Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: June 04, 2017 01:06PM

DW was an early morning seminary teacher for several years (and very good at it). She was dedicated and genuinely cared about the kids and got along great with them.

When our SP's son was in her class, he skipped class so much that at the end of the school year he had more absences than allowed him to graduate, so she did the right thing and graded him "Incomplete" on the grade sheet she turned in to CES.

That naturally drew attention from the local CES director, but she showed him the attendance rolls and he supported her grade.

The SP's mom was aghast and asked what her son needed to do to clear the "I" and DW laid out a work plan that was not demanding at all.

To the surprise of no one, the kid never did the make-up work and the Incomplete grade turned into an F.

With his BYU application looming, DW heard from SP and his wife asking her to change the grade. Absent the make-up work being done, she rightly declined.

A few weeks later the kid walked across the riser with all the other kids at stake Seminary graduation, received his 4-year Seminary diploma, and moved on. DW had been overruled by either the CES director or someone else. Elite privilege had been invoked.

I was amazed then as I am now that SPs and others get treated so very special.

I'd be interested in other stories of how the elites are treated differently in Mormondom.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: June 04, 2017 03:17PM

Right is right and wrong is wrong. Graduating without fulfilling the requirements is WRONG!!

Posted by: dimmesdale ( )
Date: June 04, 2017 03:33PM

18 year old son of stake president takes 15 year old girlfriend across state lines for a week. Parents are traumatized. Stake President is in contact with son and tells daughter's parents all is well. They are alarmed, but are convinced not to press charges with the police.
The two return and resume normal life.
Six months later, SP's son is called on a mission.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 04, 2017 06:12PM

The same thing happens to school teachers. I've learned not to get attached to whatever grade I give a student because the principal can always choose to overrule it. And sometimes they do.

What the SP's son probably learned with time is that privilege will only carry you so far. I'll bet that BYU was an eye-opener in that regard.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: June 05, 2017 12:38AM

I grew up a transient, back pew Mormon. Guess who stacked the folding chairs from coast to coast?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2017 12:38AM by donbagley.

Posted by: txrancher ( )
Date: June 05, 2017 01:04AM

I think seminary is a crock, regardless. When I was going (time release in Arizona) about 30 years ago, I missed A LOT. One semester I told the instructor--a pretty chill dude--that I wrote a letter to the local newspaper. Had something to do with the LDS church.

Said I'd make a deal: if they printed it, I get an A (or something like that.) He agreed. It was published and true to his word, I got an A that semester.

If it is that easy, then shit anything can happen.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 05, 2017 03:24AM

Any story or account of such should tell about WMR's civil marriage one day (in Michigan, bride's family not members) followed by a flight & sealing the next day in SL..

Royalty has special privileges; there's another 5-star one from Seattle that I was personally aware & involved with...

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: June 05, 2017 03:40AM

It's only fair. This SP paid a lot of tithing to get where is was, it's not like his kid gets a free ride. This is what elites do. They pay to send their kids to elite schools, so they can get elite jobs, marry elite partners and get more elite kids.

The cycle of life.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: June 05, 2017 09:12AM

Well, the SP's kid may be an ex-mo soon enough!

Or stay faux TBM and get thrown in the pokey for financial fraud or something juicy like that when he defrauds other TBM's.....

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 06, 2017 03:24AM

No telling on this subject without telling of WMRs civil marriage in Michigan (her parents not LDS), then a next-day flight to a sealing in SL;

I WONDER WHICH GA OFFICIATED?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.