Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: shapeshifter ( )
Date: May 11, 2017 04:48PM

Firstly thanks to all of the support some of you gave me when I expressed my concerns about the haters and trolls on here. I really appreciate that!

I am going to try to stick with it to the best that I am able and also check out some other boards.

I am hoping some of you can offer advice about coping with PTSD from Mormonism.

Anything specific you did that helped? Any treatments? Books read? At home therapy you can do?

Until starting this recent journey of unburying my Mormon past, I didn't know how bad my PTSD was/is.

I have noticed for example that I get uneasy around men dressed in conservative suits and esp. white dress shirts that look like the typical Mormon man's clothing. To the point that I even shy away from hugging men while they are wearing white shirts, even white t-shirts can be set me off, even on someone I really am close to and trust.

There are other things like that, esp. issues with any kind of authority (which I often think is a good thing that I question authority so much, but sometimes it may be to an extreme, it's hard for me to tell).

I haven't been able to handle any kind of church service either no matter how harmless seeming the religion. I can't even think of ever having a marriage ceremony (luckily my partner is okay with not doing that either, though he's fully committed to the relationship and we've lived together a number of years.. harder to explain to his family though who'd love for us to have a wedding) and have hated going to those myself regardless of the denomination. When I was married it was in court only. But I found that being married made me really shut down, just the idea of it. And I've had trouble with intimacy in any kind of long term committed relationship..

hearing hymns on TV shows also can really get to me.

I think I have it pretty bad!!

Any help would be appreciated!

S

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: May 11, 2017 05:06PM

Dear shapeshifter, I am in just about the same boat with you. I still head for some counseling once in a while, and I've been out of tscc since 1998. It's a bear. I'm not too successful in dealing with my own condition, so I don't know anything to help other than to tell you I totally understand. Best wishes to you, and I hope you can make many strides in your recovery. Oh, and lots of hugs! ((((()))))

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 11, 2017 06:02PM

Therapy has been the most beneficial thing I did for PTSD over mormonism. I have the same issues with authority. Has it changed my ability to deal with men in white shirts or men who want to constantly shake my hand? No. I stay away from them. I do have avoidance behaviors and hypervigilance. I'll never marry again, even though I've been in a long-term relationship.

My feelings of dealing with authority cover all areas of my life even if those feelings come from being raised mormon. I won't get divorced because I don't want the courts to have any control over my life. I have other reasons, too, like insurance, but when I can get Medicare, I still won't divorce. If my ex wants to, he can do the work. I don't acknowledge to myself I ever even married him. It shocks me anytime someone calls him my husband.

I just deal with it. If it gets to be too much, I go talk to my therapist. He is an exmo himself so he immediately gets what I'm talking about and explains WHY I would feel that way. It helps a lot. I'm down to only seeing him once or twice a year, so I've learned how to deal with my life the best I can.

Posted by: incognitotoday ( )
Date: May 11, 2017 06:33PM

Don't know where you live.

There is a Dr in Alpine, Ut who specializes in treating PTSD. He has a system that uses a vibrator under each thigh. It alternates, giving the impression of the wave passing up one side, over your head and down the other side. He asks you to talk about your life and stop to explain things that are troubling.

He promises to resolve PTSD in five visits. Mine was gone in three. Mine included military injuries (disabled), divorce, and much more. I was a mess who pretended to be fine.

He changed my life for the good. There is a name for the treatment he uses, but I can't think of it. He is the president (or was) of the American Psychological Association. Not a gimmic. Tested. Check it out. I would use his name, but not sure it's kosher here. Life changing!!!

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: May 11, 2017 06:44PM

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/all-about-addiction/201604/top-5-ways-biofeedback-can-change-your-life

OP: The thing with PTSD and many other psychological/emotional issues, is what worked for me may not work for you. Getting stability is the single biggest factor in mitigating my PTSD. I still have anxiety, insomnia, and occasional flashbacks and triggers, but they are not nearly as bad as they once were. Talk therapy, a support group, reading books on the subject, and getting an education is psychology has all been helpful to varying degrees as well.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 02:19AM

is called EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing.)
I've never heard of the under-thigh vibrator thing. There are many other ways to do the same thing.

