Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: April 24, 2017 12:46PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rubi123 ( )
Date: April 24, 2017 12:52PM

Sounds like one or two people kicking up a fuss for something a lot of students, parents, and teachers support.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 24, 2017 01:20PM

rubi123 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sounds like one or two people kicking up a fuss
> for something a lot of students, parents, and
> teachers support.

The popularity of something has no bearing whatsoever on its legality or constitutionality.

And our constitution exists largely to *prevent* a "tyranny of the majority" over the rights of any minority. Such as when a "popular" local religious group stomps on the rights of the non-religious minority...

Posted by: rubi123 ( )
Date: April 24, 2017 01:32PM

Yes, I'm aware that, ificouldhietokolob. Yet even still, in my opinion, they come across as "poor me."

Date: April 24, 2017 01:36PM

rubi123 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, I'm aware that, ificouldhietokolob. Yet even
> still, in my opinion, they come across as "poor
> me."

You're entitled to your opinion, of course.

Personally, I enthusiastically support those willing to stand up to illegal/unconstitutional acts despite an overwhelming majority being against them. It takes real courage, and doesn't come off as "poor me" to me at all. Such people often face threats from the majority they're challenging.

I'm entitled to my opinion, too :)

Posted by: yetagain... ( )
Date: April 24, 2017 10:05PM

451 at work here....

Posted by: bookwormom ( )
Date: April 24, 2017 01:31PM

West Virginia girl here... yes, I oppose this very much. I am not in Mercer County, but in my county, there is still quasi religious teaching that I do not agree with, especially as regards evolution.

Posted by: Fascinated in the Midwest ( )
Date: April 24, 2017 01:59PM

The idea of an "optional" course within the school day, even at the end of the day, where any child who (or whose parents choose) for him to sit out is a problem! What will the result be? Count on ostracism, bullying, "he's weird..."

This class content, at this level, has no place in a public school.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 24, 2017 10:20PM

A Bible class, such as this, has no place in a public school as it violates the First Amendment "Establishment" clause (US Supreme Court, McCollum v. Board of Education). If parents desire such an education, it is their right to do so outside public schools.

In Zorach v. Clausson, the US Supreme Court upheld release time for religious education off-campus. Parents should organize Bible Study off-campus for those desiring it and provide safe transportation for their children.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2017 10:30PM by BYU Boner.

Date: April 25, 2017 11:24AM

See, the Boner wisely understands that allowing ANY religious instruction by the state endangers ALL religious freedom.

That it's not about "persecuting christians." That it's about keeping the state from establishing ANY religion, because any time the state does that, any religion other than the one they're establishing is being discouraged and disparaged.

Too many religious people, IMHO, don't get that. They think it's OK to establish a religion as long as it's THEIR religion. They don't think through what their actions would allow if the religion being established -- an action they've supported -- was one they didn't like.

Bravo, el Boner.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: April 25, 2017 01:19AM

The only class that's acceptable in a public school is Bible as Literature as part of a school's English department. After all, it's basically a collection of stories. Anything else violates the Establishment clause of the First Amendment. Of course, that means that parents who want religion pushed on their kids can send them to a private, religious school, or homeschool.

Posted by: kak75 aka kak57 ( )
Date: April 25, 2017 06:31PM

Bible As Literature is an excellent way to do it. I took this class in high school as a junior (1973-1974 school year), and it was quite informative and interesting.

English classic literature such as Shakespeare's writings has a lot of biblical influence in it with the enduring classic phrases and quotations. Knowing about them adds another layer of meaning to the classics. The same applies for knowing the times in which the classics were written.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 25, 2017 11:26AM

school board needs to be doing jail time over this.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.