Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: annon1 ( )
Date: April 26, 2017 07:28PM

When I clicked on the link, I thought is said Benny Hill. haha!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Hockey Rat ( )
Date: April 26, 2017 10:49PM

Except Benny Hill had more morals. All of those faith healers are scary and fake, especially that psychic surgery , popular in a lot of Douth American countries.
Most of them just plant people in the audience, to be healed.
They only help to make all religions look bad, especially to someone struggling with their faith in religion .

Posted by: janis ( )
Date: April 26, 2017 07:33PM

What took them so long?

I used to have a friend who thought he was the best thing ever. I would tease her about it. I told her if she ever sent a penny to that guy I'd have her declared insane. I never let up. I couldn't see what she saw in him. finally one day she conceded I was right.

I was a mormon the entire time. Ish.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2017 07:34PM by janis.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: April 26, 2017 08:19PM

Apparently, God isn't the only one who can't handle money.

And I was just about to go get a faith healing and faint on TV.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 26, 2017 08:58PM

Next they should investigate the mob quorum in Salt Lake.

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: April 26, 2017 10:26PM

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 26, 2017 10:22PM

Good for the IRS.

Benny Hinn is one of the "faith promise" preachers that hold that if you are "right with God," then God will (is even obligated, according to some) "shower you with blessings," i.e. health and wealth. Other terms for this are "seed faith," "health and wealth preaching," "name it and claim it,"

Other preachers who fall into this category are Oral Roberts, Kenneth Copeland, Rev. Ike, E.W. Kenyon, Joel Olsteen, Kenneth Hagen. LDS overlaps this belief system somewhat (righteousness = blessings), and Christian Science more so.Jim Bakker was also one, but he renounced the doctrine in his autobiography, "I Was Wrong."

Aside from the fact that it is very flawed theology, prosperity preaching is often associated with manipulation of followers, in that to be sure you are living righteously, you have to honor your obligations to God with tithes and offerings (sound familiar?). Then the believer is enticed to give more, thinking that if he is more righteous, God (or God's prosperity principle/law/grace mechanism etc.) will bless him more...and more.

LDS is not a prosperity church, propertly speaking, but it's right next door.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 26, 2017 10:58PM

Damn the IRS! Next thing you know, they'll start investigating my offshore LLCs! Dallin's Boner.

Date: April 27, 2017 07:18PM

Boner, you DID declare your donor fees you got from the Sperm Bank to the IRS, didn't you? The revenue boys are very INTERESTed in these things.

"For nothing is hidden that will not be made manifest, nor is anything secret that will not be known and come to light."

Date: April 27, 2017 10:11PM

I have to pay taxes on money I received from donating at the sperm bank? That tens of thousands of dollars! I'm doomed!

Date: April 27, 2017 10:20PM

"You can be sure your sin will find you out." (Numbers 32:2a)

Date: April 27, 2017 11:58PM

Sin or son will find me out?

Date: April 28, 2017 03:50PM

Just don't let your son find you out when you're...doing it. Major fail, there.

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: April 27, 2017 04:51AM

He shouldn't be afraid he can knock them all over with his magical hand.

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: April 27, 2017 08:09AM

I always thought it was hilarious when he'd swing his jacket at the crowd and they'd all fall backwards due to its "power."

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: April 27, 2017 09:59AM

nomonomo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I always thought it was hilarious when he'd swing
> his jacket at the crowd and they'd all fall
> backwards due to its "power."

You mean like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a54iqEr1flQ

The biggest reason evangelicals distain Mormons is because their meetings are soooo tame.

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: April 27, 2017 12:27PM

Yep, that's the magical show.

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: April 27, 2017 12:29PM

I thought I was watching Dragonball Z with how he was knocking everybody over without touching them.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: April 27, 2017 09:44AM

It's about freakin time! Hinn is the poster child for fleecing the flock and building his own personal wealth. We really need a government that will monitor big business religion in this country more. But for whatever reason it's something they don't want to get into. Conservatives fear they are losing the 1st amendment.

Posted by: Honest TBM ( )
Date: April 27, 2017 01:08PM

Oh how blessedly wondrous it is to know that such a thing could never happen to the true church. Being a true church is a rock solid guarantee to the membership/world that the church is super honest, truthful, and transparent. And that's why when I produce all these website links at lds.org showing the LDS church's transparent financial reports that all you naysayers are going to weep like fools.

In the meantime I know that I look like a fool and that all of you will think the LDS church is just a corrupt manager of finances. But for some mysterious reason (which I dare not question because that itself is a grevious sin) the Lord has saw fit that I not be able to produce those website links for you.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 27, 2017 11:04PM

Oh goody. I had to endure him and his fellow evangelical assholes when I worked at a TV station. Hope they clean him out. Fucking criminal.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 28, 2017 12:28AM

His facebook page is full of glowing posts from supporters/suckers who claim GAWD will save and exonerate Benny.