Many therapists have you wear ear gizmos that play alternating tones in one ear, then in the other. At the same time, you are moving your eyes back and forth - left to right, right to left, over and over. I know of a therapist who works with little kids who just has them touch their right hand lightly to their right leg, briefly, and then the left hand to the left thingh, back and forth.

It is supposed to re-integrate to two sides of your brain. I have gone through it myself, and even helped my DH, the therapist, get certified to use it. He believes that it can help some people a LOT, but not everyone is receptive to it.

I worked with a therapist who was VERY well-trained in helping people with PTSD, and while I am a lot better now, I know that she used many different modalities with me, so I can't nail down just how much EMDR did or didn't help.

PTSD is absolute HELL to live with. Do whatever it takes for you to get past it. And please trust me, it CAN be done. I still have some avoidant behaviors (like, I am terrified of being lost, so I will not drive in unfamiliar areas) but there are plenty of ways to avoid this, so for me, it is not a problem.

Posted by: relievedtolearn ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 10:18AM

It's called EMDR. I've used it too, and it helped. I was wrung out and not feeling safe to drive after sessions; my therapist told me that we were literally re-wiring my brain, which is physical hard work, so to drink Gatorade within 1/2 hour of doing the therapy. I started carrying a bottle of Gatorade in the car so that I could drink it before driving home; that helped me feel physically stable and mentally alert to drive.

And it was comforting, that there was a physical component; validated that what we were doing was about something REAL.

Posted by: relievedtolearn ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 10:20AM

It's called EMDR. I've used it too, and it helped.

I was wrung out and not feeling safe to drive after sessions; my therapist told me that we were literally re-wiring my brain, which is physical hard work, so to drink Gatorade within 1/2 hour of doing the therapy. I started carrying a bottle of Gatorade in the car so that I could drink it before driving home; that helped me feel physically stable and mentally alert to drive.

And it was comforting, that there was a physical component; validated that what we were doing was about something REAL.

Posted by: Hwint ( )
Date: May 13, 2017 04:19PM

Sounds like a variation of EMDR, a very well tested therapy for trauma and PTSD.

EMDR was very helpful for me. Serious abuse from several family members in my childhood and teens.

But his claim to treat it in a handful of visits is shady. I can believe measurable symptom relief in a few visits. But full resolution in 5 visits? That's simply unrealistic and unprofessional. Years with an EMDR therapist is not unusual for some PTSD patients. He could get in trouble with a licensing board for making claims like thAt.

Posted by: Hockey Rat ( )
Date: May 11, 2017 07:52PM

https://maketheconnection.net/conditions/ptsd
This article has a lot of suggestions.I don't know if it'll show up; I seem to have bad luck with links

Posted by: surviving ( )
Date: May 11, 2017 09:52PM

For me, stopping the guesswork was key. This is an indexed book that explains in detail the causes, symptoms and coping mechanisms for dealing with PTSD, in plain-English terms. It is a must-read for survivors and those who love them.

At first, when I came out of denial, I thought that I was losing my mind. The "old" in-control me had vanished, and terrifying things were happening to my mind and body.

This book decoded all of that, and helped me to learn that recovery is possible. Many trauma self-help books are a collection of anectdotes. This is not one of those. It is a PTSD primer.

https://www.amazon.com/Cant-Get-Over-Handbook-Survivors/dp/157224058X/ref=la_B000APT5PG_1_2/140-6343587-8771826?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1494553183&sr=1-2

There are no shortcuts to the emotional healing, but there are maps. :) I hope it can help you.

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 10:29AM

Thanks, I just ordered this.

Posted by: oneinbillions ( )
Date: May 11, 2017 10:32PM

Might want to look into Religious Trauma Syndrome, specifically. It's not widely-recognized yet but it should be. I know I suffer from it.

I still get nightmares where I'm trapped in a church building with faceless people in their Sunday best all standing around judging me. And the voices of "authorities" in General Conference or whatever really triggers my anxiety. And I'm really distrustful of anyone in a suit too. It feels weird because I wasn't even that deep into it; I drifted away in my teens and never reached the temple or any of the really wild stuff. But it still messed me up, I think.

