Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: pugsly ( )
Date: May 09, 2017 05:01PM

Hubby left the house this morning about 3:30 for work. He ran into a truck stop at 4:15 to get coffee. He left the motor running and when he came out the truck was gone.

Despite many prayers for the truck to be recovered it has not been found. My take on this is: god can find keys, but trucks are too big of a job, or since DH was going to buy coffee he is being punished by the location of the truck not being revealed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 09, 2017 05:09PM

DH didn't do it right -- he should have prayed before leaving the house that the truck wouldn't be stolen.
So it's all his fault.

Or not...

Try "praying" to the cops. Though, depending on where you are, that may not produce much more results than the other kind of praying, sadly.

Sorry to hear about the theft. I do have to question, though...leaving the keys in the car with the motor running...?

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 09, 2017 05:19PM

If you leave your car running while you walk into a store, you will walk some more.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 10, 2017 12:38AM

wisdom

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: May 09, 2017 05:22PM

Too late for prayers.

Why, oh why, do people leave a running car unattended, especially in a public place?

I know several people that have done this and had cars stolen.

Sorry for the loss, but it was easily preventable.

Rather than notifying the BB that prayer isn't helping, you should be asking hubby "what the hell were you thinking leaving the truck running?"....maybe you did that already.

Also, praying to find the truck won't work. god specializes in car keys, not the vehicle itself. Try praying to find the keys to the truck and THEN, you'll find the truck....attached to the keys :)

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: May 09, 2017 05:41PM

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: May 09, 2017 08:44PM

It will be across several state lines and at least one border by now, in pieces.

Posted by: Riverman ( )
Date: May 09, 2017 09:05PM

I have an aunt. She did not win the common sense lottery. She did the same thing 40+ years ago. Went into the convenience store, left her car running, came back out and it was gone. The only difference is... she sat waiting on the curb all day for the person to return it. She just knew that they were only borrowing it.

Posted by: pugsly ( )
Date: May 09, 2017 09:37PM

Lol!!!
Every day I said "you'll be sorry when someone steals your truck." Every day he said " hasn't happened yet."
SHOCKER! I was right.

He will never live this down, people at his work, me & the kids, family have all been burning him up all day.

There were no cameras at the truck stop, nobody has seen it.
I agree that it is long gone.

Posted by: bankin it up ( )
Date: May 09, 2017 09:45PM

I'm sorry about your truck. He must feel so bad.

It really sucks that some low-life non-working SOB lazy-a$$ CRIMINAL victimized a man on his way to work, AND it really bugs me about the victim-blaming comments above.

Expect your husband to blame himself, too, but I'm actually glad that his truck wasn't taken at the point of a gun, which could have been the plan, too. Maybe it's a good thing he left it running; maybe it saved his or someone else's life. Maybe the place didn't get robbed, and the clerk got to go home, because there was a truck instead.

He can get another truck, but you could never get another him.

If I believed in that sort of thing, I would be sending a little gratitude skyward about now.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 09, 2017 09:56PM

We all make mistakes. I ran into a guard rail going too fast because I wasn't paying good enough attention. I always had the perfect driving record. We live and learn. I agree, be pleased he is safe. Many times here in Utah mothers have left their kids in the car while they leave the engine running and run in to a convenience store and the kid goes with the car. As far as I know, the kids in Utah have been found.

Date: May 10, 2017 05:05PM

Or maybe it was taken by someone stranded at the gas station who had been praying for a solution to his problem, Then, praise Jesus, there was a truck with the keys in it. Prayers answered!

Most likely it was a non-premeditated crime of opportunity. Perhaps two guys had also stopped for coffee on the way to their crappy minimum wage jobs. One said, "Dude, it's like the idiot is begging someone to steal the truck. It might as well be me. I'll get it and you drive this pile of junk to work."

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 09, 2017 10:06PM

In Massachusetts, "Vehicle left running unattended" is a $50 ticket. There are special provisions for trucks and buses, and for vehicles left running over 10 minutes.

Posted by: NeverMoJohn ( )
Date: May 09, 2017 10:15PM

Why does he like to keep the truck running when he walks away from it?

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 09, 2017 10:27PM

I'm glad for you and him he wasn't in the pickup truck when it was hijacked. It could have been much worse than a car jacking.

Wonder if it will turn up, and where or when?

Hubby must be feeling a little PTSD right now. And anger. At the car thief, and at himself for leaving the keys in the car when he went into the cafe.

What a terrible wake-up call.

Posted by: Hockey Rat ( )
Date: May 09, 2017 10:47PM

I hope the police find it. Was anything valuable in it ? I remember my husband telling me , when I first met him, how in Alaska, they'd leave their trucks running a lot in the winter, if they went somewhere for only a few minutes, because if they turned the motor off, it wouldn't start .
This was in the 80s; I'm sure trucks or batteries have improved since then

Posted by: bankin it up ( )
Date: May 10, 2017 01:00AM

Dang, dang, dang!!

A day late and a dollar short!

Keys and address!! The criminal has both! House keys and registration/insurance in the truck?

Someone needs to fix this before bed, or stay on guard.

I'm sure you already thought of it, but this is a "can't-rest-until-I-post" post.

You have to change your locks. Too much personal info in the truck?

..and thanks,cl2. Yes, I mess up, too.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 10, 2017 08:07AM

My Berkeley educated engineer uncle awoke one morning 1960's to leave the house for work when discovering his sports coupe had disappeared overnight from his driveway. That was in his "honest" days before he became corrupted by the system.

Today he's a fugitive felon from the law for his years of being a high falutin con artist who has been scamming banks for possibly decades, and gotten away with it. He's been driving sports cars, taking exotic vacations with my auntie, spends money lavishly like there's no tomorrow.

He's stolen many times over what that car was worth that was stolen from him in his driveway more than 50 years ago. :(

Praying hasn't cured him of himself. He's an avowed atheist. What it did do was protect me and my children from him when I received divine intercession from a guardian angel or unseen heavenly powers to guard my children from him.

Posted by: canary21 ( )
Date: May 10, 2017 04:13PM

I'm sorry that someone did that to your husband. But at least you are having some humor about it. idk where you live out in, but maybe some illegal immigrants took off with it (and I'm not saying this to be funny).

Date: May 10, 2017 05:10PM

canary21 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> but maybe some illegal
> immigrants took off with it (and I'm not saying
> this to be funny).

Because its NEVER home-grown thieves, right?

Posted by: Riverman ( )
Date: May 10, 2017 06:35PM

Of course not...

Only illegal immigrants commit crimes.

Posted by: NeverMoJohn ( )
Date: May 10, 2017 10:12PM

How are they going to get it over the wall?

Oh, on second thought, never-mind.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.