Posted by: MOI ( )
Date: April 28, 2017 10:52AM

This guy is a jackass. A total cuck lord to the nth degree.

Date: April 28, 2017 01:36PM

A day after criminal investigators from the IRS and inspectors from the U.S. Postal Service executed a closely guarded raid on the offices of his ministry in Grapevine, Texas, on Wednesday, popular faith-healing televangelist Benny Hinn revealed they are looking into "certain operations of the church."

Hinn did not go into much detail about which aspects of his ministry federal officials are reviewing, but in a statement on Facebook he said he's confident the investigation will end favorably.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/benny-hinn-feds-investigating-certain-operations-of-church-after-raid-182008/#siLtIjPJboevtTGJ.99

Date: April 29, 2017 01:30PM

Tony Alamo, another disgraced televangelist, came to my attention a little while ago. Interesting how certain certain scandals have a reoccurring pattern among these groups. Some are cults, others are better described as dysfunctional churches, usually with a very defective theology. Here is my spur-of-the-moment list:

*a powerful leader who started from nothing and built a large ministry. His first converts remain intensely loyal.
*Little or no accountability to an independent board or a denomination.
*Spin-off ministries and for-profit enterprises, such as broadcasting, publishing, drug rehab, leading to:
*******mingling of funds among the primary group and the spinoffs, leading to:
***************The leadership living large, with no distinction between the leadership's and the church's income.
*Sexual impropriety among the leadership
*Investigation by civil authority is interpreted as "persecution," --- rank-and-file refuse to accept the leader's shortcomings.

*In the case of Tony Alamo, he still runs the church, in spite of a 175-year sentence for violation of the Mann Act (transporting minors across state lines for immoral purpose). Sound familiar?

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 29, 2017 02:59PM

We have laws to protect stupid people from being stupid all over the place.
-You can't even pick up a plastic bag without it having a warning not to stick your head in it.
-You can't use a lawn mower without warning signs plastered on it showing it has sharp blades.
-You can't open your washer while it is operating because, well, it needs to protect you from doing something stupid and suing someone.
-You have to have speed-talk disclaimers in TV commercials for drugs that are being advertised because there might be risks.

So where are the laws to protect stupid people from scammy religious preachers? They are crooks! Where are the warnings and disclaimers? Why are religions exempt from having to require people sign disclaimers of the risks? Every person who attends their sermons should have to sign a form that they choose to be fleeced and that the "performance" they are attending may inhibit their thinking skills.

Date: April 29, 2017 03:36PM

Sad to say that's the price we all must pay for religious freedom.

I'd much rather suffer the likes of Mr Hinn with his inane jeebus circle jerk than to face being beheaded for blasphemy.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 29, 2017 03:43PM

Some of the worst tax scofflaws are the televangelists and everyday preachers.

They are the hardest to pin down because they've honed tax evasion to an art.

Sound familiar? DJT?

Posted by: quatermass2 ( )
Date: April 30, 2017 11:14PM

Well, they only managed to get Al Capone on tax charges

Date: April 30, 2017 11:28PM

I'm guessing they are considering whether to yank BH's 401 tax exemption.

Kiss of death to gangstas of every stripe.

Date: April 30, 2017 11:49PM

In the case of Tony Alamo, one of the charges was the intermingling of his personal income with his churches, and that the church was supporting his lifestyle. Thus, he was not reporting income, and the church was failing to support
genuine philanthropic activities (Tony Alamo).

It's a very old and common scam. Some people get away with it (e.g. Clinton Foundation, now being shut down) and some people don't (Tony Alamo).

Posted by: !!! ( )
Date: May 01, 2017 03:07PM

>It's a very old and common scam. Some people get away with it (e.g. Clinton Foundation, now being shut down) and some people don't (Tony Alamo).

or the Trump Foundation whose primary purpose was to buy Trump products, or buy political favors.

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: May 01, 2017 02:25PM

Some day the Q15 will find themselves in trouble.

The hour is not yet, but is nigh at hand.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: May 01, 2017 03:24PM

Tell me Tony Alamo is not his real name. If it is, that is too funny.

Date: May 01, 2017 10:41PM

He was born Jewish, Mark Anthony Hoffman (an interesting name itself). I don't know about the how and why he adopted the name Tony Alamo. He was successful in Hollywood, and got involved with the Jesus Freak movement in the 1970s.

http://blog.godreports.com/2015/06/tony-alamo-80-still-heads-ministry-during-his-175-year-prison-term-while-his-followers-keep-the-faith/

It's an interesting read. He apparently started out very legit, but the combination of ministry success, increasing revenues, and the death of his wife--reportedly a stabilizing influence on him--got him into trouble.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 02, 2017 07:22PM

I'll be interested in any charges. Most likely there is reason to believe there will be a bunch of them!

What is he doing in France? Why is he there? What is their extradition agreement with the US if he is there when charged?

Something I did not know...His name: Toufik Benedictus "Benny" Hinn is an Israeli televangelist....

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.