Hopefully you'll find something that works for you.

Date: May 12, 2017 12:12AM

Thanks everyone so far for the good tips and help! I am definitely checking the links you all posted.

And thanks for sharing your experience, good to know I'm not alone in this!

Date: May 12, 2017 01:51PM

Breeze,

I can't thank you enough for your share. It's incredible to me what you have been through, that you actually survived all that abuse and got better and got your power back! It's truly inspiring.

But horrific to hear of so much abuse going on in secret like that. The more stories I hear like yours the more it sounds like the norm over the exception, or at least common enough to be a result of the LDS doctrines and teachings rather than what my mom loves to say in the face of these kinds of stories that 'the church is perfect but it's members are not.' That is the most incredible bull shit statement EVER! if the church were 'TRUE' as they say than you would not have this kind of abuse so prevalent and that also goes unreported and unpunished on this level. If a spiritual path is actually a good one (I don't like to use the word 'true' anymore as I don't believe in absolutes like that now, or try not to!) than we would 'know them by their fruits', the followers would undoubtably be good people, or as good as people can be in a human state, but at least not abusive and sadistic.

You are right about the way the men are treated verses the women. Some of what you shared sounded like my own story EXACTLY. The part about the abusive older brother. I had one of those. Actually 4 total (I was in the middle of), but one in particular (directly older) who bullied and tormented me endlessly and when I did tell on him, (often I was afraid to because of his threats.. it makes me wonder so many reports of the males in the church abusing 'subordinates' and threatening them to not tell, if it's in their priesthood training), he never did get punished for what he did. But for me, I always was, I took the blame for SO much, esp. as the oldest daughter. And I had to care for all of the younger siblings from the time I was still a child. So I didn't really have a childhood in many ways. That was definitely something stolen from me.

Anyway, I don't talk to that brother anymore. I had tried over the years to have peace with him. Even years after I left and came out about it, I still had the Mormon training of being 'forgiving' and submissive. But I finally had enough of him after the way he treated his oldest daughter (who came to me for help at the time) and then how he treated me after helping her. I haven't spoken to him since, it's been over 5 years. I also have gone years not speaking to my dad. I only talk to him now maybe twice a year. I have another brother I don't speak to because he is too much of a fanatic for me to find any common ground. And actually another I don't speak to because of his emotional abuse.

So that leaves my two sisters whom I do speak with. But lately it's been bothering me how I can never talk about how I feel about their cult. We keep peace by not talking about it at all. OR rather they are free to bring up things about church if they feel like (since it's so much a part of their lives it's hard for them not to, but my sisters I can tell try to be somewhat respectful to the fact of me being a 'non believer' and try not to bombard me with it). But my mom will write me letters (now emails) and always mention something about church. She's the most clueless one of the bunch. Shielded by her willing naivety and denial. I often forgive her because of that, but really she is compliant. And a big part of the problem. But since she did once finally admit to not having been there for me growing up, I've been more able to handle having some kind of relationship with her, but it's extremely limited.

I've spent many years away from Mormons, living in other countries even and now even though in Arizona I am in a community void of them. But I have always managed to get close to similar types of people everywhere I have gone. I finally have a partner who is not abusive (for me it's always been emotional abuse and I remember at times wishing my husband, not mormon, but abusive, would hit me so I could identify it as real, I used to even yell at him to just hit me and get it over with, his words and screaming fits and throwing things always hurt so much, but he never seemed to understand that.. you are right it's their own issues, not about me)..

So now I have a supportive loving partner who is extremely patient about what I am going through. I've never had someone in my life like this apart from one good female friend who is a childhood friend also ex-Mo, so she really understands it all. And she still struggles with the residual effects. Interestingly she was also in abusive relationships after leaving the cult. For a long time she struggled with that. And finally found a good one. But only after her doing a lot of therapy. (It makes me wonder more about the prevalence of abusive men in 'the church')

