Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Wandering Elf ( )
Date: June 04, 2017 04:21PM

My wife and I spent the past two plus weeks visiting family in Utah. We also had the opportunity to visit Capital Reef and Great Basin National Park (Nevada) during our trip. Capital Reef and Great Basin were impressive to say the least. It was also nice to see family again.

One thing I notice at two separate family events was kids bringing their scriptures (Quads) to the family reunions. These kids were ages 13-16. I thought this was odd. Even as a young active LDS member I didn't bring my scriptures to non-church activities. Further, as I listened to different families who are active LDS, it was obvious these families are highly stressed by the demands of the church. Further, most are in financial trouble. They seem to take pleasure in making it known that being a “faithful Mormon” takes sacrifice but so worth it. Returning to Utah was a vivid reminder just how messed up the culture is regarding Mormonism. It’s a pity that such a place is tainted with a cult like mentality that is painted with such wonderful landscapes.

My brother-in-law asked how I enjoyed living with the worldly segment of non-members (I live in Maine). He knows I left the church nearly 20 years ago shortly after being released as a Bishop. When I left the church, we were living in SLC with kids still at home. I told him although I'm an outsider with the culture of the northeast, and most people can tell I’m from the west, most could care less what I believe. In fact, nobody has ever asked me about religion since moving to Maine over six years ago. The people are decent and not worried about the car I drive or why my kids didn't get into BYU. After spending time with family, I couldn’t believe just how indoctrinating the LDS church is. I guess I was similar to many who are LDS but so thankful to have escaped the crazy Utah culture (although I have to say, seeing Capital Reef and Great Basin was an memorable experience).

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 04, 2017 04:36PM

Do you think you could ever conceivably move back to Utah knowing what you know now?

Would you feel like you could thrive there, given your understanding and much needed space and time away from the cult?

I'm considering relocating there to retire so I can enjoy the national parks, and warmer year round climate of Dixie. Non-Mormons I've met since exploring there who've already retired tell me it's gotten much better just since they've moved there (we're talking the last ten years or so,) in terms of how much influence the Mormon culture still has on the region.

It's a huge difference geographically and culturally between Maine and Utah, no doubt. I've been a NE transplant myself for going on three decades. I'm tired of the Northeast now, and longing for home, ie, my western roots.

Posted by: Wandering Elf ( )
Date: June 04, 2017 04:47PM

I'm a cold weather person so Maine is a great place for me. However, the snow can be tiring. I'm retired and my kids live in different states so location is not a major issue for my wife and me. Further, my wife really likes the colder climate. She is from Sweden and the hot summers in Utah are just too much for her.

The NE does have a unique cultural challenges. The economy is not healthy and the state needs more younger people. Maine seems divide, the northern area is much different than Portland. However, even with such challenges I love the state (although I miss the Rocky Mountains). For us, Maine was a good choice.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: June 04, 2017 05:56PM

That seems very strange to me. I suspect their parents told them to do it as a conversation starter for the non-believers.

You: "You brought your scriptures to the party?"

Kiddie: "Yes, do you want to see my favorite verse?

You: "Sure. Why don't you read it to me?"

Then the parents could join into the conversation and suggest you attend a meeting because they love attending and you would too.

I may be wrong about their little plan, but I don't think so.

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: June 04, 2017 09:23PM

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: June 05, 2017 01:03AM

I think you're right, Cheryl. Those kids were told to bring those books. It was a show of fealty. That is one amusing subculture.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: June 05, 2017 12:53AM

Give me a shout-out on the board if you find yourself coming down to Boston.

Regarding bringing their Quad to a family event, it strikes me as a kind of virtue signaling. ("See how holy we are?")

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2017 12:54AM by caffiend.

Posted by: txrancher ( )
Date: June 05, 2017 02:01AM

Sounds like you are enjoying life in Maine--nice!

My parents live there in the summer (winter in Florida) and love it. I've been there a couple times to visit and can imagine how accepting and nice the people are. I'm glad it's been a good move.

Posted by: gatorman ( )
Date: June 05, 2017 05:56AM

Off to Bar Harbour in July...any specifics to recommend?

Gatorman
Venturing North before football season

Posted by: Rameumptom ( )
Date: June 05, 2017 07:34AM

Could be some sort of seminary challenge to read scriptures daily, no matter the setting.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: June 05, 2017 09:41AM

Thinking along similar lines, it may be a form of conditioning, to keep the Quad close and make it a very personal part of one's life. In the Marines, we kept our rifles with us at all times, so that the weapon was practically a part of our bodies, our own being.

Less ominously, they may have been recent gifts. The children still identify strongly as LDS, and were showing them off.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: June 05, 2017 09:41AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.