Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: May 20, 2011 08:31PM

I had fun scrolling through this list of 25 songs for Judgement Day (link below), slated to be May 21. That's tomorrow. Not that I'm worried. No matter how many Doomsdayers are out there, the Bible says "no man knows the day or hour" [of the last day] and that's always been where I hang my hat. If somebody determines a date you know they're wrong. At least, they always have been til now, which fits with that biblical statement for me.

Nevil Shute's "On the Beach" novel is mentioned in the write-up accompanying the song list. I do have to say that is the single most depressing book I've ever read [people awaiting death after worldwide nuclear holocaust]. I think there oughtta be a law against assigning kids depressing books to read for school. You know, impressionable minds, big imaginations, huge imprints on the growing brain. It seemed really real to me, haunting and immensely depressing.

As a sorta-fundy back in the day, I didn't listen to rock music much (avoiding the dark side, ha) (plus it usually hurts my ears which puts me off it) so I'm not familiar with most of the songs on this list. I do recognize Eve of Destruction though. Catchy tune! Its title at least is appropriate for the night of May 20, awaiting the dawn of May 21, don't ya think?

Enjoy! And please check in tomorrow so we know who all didn't get raptured, haha. (At least in the religious sense). :)

http://www.spinner.ca/2011/05/20/end-of-the-world-judgement-day-songs/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2011 08:38PM by Nightingale.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: hello ( )
Date: May 20, 2011 09:17PM

Shute's "On the Beach" may be depressing, but it is all too real a possibility. That was the point--that it SHOULD have been depressing. Too many Americans were so full of jingoistic "patriotism" that they didn't/wouldn't examine the subject of nuclear weapons sufficiently to draw the only sane conclusion--that nuclear weapons, and nuclear energy plants, were/are just too dangerous to have around.

But after WWII, Americans just thought that they were the only ones that were smart enough to handle these doomsday energies, but that Americans could surely do this. They were wrong. And now-Fukushima.

I hope you realize that this Fukushima disaster is of a large enough scale that it could develop into a human extinction event? That "On the Beach" could become life imitating art? Are you depressed yet?

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: May 20, 2011 09:49PM

Something to get the old hippie blood flowing and a bit of youthful testosterone fix...

However, the blogster who's spinning that stuff about Jim Morrison and The Doors' "The End" doesn't know what he's talking about...

Morrison was way deeper and twisted than that, willing to take his music and his lyrics into the dark recesses of humanity, not just a killing by a crazed war veteran...

From a more complete version of the lyrics than the ringtone ad linked...

There's an Oedipal theme in this one as Morrison tries use lyrics to somehow translate ultimate horrors...

>The killer awoke before dawn, he put his boots on
>He took a face from the ancient gallery
>And he walked on down the hall
>He went into the room where his sister lived, and...then he
>Paid a visit to his brother, and then he
>He walked on down the hall, and
>And he came to a door...and he looked inside
>Father, yes son, I want to kill you
>Mother...I want to...

The last line of this was censored, even on record albums, but a Doors concert in Salt Lake was cancelled because of material like this...

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: May 20, 2011 10:41PM

This song was played a lot in the late 1950s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eShmMrCN9Zs

"Sinner man--where 'r you gonna run to . . ."

I haven't thought about this for years and years, but when I read this thread it popped right into my brain. Late at night, listening to the radio in SLC--what was the station that played the popular songs?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.