I also went to therapy for a few years. Once I got my heart broken enough after yet another abusive relationship. This time with a lot of betrayal even invoking a 'good friend' of mine at the time. It wasn't until after therapy when I was finally willing to see my part in choosing abusive men (rather than just being a victim repeatedly) and why I would do that. We delved into my LDS past and issues with my brothers and father. And it helped. But after getting into one more abusive relationship I was near suicidal and didn't go back to therapy. Instead I worked it out in some other way I really can't name, but it was months of what now I just remember as a dark room and crying hours on end (in my apt). I pulled myself out of it and got back into doing things I loved for myself. I found meaning again and it wasn't to do with serving a man. It was after nearly a year on my own that I met my current partner. I wasn't ready and he could tell so he waited and was my friend and happy to just be my friend if that's what it ended up being. I get choked up just thinking about how loving he was and has been.

What messes things up currently for me is that I often shut down and close myself off from him because I still assume that it just won't work out because of my past patterns of behavior. I feel like I have to prepare myself for the shit to hit the fan, for him to stop loving me, for him to leave me. It's like I just can't accept that I am worthy of someone loving me like this, even after having seen me at my worst.

But he's still patient through my doing this. I think what we have going for us is that I am willing to look at myself and to admit these things and to talk to him about it. I know our relationship is really only in danger when I bury my feelings and don't acknowledge them and don't talk to him about them. I forget that I have to be almost hyper vigilant about it. It's so easy for me to slip back into old patterns of role playing. And without us both being aware of it we could end up acting like our parents in ways we don't want to.

His family is much healthier than mine and his home life was more stable and he wasn't indoctrinated with some crazy cult nor did he have much religious upbringing at all. So it helps that he doesn't have the same challenges I do. And that he had better examples than me. But his family still has their own ways of being dysfunctional. I think all families have their problems. It's just not such insurmountable stuff as we have to deal with.

With my now talking more about my LDS past and facing that, it's helping him to understand me more and I think it's helping our relationship stay strong. I can see how I have avoided it though, thinking it may have the opposite effect. It's just this tendency to keep certain things secret as we were trained to do. I am just trying to see how destructive these secrets can be.

In re to intimacy. I went through years of (maybe) extreme (not sure how to gage it really) promiscuity. I didn't seem to have any trouble with pleasure except that it became like a drug for me. I really had a problem with the addictive aspect of it. I slept with all the wrong sorts, and got very hurt by that. Emotionally no matter how detached I wanted to be I got involved so then I would be left alone again. And then I was objectifying myself and others. So it still all stemmed from feelings of unworthiness. And I suffered sexual assault by both boyfriends and a stranger.

So now that I am finally in a trusting loving supportive relationship I feel I often shy away from intimacy. I didn't in the beginning. But now that I feel more 'exposed' I feel it's harder for me. It was so much easier with strangers, except not in terms of the aftermath of those encounters. So I know it's to do with being okay with being exposed to someone and trusting.

Again my partner is patient in this regard too. He doesn't even want sex all of the time or seem to need it that often himself. And that confuses me I guess because I got used to feeling like I had to give that to my partner for him to want to 'keep me' and then I just do my own kind of mind-fuck of putting pressure on myself to make sure 'the act' happens enough or our relationship is in danger and he'll want to leave. It's all illogical since in past relationships when me and my partner had sex all the time they still left and still cheated on me because for them it was also an addiction and compulsion, not real love making.

I guess I may still not know what real love making and intimacy is. Because I am so afraid of it. I want to heal this part of myself so that I can enjoy what I have and not be afraid of loving because I am afraid of losing. I am afraid to lose myself in a relationship as i have before, as I did in the cult.

I don't know how to maintain my own identity and still have a partnership. I know it involves balance and remembering to still do things I like to do on my own without him too. Or with other people.

It's just all complicated by the fact that my current health condition forced us to seek refuge in an isolated wilderness rural area. There is a community here at least. But already I've chosen the wrong kinds of friends and got hurt by that. I can see I made progress though and was able to identify the problems earlier and get out sooner. But it's left me gun shy and since we moved thousands of miles from our old friends I feel pretty isolated and alone these days. Esp. since many of my old friends turned out to be not great friends after all, since they were really not supportive when finding out about my illness and treated me like I was crazy.

In hindsight I can see how many of these friends were toxic and domineering and it's good to let them go.

