017 04:10PM

'She Unto the Remnant' and 'They Nag'

Sound like great RfM monikers...

Date: April 23, 2017 07:19PM

OOps. I think those are my typos. LOL

It should read "which is to shew unto the remnant of the house of Israel what great things the Lord hath done"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2017 07:24PM by Devoted Exmo.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 25, 2017 03:46PM

Devoted Exmo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> OOps. I think those are my typos. LOL

Mistakes of men? ;-)

Just like with "answered prayers," "god" gets credit for anything good, but not for anything bad.

Funny how "god" is such a screw-up, never getting anything right. Odd for a supposedly all-powerful being.

Date: April 26, 2017 06:27PM

I am fascinated by what a small and silly god the mormon god is. He's practically a court jester!

Posted by: DumbLawyer ( )
Date: April 26, 2017 10:31PM

What do you do in Vegas devoted?

Date: April 23, 2017 06:05PM

Devoted:

Do you live in Nevada?

Date: April 23, 2017 07:19PM

Yes.

Date: April 23, 2017 08:34PM

What part?

Date: April 23, 2017 08:44PM

Vegas. Used to live in Reno.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: April 26, 2017 05:25PM

I lived in Las Vegas until 2015, and still miss it. I got used to the heat after a while and am so tired of winter in Utah.

I went a couple of times to the museum out there and was just very impressed with the stuff they have. I also like the Clark County Museum, out in Henderson.

I always found NV history to be very interesting. I was born in Lovelock, up north, east of Reno, but my parents were from Utah originally and moved back to Utah when I was 5. Always liked Nevada.

Date: April 26, 2017 06:26PM

I like it here. I never would have thought I would, but I do. I LOVED Reno for it's seasons and I just thought it was beautiful. But I'm liking the large variety of things to do as well as car trips to places nearby.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 23, 2017 06:09PM

I have a photcopy hardback of the first edition BoM. There's no versification, and it reads like a bad imitation of King James English. I love how at the end of the book it says THE END.

It's awfully hard to read, which suggests that little effort went into its creation. Hard writing makes easy reading.

Date: April 23, 2017 08:36PM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 23, 2017 09:54PM

Laminates ? Would that be Wilsonart or Formica ?

Date: April 23, 2017 10:28PM

Kolob age materials.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: April 25, 2017 03:37PM

I think many TBMs would think its the fault of...the reader.

"If you didn't get at testimony of it, you must have sinned, didn't pray earnestly or sincerely enough, or are just too proud of the learnings and philosophies of men to admit this wonderful simple book is so twoo!"

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 26, 2017 10:51PM

I admit, it's my problem. I confess, I like to tamper with my little factory. This causes me spiritual myopia. Due to this condition, I started associating with known atheist wankers like Hie, read the works (and laughed and cried) with Don, and became a lovable curmudgeon like Dave.

"Just stop playing with yourself and your spiritual eyesight will return," the prophet cried.

No thanks! The monkey needs his daily discipline and the Book of Mormon ain't that good of a read.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2017 10:54PM by BYU Boner.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.