Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: April 27, 2017 11:37PM

Buckle your seat belts for this one.....

A genuine playboy bunny belt buckle on a belt in the girls section.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: April 27, 2017 11:54PM

My daughter makes 'finds' in all local 'thrift shops'.

My daughter specializes in shoes by reselling them online.

My other daughters bf once specialized in 'wrangler jeans'.

Thrift shop finds can be rewarding!

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: April 28, 2017 01:56AM

That's funny! It just goes to show how innocent the workers were that they didn't recognize it. Or maybe they had a good laugh over it.

My daughter once bought an awful set of white loafers with gold trim around the bottom. Turns out they were worth a lot of money.

Another time we bought a lovely, finely made formal for a school dance.

You never know what you'll find.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 28, 2017 01:58AM

I was hoping you found a D. Kwon video tape.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: April 28, 2017 02:14AM

I once found a really nice backgammon set with all of the pieces in a leather case at a Goodwill thrift store.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 28, 2017 02:25AM

An XXX video that arrived in a plain package all g with a copy of the Karma Sutra...

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 28, 2017 09:25AM

My never Mo grandmother found a beautiful Black Forest cuckoo clock in her local DI in Ogden.

It needed to be restored at the clockmaker's. But with a little extra money than she originally paid for her find, it was well worth the investment.

It had the little German boy and girl who came out on the hour, in place of the cuckoo bird. It was sweet to watch, and the music to listen to.

She had two other Black Forest cuckoo clocks in her house. To go with her Tiffany clock, and two grandfather clocks. She was a collector!

:)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2017 09:26AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: April 28, 2017 09:36AM

I don't remember who posted this awhile back. This couple went to a Deseret store and found and bought a wine rack there. The lady, evidently Mormon, working at the store did not know what it was.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: April 28, 2017 10:41AM

Eric K Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't remember who posted this awhile back.
> This couple went to a Deseret store and found and
> bought a wine rack there. The lady, evidently
> Mormon, working at the store did not know what it
> was.

Eric, that was me and my wife. It was a Salt Lake City DI. - Richard

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: April 28, 2017 09:50AM

Did you notice a nice selection of coffee makers for sale at your local DI ?

I have the last several times that I was DI. I was stunned. That is big change in the last 3 decades.

Apparently LDS Inc has given in and decided to cash in on this item as they can. I know. A lot of people will say: "so??, that is not any big deal"

Yah, well, you were not raised by my super militant MORmON parents back in the 1960's either, who absolutely would have..... I am struggling to think of the word, Oh yah, now I remember -$hit over such a thing!!!

Date: April 28, 2017 09:54AM

There are quite a few Mormons who do drink coffee and probably wine too.

It's also quite likely that the DI made a corporate decision to sell what people are donating, because there will be someone to buy that wine rack or coffee maker.

That's just sound economic sense, from a business POV.

Posted by: kj ( )
Date: April 28, 2017 10:11AM

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: April 28, 2017 10:14AM

my dad bought a car there once, 0gden use to sell them.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 28, 2017 12:43PM

which is a book about being the spouse of someone gay. That was YEARS ago.

I decided about 2 years ago that maybe I was ready to really read it as it made me too depressed before. So I ordered it as a used book off of Amazon. It had a DI sticker on it.

I wonder if I bought back my own book.

Date: April 28, 2017 09:34PM

There was an article some years back about a guy that bought childrens books at DI and when he got them home found his name written inside the books in crayon.

Seems they were his childhood books.

Posted by: sunnynomo ( )
Date: April 29, 2017 12:49AM

Awww!!!

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: April 28, 2017 07:16PM

While I was living out of state, my brother passed away several years ago. My dad gave most of my brother's furniture to DI. He told me that there were several large indoor lights that he didn't know what they were for, that he gave to DI. He said he got some funny looks from a few of the people who worked there when he donated the lights. They were marijuana growing lights. I wonder what they did with those lights.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: April 28, 2017 08:05PM

ziller once bought this movie from DI ~

https://youtu.be/ELBy5stH3b8

Date: April 28, 2017 08:39PM

We all should have a friend as loyal as Napoleon. :)

Love that movie!

Date: April 29, 2017 12:30PM

Who can forget Napoleon found his prom suit at his local DI? (That and the dance tape.)

;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2017 12:30PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: April 28, 2017 08:36PM

When you say the girls section, do you mean children or are you referring to it as the women's section?

Because if they're making Playboy bunny belt buckles for little girls (or it was done at least) it's another notch on the rather long, disturbing post of how we sexualize little girls.

Date: April 28, 2017 09:31PM

I had to divert around a lady with 133565435688 kids in tow to get to the collectables. I walked through the teen girls section when it caught my eye. I am sure the workers thought a bunny belt buckle was adorable easter wear.

Date: April 28, 2017 10:05PM

Heartless Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I had to divert around a lady with 133565435688
> kids in tow to get to the collectables. I walked
> through the teen girls section when it caught my
> eye. I am sure the workers thought a bunny belt
> buckle was adorable easter wear.

I was thinking something along those lines too, if someone is truly that naive of the rest of the US in the last 10-15 years.

They sold those belts in Hot Topic and other "counter-culture" stores in the mall.

Date: April 28, 2017 09:36PM

The Spice Girls did that to my daughter's generation. Or they just picked up on the cultural conditioning for the Millenials.

The little girls in my children's ages were conditioned in gradeschool to be obsessed with body images, etc. as young as pre-school onward.

Some boys too, but girls moreso than the boys were constantly worried about gaining weight to the point of becoming bulimic or anorexic.

That was unheard of in my generation. Not that girls didn't suffer from eating disorders. In my generation that usually occurred later, like high school or college.

Date: April 28, 2017 10:04PM

https://thesocietypages.org/socimages/2008/11/13/because-innocence-is-sexier-than-you-think-vintage-ads/

I don't think it's been quite as available and consumed at the same pace we see today and the pace the culture shifts these days is quite speedy.

This is what I'm watching unfold in my current area of work with elementary children and I'm trying to understand how we will mitigate the negative effects.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.