But it leaves me now just in a pretty isolated condition. And I need to be able to trust myself enough to be brave enough to try making new friends. And it's also just hard because my health prevents me from often being able to socialize.

But I am putting the pieces of the puzzle together. Seeing how the PTSD is related to my illness as it adds extra stress that makes it harder to get well. But I feel determined to get well.

So that's why I am hear and reaching out.

I really appreciated hearing about anxiety attacks. I had heard of those but didn't see myself as having them, but now I can see that I do get them. And I do backslide and I do often (during those time) wish for annihilation. So knowing what it is that is happening I can see can give me power. So that is helpful to know. Thank you.

And I think I am at the point of arming myself with knowledge, knowing the enemy. Because even though not surrounded by Mormons right now I still have dealings with my family and I still end up running into people who are part of similar types of religious indoctrination.

One of the people I first made friends with out here of course had to be the only religious fanatic in the community! The red flags were all there and I saw them and my partner saw them. But then I chose to ignore them when she was so friendly and her family so welcoming and I felt so 'at home' in their home because of course it was so familiar to me! I wish as humans we didn't immediately take this morbid comfort in all things familiar! So I let my guard down and then was very traumatized by an act of violence that her sons were involved in (shooting and killing their puppy!!) that was just the final trauma for me. Afterwards I realized that I had been traumatized there already by them killing other animals on their property and the sexist attitudes they displayed. Now I can't go over their house anymore. But have learned to deal with running into them at events and being friendly but distant.

So I am at point where I am trying to learn to pay attention to my instincts and trust them and stop making excuses for unacceptable behavior. Trying to learn what my triggers are and my needs are. And yes trying to live more in the moment but still able to confront and deal with emotions that come up from my past. And not let it all cloud my future.

Hearing your story does give me hope. I am sorry you had to go through that. But so happy to hear that you got your power back. I know a lot people can have a hard time understanding why a woman (or man) stays when someone is harming them. But I do understand. I know what the abuse does to your sense of self worth and ability to have any kind of power to stand up for yourself and get help. It's extremely difficult, esp. after being raised to obey the men. It's easy then to blame yourself and even think you deserve the punishment. When you've not known anything else it's just so hard to leave. So I know it takes so much strength to do what you did. And I know how much strength it took me to leave my ex and how much strength it took to rise up again after my last emotional beating when I wanted so badly to disappear.

So yes we are strong enough and we can rise up again. And it helps to get support here. So thank you again!

Posted by: canary21 ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 12:22AM

Hello shapeshifter

(1) You need to give yourself permission to be happy. You don't need someone else's permission to be happy. So live the life you've imagined and live freely.

(2) You don't need to shy away avoid stereotypical looking Mormons. Socialize with them. Just avoid talking about the LDS church.

(3) Don't think about your future and your past religion into it. Get married and do it your way.

(4) With intimacy, stop depriving yourself. Like #1, you and you only need and can give yourself permission to be happy. Intimacy is meant to be enjoyed by both consenting partners. I would recommend touching yourself to see what you like.

Congratulations on getting out the bondage chains. Now go and live your life fulfilling and whole-heartedly.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 02:22AM

You can get over it, but maybe never completely. Your past experiences are a part of you, but the present is your biggest strength.

Stay in the moment. No one is hurting you right now. You are safe now. No one is lying to you at this moment. You can "suspend" your beliefs for a while, until you find the truth. For example if you think someone is lying to you, say something like, "I need to Google this, sometime." I am always telling myself in business and in my personal life: "I NEED MORE INFORMATION!" I feel confident that I'm in control. If someone ever says that I need to make a decision immediately, without taking time to think it over or to investigate--it's an automatic "NO!"

Saying "NO" will get you your power back.

If someone asks me to do something, I never say "Yes" right away. I always say, "That sounds good. I'll check my calendar and get back to you." This is not to stall or play games. This is to give myself a chance to protect myself. Mormons used to trap me into doing things I didn't like, and things that took valuable time away from my family and career.

Be your own best friend. Do you really HAVE to go into a church building? Do you have to listen to those conference voices. The Mormon Tabernacle Choir gives me the creeps! It's their inhaling--like old people gasping for breath--and the slowed-down hymns sound like funeral dirges.

