Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: 23eagle76 ( )
Date: May 23, 2017 11:21PM

With many of us having the same "new" name, are names given in foreign countries English names or names giving in their native language?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: May 23, 2017 11:48PM

23eagle76 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> With many of us having the same "new" name, are
> names given in foreign countries English names or
> names giving in their native language?

This is a really good question, and I don't remember it being asked here before!

I will be looking forward to the answer!!

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: May 24, 2017 12:37AM

This is just a guess, but most "new" names sound Biblical. So, the English "Matthew" would be different in other European languages--Matthias (German). The French "Matthieu" would sound closer to English.

Okay, how does one say Matthew in a non-Indo-European language?

All of this begs questioning--When one gives the new name at the veil, does one have to pronounce it in a Western-American English dialect? Will God be able to translate the new name into another language? What happens if I say 'Matt,' rather than Matthew?

How about "John?" Are all the variations acceptable? I'd rather be "Gianni" than "Jean." No offense to any Jeans (blue or otherwise) reading this. Da Bone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2017 12:39AM by BYU Boner.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: May 24, 2017 04:35AM

It was "Hannah." So I decided to at least THINK it in the more Hebraic form of "Chana."

I told the bishop that I preferred to silently use the Hebrew version, not actually SAYING it, just THINKING it. It gave me kind of a rush, to put a personal spin on my own "new name."

The bishop said even thinking the name in a different way was not allowed. I should have asked him to show me where it said this, but I wasn't that brave quite yet.

Imagine, how silly!

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 24, 2017 08:47AM

catnip Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The bishop said even thinking...
> ...was not allowed.

That sums up mormonism right there, catnip.
Couldn't have said it better :)

Date: May 28, 2017 06:36PM

Posted by: shapeshifter ( )
Date: May 24, 2017 04:31PM

Wow that is CRAY CRAY CONTROL!

Posted by: gettinreal ( )
Date: May 24, 2017 05:27PM

Considering that it serves as a password, if you will, it kinda makes sense that it be pronounced in a specific way....

Date: May 27, 2017 01:07AM

it has become a non-issue.

Posted by: mankosuki ( )
Date: May 24, 2017 09:37AM

Any RMs on here that attended the temple in a foreign country could give a good answer.

I read some of the blogs sometimes and it seems alot of them go to the temple on Pday. Hell, if I was in a foreign country that's the last place I would want to spend my free time.

Seems like the names are biblical so I imagine the names are all the same worldwide, just the local pronunciation. Your not going to get a Hiroyuki in Japan.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 24, 2017 09:59AM

What would be cool is if you could get one of those contracted dual Italian names in the Rome temple, like Giancarlo, Giampiero, or Michelangelo.

What is this?

The first token of the Aaronic priesthood.

Has it a name?

It has.

Will you give it to me?

Giampiero!

Posted by: Tyrrhenia ( )
Date: May 24, 2017 02:37PM

hahaha!!! I agree, cludgie, it would be a cool idea.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 24, 2017 04:32PM

I don't remember Lucy being biblical.

That's my super special temple name.

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: May 28, 2017 09:20PM

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: May 24, 2017 04:37PM

It's the same list for every country, including English spelling.

What, you thought that anything else would be acceptable to American Mormon Jesus?

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: May 24, 2017 04:39PM

Could you check to see how to spell mine? I don't know if it's Bambi, Bambie, or Bamby.

TIA

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: May 25, 2017 06:22PM

In Logan temple was given a Scandinavian name like Jens Johannes Ovregaard, and when I said the name back to the officiator it came out automatically pronounced as it should be instead of American Pronunciation which he then recited in heavy Wellsvillian Cache Valley twang, he would not let me pass until I said it correctly ... this was actually hard to do after two years of learning to say people's names correctly. I got a lecture about saying the name correctly. This was really funny, as a sister missionary from mission was in the same session. I told her about it in the Celestial room and she got the giggles, we then got another lecture.

Date: May 28, 2017 06:43PM

Mostly because of my German-born grandmother, I can pronounce German (with a Prussian accent, I'm told) and sound like a native. I don't speak it that well, but I can definitely imitate the sounds.

I was given a German name to go through the temple for, on my second trip, and without thinking, I gave the name exactly as a German would have said it at the curtain.

There were *crickets* behind the curtain. Then, hesitantly, "What was that name, again?" I repeated it, a little more slowly, but still correctly.

This time, the temple worker made a brave, though mangled attempt to pronounce the name. Didn't get it anywhere near right, but we let it go.

Wouldn't you think they would have the workers learn the basics of pronouncing foreign names, just out of courtesy???

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 25, 2017 06:51PM

The names are the same worldwide and all or almost all are taken from scripture.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: May 26, 2017 11:00PM

Joseph Smith showing his Biblical ignorance again.

The Bible provides the account when the big name change was made for those faithful to God from "The House of Israel", to "Christians".

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: May 26, 2017 11:34PM

Posted by: lillium: "Could you check to see how to spell mine? I don't know if it's Bambi, Bambie, or Bamby. (TA).
---

P: My understanding is that when ending with "ie", is female, when ending with "y" is male. (But this is not, necessarily, the last word. Note "Billy Barty", or some other famous person, and see how their name is spelled.

Good luck.

Just for fun: I had non-identical twin cousins who were named "HC", and "CH", in honor of the same grandfather.

Posted by: windyway ( )
Date: May 27, 2017 02:58AM

I ended up debating a Mormon on church doctrine changes, and once I had submitted solid evidence, the poster asked me, in the manner of temple, my new name.

I have spoken it on reddit but it seemed pretty gross in this context.

Posted by: flyindoc ( )
Date: May 28, 2017 09:49PM

About 3/4 the time through our 8 week MTC stay, after one of the afternoon, hourly, ten minute breaks, we returned to the classroom with Portuguese discussions oozing out of our ears. One of the missionaries was locked out (yes, the doors were locked between breaks) of the classroom because he was late. We began the next class with a scripture review and soon heard three distinct knocks on the door. Elder Funtime answered the door with the palm of his hand parallel to the floor and said, "What is wanted?" The other missionary replied, "Adam having been true and faithful..." The evening instructor that had just scolded us the previous hour (with, "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things" 1 Cor 13:11), sprang through his desk and chair so quickly, he was still attached to it upon reaching the door. As we were all breaking the second law of the gospel with our loud laughter, the instructor became pouty, his tears began to flow, laughter was replaced with an awkward silence. The last hour was suffered by the six of us listening to a combination of testimony and what it meant to live a sacred holy life.

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: May 28, 2017 09:59PM

To this nevermo, the whole idea of needing a special, secret name to get into Mormon heaven always struck me as hysterically funny!

Posted by: tiachorp ( )
Date: May 29, 2017 06:14AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.