Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: brook ( )
Date: May 02, 2017 11:43AM

I'm taking a Native American history class in college and in our intro forum there is a mormon. Here is what he said:

I chose this specific class, on Indians as they are associated in our religion (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saint.) Reading the Book of Mormon you find the journeys of people coming across the oceans landing in a promised land. How they all tie in together is interesting.

Well, I sure hope he learns a little something, yikes! Any suggestions on a clever (mostly kind) response?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rubi123 ( )
Date: May 02, 2017 11:46AM

Is there any shred of historical evidence that the things in the Book of Mormon actually occurred?

Date: May 02, 2017 11:51AM

It's weird and sad that he doesn't know.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: May 02, 2017 11:47AM

I wish the teacher would've said something like; "This class is about history and facts-not fantasy. Please don't let your mythology interfere with learning true history"

Date: May 02, 2017 11:52AM

The teacher will definitely reply! He just posted that nonsense. I'm excited to read what people say in response! What a fun class, so far!

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: May 02, 2017 12:34PM

Keep us updated please.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: May 02, 2017 11:51AM

Maybe he'll learn something that will make him question his beliefs.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: May 02, 2017 12:24PM

Encourage him to ask the teacher about horses and chariots and wheat and . . . well we all know the list. Save the DNA for the Ka-ching at the end.

Posted by: tokki ( )
Date: May 02, 2017 12:57PM

Can you post a link to the Smithsonian statement on the BoM?

http://mit.irr.org/smithsonian-institution-statement-on-book-of-mormon

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 02, 2017 01:12PM

It's kind of you to point out the fallacy that the BoM Indians are not based on any actual history, but American folklore.

It may be the first time outside his "bubble," to discover this.

:)

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: May 02, 2017 01:38PM

A while ago I ran across a scathing critic of Rodney Meldurm that included the following disclaimer.

"We are well aware that a claim underlying the Lost Civilizations documentary—that the mound-building people of the American Midwest were migrants from the Middle East 2,000 years ago—may be informed by religious doctrine. It is our position in this paper, however, that whatever inspires this claim is not nearly as important as the fact that it is plainly wrong. As such, we will leave it to others to assess the role played, if any, by religion in shaping Lost Civilizations and focus instead on scientific evidence relevant to that claim."

This is normally the tenor of my response to anyone who brings up "Book of Mormon history".

If anyone is interested the link is below.

"Civilizations Lost and Found: Fabricating History - Part One: An Alternate Reality"

http://www.csicop.org/si/show/civilizations_lost_and_found_fabricating_history_-_part_one_an_alternate_re

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: May 02, 2017 02:25PM

It would be much more effective to just let this guy be. The proof will come out slowly such as the class looking at DNA, artifacts, etc. Much more effective than starting out saying he is wrong".

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 02, 2017 02:54PM

+1

Date: May 02, 2017 09:15PM

Update! Our Professor responded with this!
"You are correct about the Mormon influence among American Indians. I look forward to working with you and hope you enjoy the course. Dr..."

What is she even referring to? The MMM?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2017 09:16PM by brook.

Posted by: janis ( )
Date: May 02, 2017 09:31PM

Please tell me the professor isn't Mormon.

Date: May 02, 2017 11:29PM

I don't think so... She is educated... And works at a job.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: May 02, 2017 10:48PM

How big is the class, and how many of them will be enlightened to the Truth of the Restored Gospel and be baptized?

The work is quickening!

Posted by: R2 ( )
Date: May 03, 2017 12:29AM

Associated IN our religion? Not with? This guy does need college. It actually always stands out to me how poor the grammar skills are in Utah.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: May 03, 2017 09:17AM

Is it a traditional class or an on-line one? I would provide links and accurate information along with what the cult leaders are now saying about the BoM if he pushed his religious agenda each and every single time. If asked why, I would tell the prof and class I don't appreciate people telling untruths about my ancestors.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.