Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 13, 2017 11:32AM

This is a fantastic essay, and one must read it:

"Nix the Negativity Narrative"

http://rationalfaiths.com/nix-negativity-narrative/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: May 13, 2017 11:57AM

He quote Dieter-- I don’t believe God wants His children to be fearful or dwell on the evils of the world. “For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.” He has given us an abundance of reasons to rejoice. We just need to find and to recognize them. The Lord often reminds us to “be not afraid,” to “be of good cheer,” and to “fear not, little flock.”

The problem is the Old Farts are over 80. They know they'll be worm meal in a couple of years. They are afraid of dying and what the new Morg will look like after the worms play pinochle on their snouts.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 13, 2017 06:45PM

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: May 13, 2017 08:16PM

"Autistic Spectrum Male Rationalists Oaks and Bednar..."

Wow. Had to reread that.

Posted by: anon121 ( )
Date: May 13, 2017 09:08PM

Yes, a very rational and highly critical (and a bit self righteous) look at the behaviour of the brethren.

I have debated the historicity of the Book of Mormon with Peter. You would think someone capable of such an honest and accurate appraisal of the behaviour of the corporate church would be able to see through the abysmal quality of Book of Mormon apologetics. Nope. He has swallowed the BYU apologetic line completely. He believes the Book of Mormon is true history. At least he did about 3 months ago.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 15, 2017 09:16AM

That struck me, too.
He so clearly sees that the leaders aren't "inspired."
He so clearly sees the racism and bigotry and entirely human flaws of the leadership (for decades).
He so clearly sees the years of deceit and dishonesty exposed in the "essays."

Yet he can't apply that same honest assessment of facts to the BoM and Joseph Smith as a "prophet."

The ability to intellectually compartmentalize among humans never ceases to amaze me.

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: May 13, 2017 09:40PM

Self-righteous babble from one who has most definitely ingested too much of the 'kool-aid'. I find it hard to take seriously a rant from someone who clearly believes the LDS,Inc, BS, hook, line, and sinker. I also find it difficult to take seriously someone who has glaring misspellings and incorrect grammar usage. In short, I perceived him to be a duped, insufferable ass.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 13, 2017 09:50PM

the things that are wrong with the church and still remain a believer. I wonder if the GAs are aware of his ranting.

Posted by: gatorman ( )
Date: May 14, 2017 03:35AM

I suspect he is about to get a letter from his SP..."Autism Spectrum Male Rationalists..."

Gatorman
Happy to agree with him

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2017 03:36AM by gatorman.

Posted by: Krepta ( )
Date: May 14, 2017 11:22AM

I didn't know England and/or Germany was involved in the Cold War. I thought it was just the US and Russia squabbling like children (and occasionally using smaller nations as pawns).

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 14, 2017 08:41PM

Germany didn't have much to do with the Cold War. Except for being divided in half by a giant wall and mine fields and stuff, and the walled portion being a USSR vassal state.

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: May 15, 2017 12:28AM

Thank you. You made my day.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 15, 2017 07:12AM

And there was the fact that the UK, France, the US, and the USSR divided up post-war Germany, each having a sector. And they divided up the capital, Berlin, into four parts, as well. The three allied parts merged into West Germany, and the Soviet sector became the German Democratic Republic. The GDR went defunct in 1989, and re-unified with West Germany, and became simply Germany (or the Federal Republic of Germany, if you want to be technical). Berlin was also re-unified at the same time, and became the capital once more. Germany's former territories of Ostpommern and Schlesien remained in Poland.

All of Europe--both western, central, and eastern Europe were heavily involved in the Cold War. Pay attention the next time you take high school history. I'm not sure how you missed this.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.