Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: May 21, 2017 04:59PM

We all know TSCC's explanation of the differing accounts from JS: "The various accounts of the First Vision tell a consistent story, though naturally they differ in emphasis and detail. Historians expect that when an individual retells an experience in multiple settings to different audiences over many years, each account will emphasize various aspects of the experience and contain unique details."

How do *you* tell a story, even many years past, of court testimony from something you witnessed, your first kiss, the birth of your child, meeting a celebrity.....your presentation/testimony to investigators on your mission?

Did it differ in emphasis and detail...to different audiences...and contain unique details?

I didn't think so.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 21, 2017 05:14PM

Posted by: DumbLawyer ( )
Date: May 21, 2017 06:22PM

I have often jokingly said that I cannot tell a true story the same way every time.

Not a defense of Joseph Smith, but I think what I said is true. :)

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 22, 2017 09:40AM

Well, sure, but Joseph Smith wasn't a lawyer...

:)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2017 09:40AM by ificouldhietokolob.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: May 22, 2017 01:06AM

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1979622,1979622#msg-1979622

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2017 01:07AM by steve benson.

Posted by: PhilosophicBeauty ( )
Date: May 22, 2017 06:38AM

Those were two Fallen Angels, impersonating God The Father and His Son, who appeared to Joseph Smith- this was pretty much the commencement of his scam operation, making pretense at having a divine mission to restore the "True Church"... Another Fallen Angel, named Piad, channeled The Doctrine And Covenants through Smith; others appeared, purporting to "restore the priesthood keys", etc.... He never saw any angel- not even Sargiz (when and Angel appears as a human, walking around even); he found the Book Of Mormon plates by means of a clairvoyant gift, or seership. Possibly a low opinion, or negative impression of his fellow americans is one reason he decided to scam-up a church...

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: May 22, 2017 06:41AM

Otherwise, you're stuck with believing the fill-in wingnut lie of angels in the sky.

I mean, really?:

http://www.studyofoahspe.com/id61.html

http://www.angelsghosts.com/fallen_angel_names

It appears that your vivid imagination has been carried away by:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OGoT9eO7vU8#

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2017 07:30AM by steve benson.

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: May 22, 2017 01:49PM

Anyone who waited as long as Joe to tell a made-up story would tell it like he did: to fit our current world view. That's how autobiographic memory works, facts have little to do with it.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: May 22, 2017 08:27PM

Frankly, not being a pathological liar; I would not tell it at all!

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: May 22, 2017 09:28PM

like this ~

“It was a dark and stormy night . . . Ziller betook himself to whiskey and supplication to Jerry Garcia. . . .

“While Ziller was thus in the act of calling upon Jerry Garcia, Ziller discovered a light appearing in the room, which continued to increase until the room was lit up like Las Vegas, when immediately a personage appeared at the bedside, standing in the air, for her feet did not touch the floor.

“She had on a loose robe of most exquisite clearness. It was a clearness beyond anything earthly Ziller had ever seen; nor does Ziller believe that any earthly thing could be made to appear so exceedingly clear and see-through. Her hands were naked, and her arms also, a little above the wrists; so, also, were her feet naked, as were her legs, a little above the ankles. Her head and neck were also bare. Ziller could discover that she had no other clothing on but this robe, as it was open, so that Ziller could see into her bosom, yea even her boobs.

What Ziller means to say is that this chick was like damn near totally nekkid.

“Not only was her robe exceedingly see-through, but her whole person was glorious beyond description, and her countenance truly like smoking hot. The room was exceedingly hot, but not so very hot as immediately around her person. When Ziller first looked upon her, Ziller was freaked out; but Ziller played it ice cold.

“She called Ziller by name, and said unto Ziller that she was a messenger sent from the presence of Jerry Garcia to Ziller, and that her name was some stripper name; and that Jerry Garcia had a work for Ziller to do; and that the name Ziller should be had for good and evil at the Bedford, Texas Marriott Courtyard, or something.

“She said there was a book deposited in the night stand, written upon paper, giving some bull sh*t story of the former inhabitants of this continent, and other easily proven lies.

She also said that nothing important was contained in it, as it was delivered by a philandering money-hungry con-man to gullible dupes;

“Also, <redacted> in ancient or former times; and that Jerry Garcia had prepared them for that purpose.”

And Ziller lies not, Jerry Garcia bearing witness of it.

ziller

IN B 4 ~ repost

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 22, 2017 11:40PM

I was concealed in my favorite grove and just about to drop my trousers when was I found out by two personages.

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: May 22, 2017 11:49PM

Can't think of any reason I'd retell it, but as a thought experiment, the Cheech and Chong retelling of Santa Claus comes to mind.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: May 23, 2017 01:19AM

so, you are asking others to compete with a consummate con man BS artist, joe smith, in retelling his own original BS story.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.