Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: foggy ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 10:36AM

I did a quick scan and didn't see this posted yet, but I may have missed it...

I happened upon a link to this "lovely" article.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865679643/A-message-of-love-Why-one-LDS-couple-has-stood-by-their-gay-son-and-their-faith.html

I don't know why I expected anything different, but I guess hope springs eternal. There were a few paragraphs that gave me hope, which was quickly dashed by such loving sentiment as:

"I had this strong impression that I needed to come out and talk about my experience of choosing to love my son or daughter no matter what their choices — and to stay in the church," Becky Mackintosh said.

How can mormons still believe they practice unconditional love?

And, as usual, most of the comments made me want to throw things. I guess I'm really out of practice with my mental gymnastics, but I just cannot see how some of these people can justify their "well, it's not a choice, but they can just choose to not act on it" attitude.

Right, because simply choosing who to love or not always works out perfectly for hetero people...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 12:59PM

and having a gay husband and that we could DO IT. It is a process. Not all people make it to the final outcome. If her son decides to marry, then what? Then if he has children and the church won't let them be baptized, then what?

The way I see it, they are pretending. I'm sure their son knows that it isn't an unconditional love. I'm sure there is A LOT more to come.

I read a book some years ago. Wow, I can't remember the name. Steve Benson had mentioned it. I think it is "Perfect: The Journey of a Gay Mormon." The guy in that book finally had to distance himself somewhat from his family and gradually start doing things with them again but on his terms. They acted like they were there for him, but he was always seeing things that proved to him they didn't accept him being gay, that they were just hoping with time that he would change.

My ex's sisters treat him as if he really isn't gay. They pretend they "accept" him as he is and then post things on fb that are pretty much anti-gay. One of them came out to me as lesbian about 25 years ago, but has lived the lie, a sexless marriage and she is about 68 now. I'd rather be in my marriage than in her's.

They can "pretend" all they want, but for us on the other side of this issue, I call bull. My daughter I think posted something about this a few months ago. She is TBM. I realized JUST YESTERDAY that she always ran from the reality of what was happening in our lives when her dad left us. Going back to the LDS church must help her in some way to deal with her life.

It was such a relief when I finally realized that gay is simple. It isn't some big problem that needs to be figured out and all these hoops we need to jump through to deal with it. It just is. It has been so much easier for me since.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 01:09PM

The brainwashing robs Mormons of even having a clue as to what real love is. Mormon church still number one. Gay son is number two and an opportunity for this woman to decorate her facade.

What this woman was really saying if you know how to translate Mormonese is, "I had this strong impression that I needed to come out and talk about MY experience because it makes ME look so good, so wonderful, and everyone will be able to see that I am the perfect example to all Mormon parents everywhere."

And to all those who are going to say, 'Well, this is better than nothing," I would like to remind you that this is 2017 and this is so l950.

Date: May 12, 2017 01:19PM

It's fake. And it is all about her. I personally think it is horrible that she did this. It really bothered me when I saw that they speak at firesides, too.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 01:30PM

cl2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's fake.... It really
> bothered me when I saw that they speak at
> firesides, too.

What's the topic?
"How you can gain mormon status by pretending to be loving, but still be an ignorant bigot with regard to your own kids"?

Date: May 12, 2017 01:41PM

and pat themselves on the back for being so loving and accepting--TOLERANT. I hate that word.

I have to admit that one of the reasons my daughter has loved being mormon so much is because we live in the same ward we did when we were together. We've lived here 31 years. So when she went back to mormonism, the majority of the ward was there with WIDE OPEN ARMS. Half the ward was at the temple with her when she went through February 28th. The whole session were her friends and my ex's sisters, my aunt (who has a gay son who just married a woman for the second time as his family "loves him," too). But I've been told my daughter starts her talks with "My dad has his boyfriend and my mom has her boyfriend and . . . " She even admitted once that she enjoys the notoriety.

Just thinking about this. It is unimaginable the mental gymnastics they have to play to do this. My daughter has told others that she has so much respect for her father. In fact, she gets along a lot better with him than she does me. And his sisters just love his attention. But then they all support this religion. It blows my mind how they are able to continue to live like this.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2017 01:48PM by cl2.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 02:44PM

It's the old "I'm going to love you even though you're unworthy of it, you being under Satan's power and all, cuz I'm so special".

Posted by: shapeshifter ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 03:59PM

- It's the old "I'm going to love you even though you're unworthy of it, you being under Satan's power and all, cuz I'm so special".

LOL! That's it exactly! ARRGGHHHHH!!!!

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 06:38PM

I hope the parent didn't realize what she actually said here, "[I am] choosing to love my son or daughter no matter what their choices." Since when did love become a choice?

As a child, I didn't CHOOSE to love my parents, I just did! As a parent, I didn't CHOOSE to love my children, I just did.

I'm sick of Mormons constantly thinking that everything is a choice. Many things in life, like love and sexuality, just are.

And no, I didn't CHOOSE to pop a Boner everyday in high school English, it just happened!

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 06:48PM

Exactly.
It would have to be a CHOICE to not love my kids, and I'm not even sure I'm capable of choosing that.

Which church you believe in certainly is a choice -- and I notice she hasn't decided to stop believing in hers.
Shame.

Posted by: amiable ( )
Date: May 13, 2017 07:00AM

OMG the comments in that story. Very very sad for any gay person.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.