Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: emanon ( )
Date: May 10, 2017 11:30AM

Apologies if this has already been posted.

KUTV news is Utah is reporting on the Pew Research Center report that states:

Nearly 60 percent of all millennials raised in a church have stopped going.

They're not in search of a new faith, they simply want out.
The mass exodus from church pews nationwide has been studied at length in recent years by the Pew Research Center, which tracks Millennials by state, religion and faith. It's research has found that no religion has been safe in these drastic membership losses each one is still grappling with a way to bring them back.

In Utah, a state known for its religious fervor, and home of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the loss of young people is evident.

Researchers believe Mormons may remain in larger numbers than other faiths, but retention rates are dropping at a never-before-seen speed.

If interested, see the KUTV webpage to read more.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 10, 2017 11:40AM

Raised in a church ? I would have thought they were raised in houses.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 10, 2017 04:16PM

I saw the story on kutv. The reporter also opined that retention was the reason for lowering the missionary age a few years ago, to get youth totally enmeshed in the church before they have had a year away from home.

I think that opinion is spot on, but I was surprised to hear it stated out loud on the valley's most watched newscast. The decline is clearly out in the open and a subject of public discussion, which of course makes leaving easier for other doubters who thought they were totally alone.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 10, 2017 10:21PM

It's getting to the point that to be actively LDS is akin to being social outcasts in the real world. People are social animals. We like fitting into our environment. It's virtually impossible to be LDS and a world citizen at the same time. The old saying to "be in the world but not of the world," has become more isolating than ever for those who are still in the cult.

Secular education plays a major role in this indoctrination away from religious upbringing anything.

My children were affected by it. My kids were in a small minority of youth whose parents (moi) regularly took them to church on sabbaths for worship. Most of their peers parents did not. Those other parents were raised something, mostly Catholic where we live. But fell away themselves before their children grew up.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.