Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: brettys ( )
Date: May 05, 2017 08:46PM

I think this is interesting, and it brought back a lot of memories. My friend's family had a problem with face cards. I also remember being told we were saved for the latter days, and now the younger people are being told the same thing. Some of the comments are hilarious.
https://bycommonconsent.com/2017/04/27/how-much-mormonism-has-changed/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Quotemeister ( )
Date: May 05, 2017 10:01PM

Wilford Woodruff, June 27, 1875, Journal of Discourses, Vol. 18, p. 37:
"I do not believe that the day is very far distant when the revelations which God has given concerning the last days will have their fulfillment. I believe there are many children now living in the mountains of Israel who will never taste of death, that is, they will dwell on the earth, at the coming of the Lord Jesus Christ… It is my faith that hundreds and thousands of the children that have been given to us will be alive in the flesh when Christ comes in the clouds of heaven in power and great glory."

Wilford Woodruff, June 9, 1895, Collected Discourses, Vol. 4:
"Before taking my seat, I want to ask the young men to study the scriptures; and to learn to understand the signs of the times in which you live. The signs of the second coming of the son of God are everywhere seen, but the world does not comprehend them. The devil is abroad in the earth, and he will destroy every person that he can."

George Q. Cannon, Conference Report, October 1900, p. 64:
"Many who are now within the sound of my voice have been promised that they shall live, if they have faith, to behold the second coming of the Lord. The Lord has also promised that certain events shall take place while men that are standing in the generation in which these promises were made will yet be alive. All these promises go to show that it is not wise for us to put off the day of preparation and to think, 'Oh! the Lord delayeth His coming. He may come while my children, or my grand-children, or some of my posterity are living, but he will not come in my day.'"

Ezra Taft Benson, Conference Report, April 1951, pp. 48-49:
"My brethren and sisters, it is my conviction that the finest group of young people that this world has ever known anything about has been born under the covenant into the homes of Latter-day Saint parents. I have a feeling that in many cases at least these choice spirits have been held back to come forth in this day and age when the gospel is upon the earth in its fullness, and that they have great responsibilities in establishing the kingdom."

Russell M. Nelson, Conference Report, October 1968, p. 90:
"Now let us consider the ultimate reason for our marriage and for our home, namely, our children. I'm so grateful that we have been blessed with the nine we have, for I am convinced, as I'm sure you are, that the youth of this generation are the choicest souls, reserved for these latter days."

Theodore M. Burton, Conference Report, April 1975, p. 103:
"What does the Lord mean by the expression 'hid from the world with Christ in God'? He means that according to the plan of salvation you were reserved or held back in the heavens as special spirit children to be born in a time and at a place where you could perform a special mission in life."

Teachings of Ezra Taft Benson, pp. 104-05:
"For nearly six thousand years, God has held you in reserve to make your appearance in the final days before the second coming of the Lord. Some individuals will fall away; but the kingdom of God will remain intact to welcome the return of its head – even Jesus Christ. While our generation will be comparable in wickedness to the days of Noah, when the Lord cleansed the earth by flood, there is a major difference this time. It is that God has saved for the final inning some of His strongest children, who will help bear off the kingdom triumphantly. That is where you come in, for you are the generation that must be prepared to meet your God." ("In His Steps," Church Educational System Devotional, Anaheim, California, 8 February 1987.)

Church News, October 10, 1987, p. 8:
"It is not difficult to understand why the great God in Heaven has reserved these special spirits for the final work of the kingdom prior to His millennial reign. My heart; like Enoch's, seems to 'swell wide as eternity' as I consider what our youth and those being born in this time will accomplish."
[Vaughn Featherstone, Oct 1987 GC]

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 05, 2017 10:22PM

I enjoyed reading some of the comments following the list.

Interesting topic; brings back memories of yesteryear. :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.