Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bluebutterfly ( )
Date: April 27, 2017 01:29PM

It's completely hopeless for my TBM parents...they already have a will that instructs to bury them in their temple clothes. Ughhhh
However, I would love to help crack the shelves of a few siblings. One in particular. I don't want to cause trouble, rather help her see the truth on her own. Her convert husband (whom I believe is a closet non-believer, but plays along to keep the peace) would be very happy.
The Mormon indoctrination from childhood has me thinking I'm being Satan's helper by even thinking about this!

Any thought? Stories? There's one side of me that just wants everyone to live and let live (as I expect others to do with me). But then there's that nagging thought of wanting to save family members and their future generations from this nasty cult.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: brigantia not logged in ( )
Date: April 27, 2017 02:02PM

Yes, my relatives on a Greek island. The whole thing was played out on rfm as they were so relieved to learn the truth they shared it with the board. They never looked back and resigned together, leaving a branch bereft of 80% of its members, most of whom were transients.

Briggy

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: April 27, 2017 03:47PM

I think so. One of my friends growing up. I would like to think I played a small part in his decision to leave the church and not go on a mission. He confirmed as much last time I talked to him, which I regarded as a great compliment. He's a really good guy.

Posted by: DumbLawyer ( )
Date: April 27, 2017 03:56PM

Consider sending her the CES letter. It is a great summary of the many doctrinal questions surrounding Mormonism.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: April 27, 2017 04:05PM

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: April 28, 2017 10:34PM

Can you imagine - if through this tremendous outpouring of thought, research, posts, conversations . . . if your output was never the catalyst to a single mormon to exit . . . . those would be long odds. If you knew that to be the case, I think you'd be justified in throwing in the towel -----

Posted by: Ex-cultmember ( )
Date: April 28, 2017 01:24AM

I broke the shelf of my TBM parents, brother and sister, and about 6 or 7 Mormon friends.

Posted by: bohica ( )
Date: April 28, 2017 09:13AM

Man I wish. Back in the day I made several attempts with close friends and family but in every case it went very badly. Relationships were damaged and - if anything - they only became more entrenched. (Probably just me... I always was a shitty proselytizer.)

However, I have come across a handful of old friends and acquaintances who managed to find their own ways out! And, in my experience, that is the only way it ever happens. Something within each individual has to awaken and get them moving. And it has to be intrinsic. But how to be that catalyst...? I have no idea.

Nowadays, I would never make the first move but if a TBM asked me about why I left, I would simply hook them up with a copy of the CES Letter and then take it from there. However, they never ask. Ever. #ohwell #liveandletlive

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: April 28, 2017 10:15AM

My husband, myself, a daughter, her husband,and our son had just gotten out together, and we were wondering how to gently let our middle daughter's shelf crash. So one evening, she went to her YSA bishop for comfort and advice how to find someone that would treat her decent and love her. The bishop told her to keep paying her tithing and the right guy will come along. She went home crying and she prayed to know if she should leave the church and said she wanted an immediate answer. The next day, she came over to visit and we were all there. As we were all visiting, she saw a book that I had just finished reading about a BYU Professor who left the church. We told her we were all out. She read the whole book that night and the shelf came tumbling down.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 28, 2017 10:19AM

I hope so.

When have you ever heard in church that we are the bible some people may never read?

Consider all those people who've left Mormonism because it is rather unChristian in its approach to discipleship.

We voted with our feet. If someone/anyone was paying attention when we left, then we've made more of an impact than we may ever know. For the better.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: April 28, 2017 11:50AM

I've put up a lot of shelves [design-install] the past decade or so and hope I can take more than a few LDShelves down over the course of the rest of my life, by direct happiness, truth telling or simply by example of leading an honest, beautiful life. I'm an open book - turn the pages to learn more: contact me to communicate-talk anytime, 24-7 - that brings down shelves.

Regarding family, it was just a few [about 8]; now, including sibling's spouses and their parents, nieces, nephews, their spouses, and now their children, the totals are closer to around 50. Luckily no one else in the extended family ever fell for mormonism, so no aunts, uncles, cousins or friends have the burden of the 'LDStink'.

I don't make it my life's mission to go out of my way to educate/ enlighten anyone lost in mormonism but would help anyone searching to find the truth [right under their 'knows']. If people want to know the TRUTH, they know where to turn. Any corner.

M@t

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: April 28, 2017 05:29PM

I have had people that I have never met send me messages saying that I was instrumental in their exist from MORmONISM. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q6brMrFw0E

OF course, as well, I have been sent thousands of messages from faith FOOL MORmONS that said I was stupid .....that coming from dumb asses /MORmONS who believe in secret handshakes that they will not talk about as a key to making them superior to others with god. ....I hope those stupid asses stay in MORmONISM !!!!! as it is the perfect punishment for them.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 28, 2017 07:10PM

I've tried for sure. Don't know if anyone actually left but I've planted a few seeds of doubt.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: April 28, 2017 09:05PM

Both my sisters have mentioned that I gave them the courage to leave (eventually) and I didn't look back.

Posted by: Strength in the Loins ( )
Date: April 28, 2017 10:17PM

Not yet. It's still a work in progress with my family. Most of them are no longer devout, don't care if their kids serve missions, are mostly in for family and social reasons.

None of them have formally left the church as of yet, but among my kids and my siblings' kids, the retention rate will probably not even be 10%.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.