You are not crazy. The Mormons are the weird ones--remember that. Personally, I think the Mormon cult is evil, but that's just me. I went through the temple when they still forced us to perform the blood oaths, and the women vowed obedience to their husband. My BYU RM husband conned me into marrying him. He was a violent abuser, with a past history of assault. He beat me almost every day, for no reason, and would often quote D&C Section 132 while he did it. He put me in the hospital a few times, almost killed me, but I kept trying to make it work--it was for eternity. When I divorced him, I got all the blame, and the cult would not give me any kind of temple divorce or cancellation of sealing. The Mormon authorities said I would always be sealed to this thug. Years later, when I married another Mormon, we weren't allowed to get married in the temple, and our children were considered the possession of my temple husband, too! My scary ex and his family (related to a famous and well-hated GA) stalked me for years.

When my second husband abandoned me and our children, the PTSD really hit me hard, with depression, anxiety attacks, and nightmares that would make me scream in my sleep. Our ward was full of fanatics, who wormed their way up the ranks to become mission presidents, stake presidents, temple presidents, and in "the seventies", whatever that is. My children weren't keen on Mormonism, and they never did believe in the Joseph Smith lies in the first place. I was left on my own to support my children alone, and they got three paper routes, to help out. They had to get up very early Sunday morning, to get all the papers delivered on schedule. Sometimes, after I left for church to play the organ, they would go back to bed. The priesthood leaders would break into our house and into the boys' bedrooms, and pull them out of bed, onto the floor, and kick them, and shove them, as they forced them to put on their suit and tie. We were new in the ward, and these men were strangers to my boys. The men threatened my sons not to tell me about what was going on. They did the same thing to other boys, too. One Sunday one of my sons was very sick with a high fever, so they held priesthood meeting in our living room. A few years later, my children told me about this abuse, and other incidents of abuse. My daughter had been threatened by the bishop not to tell anyone about when the bishop's hideous older son tried to molest my little 11-year-old girl, as she slept in her sleeping bag. My daughter woke up and screamed, and several girls saw what was happening. No one dared tell.

I'm telling you this story, because my church-related PTSD was extreme--and if I can get better--anyone can get better.

When I got on my feet financially, I went to a psychiatrist, who was highly recommended in the medical community. He is not a Mormon. My psychiatrist is a cognitive-behavioral therapist.

A person is complex, and there were many pieces to the puzzle, but if you understand yourself, and what is happening to you, and why, you can use this knowledge to talk yourself through the horrors.

Some things you already know--like the men-in-white-shirts thing. I run away from them, too. Eliminating the "triggers" is my favorite coping mechanism. I shun the shunners, before they have a chance to shun me. The judgmental, blaming family members, I avoid as much as possible. I also had an older brother who bullied and tortured me, my whole childhood.

The thing that bothered me most, was the way the Mormon church favor men over women. My brothers could get away with anything, but I was blamed for not "being a peace-maker" and I was rewarded when I took abuse in silence. My parents didn't punish my brother, and they didn't defend me. I grew up feeling that I wasn't worth defending. I was nothing.

My last serious anxiety attack was triggered by a PTSD flashback of my abusive ex-husband in the temple. I thought I was recovered enough to go back to our same ward house, to see my granddaughter be baptized by her father. I felt claustrophobic and nauseated in there. Someone handed me a camera, and asked me to take pictures. The men were wearing white jumpsuits, that were too tight and short, and the little girls had their hair braided like the little polygamous child-brides you see on the news. I had to do yoga breathing, these images were so disturbing to me. My dear little granddaughter trapped in this cult!

Even with help, it was several years before I could be alone with a man in a car. My ex-husband would beat me in the car, and I couldn't get out. I had a major anxiety meltdown while driving alone across the Nevada desert--why? Then I remembered when he pushed me out of the car, and drove away, and left me alone in the 105 degree heat. The Christus statue at the visitor's center in SLC seemed like a safe public place to tell him that if he didn't stop beating me, I would have to divorce him. He dragged me up the ramp, breaking my wrist, and threw me as hard as he could on the marble floor in front of the statue of Christ. I hit my jaw and broke a tooth on the floor. He said, "What would Christ say, if he knew you were thinking of getting a divorce?"

