Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 01, 2017 04:48PM

In second grade I had Mrs. Lampett for a teacher at Grand Oaks elementary school. The school was about five blocks from my home, and I walked there every week day. Mrs. Lampett also attended the Mormon church in Roseville, same ward as my family. She seemed to be very old to me. I think she was a grandmother. She was definitely a Mormon. When we were reading the work of A.A. Milne, she called the bear Winnie the Puh. She could not say Pooh. She was old school Mormon like my father. He couldn’t swear for fear of being sent to a lower kingdom in the afterlife.. Instead of shit he would say, “sap.” He would say, “dadgummit” instead of goddamit. Oh, Puh Bear, whatever shall I do with you?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 01, 2017 05:06PM

Is "Puh" pronounced like "pew" or "pug?"

Oh, fetch, never mind...

It's just poo.

Date: May 01, 2017 05:34PM

it rhymes with duh

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: May 01, 2017 05:47PM

"Dumn?"

I'm guessing she simply avoided the uncomfortable topic altogether.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: May 01, 2017 06:03PM

My dad used the same "swear" words....dadgummit, consarnit, and confounded were his favorites. One day I pointed out that they were just variations on "god damn it". He seemed to think otherwise.

Date: May 01, 2017 06:23PM

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: May 01, 2017 06:34PM

But cheese and rice is perfectly okay even though it sounds a hell of a lot more like jesus christ than jeez does.

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: May 03, 2017 10:31AM

Just a wunderin'?

HH =)

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 01, 2017 07:36PM

My stepsisters replaced 'fart' with 'puffing' when their daughters were growing up because it sounded more ladylike.

Instead of 'letting er rip,' it was 'did you puff, my dear?'

My TR married parents had no problem with taking the Lord's name in vain seven days a week. It was their cuss word of choice. It's a wonder to me how they managed to evade that topic during their temple worthiness interviews. They kept a lid on that like my dad kept a lid on his hidden booze stash he'd hide around the farm - according to one of my TBM bros who would find his bottles periodically.

I never felt comfortable taking the Lord's name in vain, and still don't sans Mormonism.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 01, 2017 08:13PM

Most of my siblings went through an age where they cussed, too, as toddlers. My dad never cleaned up his language. He also drank alcohol, chewed tobacco, and drank coffee. His father came home from WWI chewing tobacco and he was treated poorly at church. He never gave it up.

My dad's "example" gave me some freedom in walking away, though he had a harder time accepting it than my mother. He thought I was happier when I was active mormon, but my ex leaving was the reason I was NOT HAPPY.

My daughter used to cuss more than any of us. F was her favorite word. Now she is TBM and I get to hear her cuss words like son of a biscuit, freakin' A. She had some new one this year while she was home, but I can't remember them now.

I'm great at cussing. I have been cussing since I brought twins home from the hospital.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2017 08:14PM by cl2.

Date: May 01, 2017 09:00PM

There were times when raising my children that cussing felt like a valve for letting off steam.

It wasn't something I deliberated about much. If the words rolled off my tongue as they did a few times, it seemed to release some of the pressure and actually helped me focus on being a better parent, not worse.

My children took to the F word more than me. Especially once they reached high school and college.

Posted by: Felix ( )
Date: May 02, 2017 12:58AM

Cussing is ok if you are really mad. It doesn't seem right if you take the lords name in vain lightly or without the need. At least that is what I learned from Dad. He was a good hard working guy that did a lot of things for others so his cussing didn't reflect negatively on his character.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: May 02, 2017 04:33AM

My parents (Anglicans) were very strict on the use of swear words and - as the youngest of 5 I cant recall anytime I heard my parents OR siblings say anything worse than 'Damn'.

We would have had no hesitation saying Pooh - either about the bear, or as a childish synonym for excrement - because no one in their right mind would consider it as swearing

I guess it becomes a habit because I dont swear much now,even as an adult.......and when I do, I am pretty conscious of the fact.

My partner is a polish catholic, so her swearing is limited to 'Bo-juh' (polish 'Bog' = God) and 'Jezus Maria'..... which I have sort of copied in an ironic way

Date: May 02, 2017 05:35AM

Winnie the Pooh pronounced "puh" just isn't the same now, is it?

Pooh Bear is still "pooh" bear, at the end of the day.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 02, 2017 06:41AM

In my BYU ward I had a home teacher who had just got back from a mission in Mexico. His mission ersatz swear word was "Suck!!" And he would say things like, "Holy suck!," or, "Stupid sucking idiot!" Everyone winced when he said it, because it's only one letter away from and rhymes with fuck. And at BYU, no one could say fuck. On the other hand, plenty of "religious" kids at BYU fucked, but they just couldn't say it. Holy suck, the stupidity.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: May 02, 2017 12:48PM

So glad the original post referenced the author A.A. Milne. I have this hangup about hearing Walt Disney's Winnie the Pooh.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: May 02, 2017 01:33PM

there is a russian version.........a complete rip-off, since they never paid copyright fees, or even referenced A A Milne
(he was 'created' during the cold war)
Many people who have seen both the disney and the Russian version prefer the russian version

Vinnie Pukh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptEZwjO1DYI

Posted by: canuck guy ( )
Date: May 03, 2017 09:42PM

I hate to say I have been corrupted by the Disney version, meaning that is how I always picture Winnie the Pooh. Thank you for opening my mind to this very entertaining Russian version. I understood none of the dialogue (the tiny bit of Russian I do know sure did not help) but it was fun to watch nonetheless.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: May 02, 2017 05:52PM

My mental version was shaped by the BBC Children's Hour version in the years immediately following WW2. That and my first work experience on a children's weekly publication that serialized the originals. The contract stipulated that they had to be word for word as Milne wrote them.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: May 03, 2017 10:27AM

Maybe Mrs. Lampett was functionally illiterate and could barely read?

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 03, 2017 10:37AM

I am curious as to why that teacher wouldn't just skip reading that children's book if she truly objected to its content and characters. Teachers used to have tremendous autonomy as to what they used in their curriculum; let alone a story book.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: May 03, 2017 12:28PM

For some reason, in my family "poo" was okay but "poop" wasn't. Mom would say, "Oh poo," when something went wrong. But I got scolded for saying "Oh poop." The meanings and differences we sometimes ascribe to words fascinates me.

Posted by: PollyDee ( )
Date: May 03, 2017 10:24PM

I love your stories, Don!

Date: May 03, 2017 11:00PM

Thanks

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 04, 2017 02:27PM

Dad would cuss when he was pissed off. Only heard him use "goddammit" once...and of course it was directed at me...and rightly so. I tended to vex him. But he used "hell", "damn" and occasionally "shit". Never heard him say "fuck" though.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.