Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 01, 2017 10:12AM

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/30/arts/music/beatles-sgt-peppers-lonely-hearts-club-band-anniversary.html

On the one hand, I feel old...I very well remember when it came out. I was at the record store spending my allowance for that shiny new vinyl with the "conspiracy theory" cover.

On the other hand, I feel timeless. 50 years of listening to this album hasn't made it any less enjoyable. And sometimes, when I hear it, I remember being an innocent kid who just loved the weird, wild, sweeping music the Beatles put out.

Happy Birthday, Sarge. Here's to another day in the life...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 01, 2017 10:13AM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: June 01, 2017 10:19AM

I bought that record at the BYU bookstore in 1967.

I still have it.

Posted by: Visitors Welcome ( )
Date: June 01, 2017 11:13AM

There was a documentary on tv about the Sgt Pepper's and its influence on its time.

I was only 13 but a history freak so my parents knew I was gonna love the show. They were amazed at how much I liked the music, so they promised to give me the cd if I ended the school year (four weeks later) with good results. I did and by the time school started again I had Revolver as well. From then on, it was Beatles first and the rest of the sixties second.

Funny, because although my parents were forty years old when I was born, they never listened to anything older than Abba and Bob Marley. They always tried to stay cool, I never gave a damn about that.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: June 01, 2017 11:18AM

Marley made the album after an assassination attempt.

Sgt. Pepper's is a great album. It took me a long time to appreciate The Beatles and other music from that time period (I was raised with punk, New Wave, and Glam/Hair metal) but I listen to songs from both of these albums a few times a week.

Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: June 01, 2017 05:05PM

Beatles fan since 1963 in First Grade.They are a fairly big part ofa lot of experiences growing up.My parents were LDS a but they seemed to bo ok with me and older sister blasting The Beatles.My mormon family is very liberal not just compared to other mormons but compared to everybody. We had lunch on Memorial day and these folks are to the left of Bernie .Very accepting of other people None of the usual uptight bullshit .Very weird . Did not think they could be that independent .I am fortunate even tho I'm out my family My LDS family is generally pretty laid back and fun loving .I kinda think it's rare .

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: June 01, 2017 05:09PM

Great album, but my very favorite is Rubber Soul

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: June 01, 2017 06:30PM

My TBM parents bought me that album for Christmas that year.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: June 01, 2017 06:39PM

So it was 70 years ago today Sgt. Pepper taught the band to play.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: June 01, 2017 06:42PM

Even with all the nostalgia, I'd rather be the old fart I am now than the tormented, conflicted, repressed, self-loathing teenager I was back then. However, if I could put my current self back into that teen body...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2017 06:42PM by Stray Mutt.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: June 01, 2017 09:17PM

It was an album that was very much ahead of its time--and it was all done using only 4 tracks! Musically, my favorite tracks are "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds," and "Lovely Rita." Lyrically, the best track is probably "Within You, Without You," written by George Harrison (his only contribution to that album). As the late John Lennon told Playboy shortly before his untimely death in 1980: "You can hear that his mind is clear."

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: June 01, 2017 09:20PM

George was the best.

Posted by: hgc2 ( )
Date: June 01, 2017 09:41PM

I play the piano for a singing group at a Del Webb retirement community. Our last concert was a tribute to the Beatles.

I was brought up on classical music and I never cared much for the Beatles or any other popular music at the time.

I fell in love with their music in practicing for the concert. Now for the first time at age 75 I am a Beatles fan.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: June 01, 2017 09:43PM

The Beatles were with me as I transitioned out of Mormonism at age twelve. They were still together at that time (but not for long). I thought they were the freest men on Earth. How I coveted that freedom!

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 01, 2017 09:51PM

One of our local synagogues is having a Beatles shabbat this coming weekend.

How cool is that?!

Posted by: Mujun ( )
Date: June 02, 2017 04:38PM

but it's not even my favorite Beatles album from 1967. While it's less cohesive in a collective sense and arguably falls short of the true definition of an album, I love Magical Mystery Tour. It had a much higher concentration of my favorite songs, and more of Lennon. Walrus > Lucy, but just barely.

Thus spake Mujun.

Posted by: UryliahDilmun ( )
Date: June 03, 2017 08:50PM

"Lovely Rita, meter maid; Lovely Rita, meter maid!...
Lovely Rita, meter maid- may I inquire discreetly:
When are you free to take some tea with me?!
Standing by a parking meter when I caurght a glimpse
or Rita
Filling in the ticket in her little white book;
In her cap she looked much older- and the bag around
her shoulder
Rita looked a little like a milit'ry man!.... Ohhh...
Lovely Rita...."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.