You must resign! In my resignation letter, I stated that my temple marriage was null and void. That physical abuse automatically cancels all the vows. The Mormon church should respect the laws of the land, including divorce laws and women's rights. My children resigned with me, and I wrote that they had nothing to do with the temple or it's man-invented rules--nothing whatsoever.

Taking action counteracts the helplessness of PTSD victims. Throw away all the reminders of bad times, and of the cult. I threw my garments in the garbage with coffee grounds and used cat-litter.

Today, I had my first anxiety attack in about 3 years. One of my best friends had died. When you're down, the PTSD seems to come back--but it really doesn't come back permanently. Allow yourself to backslide sometimes. Don't beat yourself up for not recovering perfectly! My attacks last 10 minutes, max, but during that time I feel that there is no escape. There is no end. I am going to die. I quickly removed myself from the situation, got in my car and screamed.

Then I remembered what my psychiatrist had told me: anxiousness and fear lives in the past and sometimes in the future. My brother and ex husband are not with me. No one is harming me. It was only a threat of harm, from which I removed myself. I will never go back there. Right now, in the present, I am safe, in my locked car, away and hidden. My life is amazing, my children are great, loving souls. Mother's Day is coming up.

You can learn just what to say to yourself, to calm yourself down. Learn yoga breathing. Breathe into a paper bag. Pray. Understand that if you take yourself outside, into a private bathroom (like at a party), change your scenery, your mood will change. Most anxiety attacks last less than 20 minutes. A lot of them last only a few minutes.

(((hugs to you))) I'm sorry you had bad experiences. Don't let horrible people take up any more of your memories. Don't let them ruin you happiness in the present. Keep them out of your future. I had to get rid of some toxic people in my life, and that was tough, but worth being well. I was never so bad that I couldn't do a good day's work, though, thank goodness.

Please return and report.

I have no "manuals" to recommend, but I do recommend that you study your enemies. "The Mask of Reason" from the AMA Journal helped me the very most. It helped my understand the psychopaths who abused me. Soon you will realize that their victims aren't even part of the equation. It's all about the abuser and their own issues.

It helped me not to think of the cult as a whole, but to single out each individual, and my relationship with them, and resolve things, one person at a time. It has taken me years.

The upside is that the world outside Mormonism becomes more and more friendly, and loving, and beautiful, and exciting. Getting to know yourself can be fun, and surprising.

Last piece of advice, in deciding what is toxic to you, and what your PTSD "triggers" are--and that is, to always follow your own gut instincts!

Date: May 12, 2017 02:43PM

PS- (to Breeze)

Not sure why my reply got posted before your response in the list, but just so you know, it's up there.

I have been thinking a lot about your story since I responded as well. And I just want to tell you how much I admire your courage and bravery! It's really incredible to me.

Also it's so upsetting to hear how your children were treated. That seen about the men kicking them to get ready is so outrageous! I'm not really surprised I guess, but even though I expect these stories I do on some level feel shocked by them. It just seems so absurd. Clearly the men are trained to be brutes. Maybe it's the sense of 'authority' that goes to their heads and for some of them it comes out as violence to children and women. (Also so sorry about what your daughter endured!!!)

Anyway thank you again for so openly sharing!

Oh I wanted to mention that one of my cousins married an RM in the temple and he turned out to be very violent and physically abusive, to the point that he actually tore part of her ear off with his teeth like Mike Tyson!!! She has that piece missing as her 'present' from him she now calls it.

Surprisingly she stayed in the church but at least got out of that marriage and as far as I know is in a safe remarriage with another mormon. She was able to get a divorce. I can't believe you weren't allowed a church one, that is so ludicrous!

So, these are definitely not isolated incidents, the physically abusive RM husband. And then there are the emotionally abusive ones. The LDS organization seems ripe with them!

S

Date: May 12, 2017 04:14PM

-"The Mask of Reason" from the AMA Journal helped me the very most.

What is that? I can't find it via an online search. Can you provide a link?

Thanks!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.